The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

THE DETAILS

Finally, it is time. We have finally made it to one of the most epic movie decades of all time, the 50s! When we first began these countdown adventures I knew I eventually wanted to try to host one of these and with the fifties being my favorite classic decade, I made it a goal of mine. Through the support of this forum, my dreams have come true.

The number one thing I am looking for in support is in the graphics department. I certainly have some ideas but I am open to receiving help as it is knowingly not a strongpoint for me. Don't be discouraged if I don't take your ideas but I do welcome them.

The countdowns on this forum have become a staple of the website. From Limes 90s countdown to Vicky's animation countdown to Holden's 70s countdown we have all come together to share the interesting and diverse film interests of the forum as a whole. This will be no different as we look to see what our common Fifties interests are. If you are new to fifties and looking for suggestions there are plenty of great threads out there, like the Fifties recommendation thread and the 50s HOF thread.

THE FILMS

The 50s have been prominently displayed in many Hall of Fames that we have had on this forum. The first 1950's winner was the 400 Blows, a french film by Francois Truffaut. The second was Sansho the Bailiff, a Japanese film by Kenji Mizoguchi. Then there was the Noir Hall of Fame with In a Lonely Place taking it home. Not a bad track record for the fifties with other close contenders such as Some Like It Hot, On the Waterfront, Sweet Smell of Success, Anatomy of a Murder, and Alice in Wonderland.

The fifties was a time period that saw many of the best directors of all time, well, at their best. Alfred Hitchcock made his blockbuster films in Rear Window, Vertigo, and North by Northwest. Ingmar Bergman made The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. Billy Wilder kept his hits going with Sunset Boulevard, Ace in the Hole, and Some Like It Hot. Fellini came out with La Strada and Satyricon. John Ford neared the twilight of his career with The Searchers and The Quiet Man. The great Elia Kazan brought us On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire, and Fred Zinnemann with the classic Western High Noon and best picture winner From Here to Eternity.

It was a great time for nearly every genre. You had your Westerns with Shane and Rio Bravo. You had your epics with Giant and Ben-Hur. You had your war movies with Bridge on the River Kwai. B movies became a big thing with tons of monster pictures (are there any really good enough to make this list?). Sci Fi began its popularity with Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Day The Earth Stood Still.

A newbie to the fifties? A Hulu account should get you caught up pretty quick, with many of the best criterion titles that the fifties has to offer. Netflix has some decent titles as well such as The Quiet Man, The Day The Earth Stood Still, An Affair to Remember and Roman Holiday.

As far as other recommendations go, ask a fellow forum member! Myself (and my limited but passionate recommendations), Holden Pike, Mark F, Citizen Rules, Cricket and others are here to help you fine tune your lists.

While nothing is a certainty, I think we may see some directors break some lists records here, but that's the fun about this all. Ya Never know.

And speaking of records, let's break another one! Let's make this the list with the most members involved!

THE RULES

1. Submit a list of films from the 50s era, ranked from 1-25 to me through private message. Please title the Message "Usernames" Mofo Fifties List. (Ex. Daniel M's Mofo Fifties List)

2. Once a list is send it will be determined as final at that time and no changes will be allowed.

3. Partial lists will be accepted, but only AFTER JUNE 30TH.

4. Number one on your list will be worth 25, number 2 will be worth 24, etc. your number 25 film will be worth 1 point.

5. IMDB dates will determine eligibility for this list, so the film must fall between IMDBs dates of 1950-1959.

6. You must be a part of the site for at least a month before you can submit a list. Known alternate accounts (Dorothy Michaels, Santa Claus) are not eligible to have a list.

7. If you share your list before the countdown is up it will become disqualified.

8. The deadline for entries will be Wednesday, August 10th at 11:59 PM Central Time Zone. This will give everyone a good solid 5+ months of movie watching.

LISTS RECEIVED
Guaporense
The Gunslinger
Holden Pike
Marlon Brando
The Rodent
Tokeza
Nat666195
Loner
Urkillinmesmalls
SilentVamp
Re93animator
Dadgumblah
Sexy Celebrity
Citizen Rules
Omnizoa
Camo
Harry Lime
Lucas
Gideon58
77topaz
Tacitus
Seanc
Kaplan
Nope
Samoan Lawyer
Swan
Rauldc14
Mr. Minio
ThursdayNext
JiraffeJustin
Hitchcockian
Chypmunk
Matt72582
Cobpyth
Skydog
Horroist
NedStark
Edarsenal
Moviemeditation
Meatwadsprite
Upton
Miss Vicky
Frightened Inmate
Beatle
Nemanja
Max
Neiba
Donniedarko
Yoda
Mark f
7thson
Funny Face
Iroquois
Daniel M
Cricket
Gatsby
Cici
Sarah F
Destiny
Friendly Mushroom
GBGoodies
Nostromo
Honey kid
Captain Spaulding
Pussy Galore
Fabulous

I am looking forward to the list!

The number one thing I am looking for in support is in the graphics department. I certainly have some ideas but I am open to receiving help as it is knowingly not a strong point for me. Don't be discouraged if I don't take your ideas but I do welcome them.

Who made that marquee banner, because I think it sucks?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Some of the greatest from Ford, Tati, Ozu, Dreyer, Minnelli, Hawks, Mizoguchi, Tourneur, Naruse, Hitchcock, McCarey, Ray and many more this decade.

I will certainly be able to compile a pretty solid list for this decade. The 50s is a great period with amazing films and I have plenty more to watch.

This is gonna be so much fun, especially with such a talented and respected host.

I'm back and will try to make a list for this having frustratingly missed the sixties one.

I haven't watched an awful lot of the 1950s so I'll have a lot of watching to do.

Link to the 50s Hof thread
There's 13 films nominated there from the 50s, most of them are considered classics and are worthy of anyone's 1950s list.

In late May or early April...a Second 50s Hof is starting.....and everyone is welcomed to join (if you are willing to watch ALL the films nominated), if not you can still watch some films and participant in the discussion.

As I said in the '60s countdown, Hitchcock and Kurosawa are going to absolutely rule this silly thing. Hitch should have five that are locks in Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Strangers On A Train, and Dial M for Murder plus another three or four of the remaining five titles that may show, too (Stage Fright, I Confess, To Catch A Thief, The Trouble with Harry, The Wrong Man)! Kurosawa has locks in Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ikiru, Throne of Blood, and maybe The Hidden Fortress and I Live in Fear show up, too.

A system of cells interlinked
It begins!

As I said in the '60s countdown, Hitchcock and Kurosawa are going to absolutely rule this silly thing. Hitch should have five that are locks in Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Strangers On A Train, and Dial M for Murder plus another three or four of the remaining five titles that may show, too (Stage Fright, I Confess, To Catch A Thief, The Trouble with Harry, The Wrong Man)! Kurosawa has locks in Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ikiru, Throne of Blood, and maybe The Hidden Fortress and I Live in Fear show up, too.
Kurosawa is foreign. I don't think foreign movies are very mainstream here. But let's see he might have his movies in the lower end of the top 100.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	screaming.JPG
Views:	3917
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24407