Step Right In! Witness A Swan Discuss Cinema!

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
I had the same reaction when I first watched The Goonies.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
The grandparents end up being mentally ill individuals who came out of a psychiatric ward and killed the real grandparents.

And a few other people.

Yep. That's the moral of the story. Stay away from mentally ill people, they're killing everyone you know!!!!!!!!!
THAT is exactly what I was thinking it was gonna be.

Master of My Domain
WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
The grandparents end up being mentally ill individuals who came out of a psychiatric ward and killed the real grandparents.

And a few other people.

Yep. That's the moral of the story. Stay away from mentally ill people, they're killing everyone you know!!!!!!!!!
Wow that's like only about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from "it was all a dream".

Wow that's like only about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from "it was all a dream".
Yeah. The whole film was very unremarkable, uninspired, and unoriginal in my opinion. No clue why people are calling it his comeback film.

I think you're being too sensitive, though. I'm not excusing the movie and saying you're wrong -- I haven't seen it -- but the idea of mentally ill people being killers... come on... you're being a little politically correct to crybaby about the fact that it's a movie about mental hospital escapees being killers. I mean, that's good old fashioned slasher film storytelling right there. What if Michael Myers had schizophrenia? NOT that I'd like a movie that excuses Michael as just having schizophrenia... but killers that came from mental hospitals? That could make a good movie.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Sexy. I questioned immediately whether I was being too sensitive, and I still wonder if I am (like I pointed out in my review). But the fact is... yeah, the film hit me where it hurts.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Sexy. I questioned immediately whether I was being too sensitive, and I still wonder if I am (like I pointed out in my review). But the fact is... yeah, the film hit me where it hurts.
Well... I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bad movie. Maybe it all just didn't work. Maybe the movie was too sappy about them being mentally ill people. You know? Like I was saying, Michael Myers could have been mentally ill, too... but it would be annoying if the movie was like, "Poor Michael Myers. He was simply a victim of schizophrenia!"

And I realize horror cinema does that a lot.

I may have to reevaluate my love for the genre, and that's a sh*t feeling too.

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bad movie. Maybe it all just didn't work. Maybe the movie was too sappy about them being mentally ill people. You know? Like I was saying, Michael Myers could have been mentally ill, too... but it would be annoying if the movie was like, "Poor Michael Myers. He was simply a victim of schizophrenia!"
The difference to me is that Michael Myers is never deemed schizophrenic, and there's a metaphoric and supernatural element to him to keeps the film from perpetuating the false stereotype about mentally ill people.

This film just felt different than that to me. It felt mean-spirited about mental illness.

And I realize horror cinema does that a lot.

I may have to reevaluate my love for the genre, and that's a sh*t feeling too.
Disturbed killers in horror films -- as long as there's no supernatural element going on -- obviously have mental problems.

I don't know, but maybe The Visit's problem was the fact that there was a large emphasis on the killers being from a mental institution. Plus, there's the fact that they're pretending to be a grandma and grandpa... and I guess little kids were involved in it, too, right? Did they kill the little kids?

WARNING: spoilers below
The pseudo-grandpa says at the end, in a few words (basically an implication) that the pseudo-grandma killed her own children in the past.

While he's trying to kill the main girl.

I didn't pay close attention to the trailers on TV. I disregard practically every horror film that comes out these days. I do remember the granny telling the girl to get in the oven to clean it. I'm shocked that M. Night made this movie. It's a very weird departure, I think, for M. Night to make something like this schlocky grandma & grandpa horror film that just seems like a clone of all those other horror films out there now about ghosts and evil dolls and evil kids, that kind of thing. I thought he was more of a... spiritual kind of director. The Sixth Sense and Signs had spiritual messages, I felt. This just sounds like an '80s slasher film.

It's just weird to me, that I feel so offended. I hate getting offended because I think people get too offended these days. And I never EVER get offended about stuff dealing with mental illness. I just don't care. I can't help it if I feel like I'm being bullied by a f*cking movie, though.

I dunno. I don't want to think about it anymore. I don't want to think about this film. It just makes me confused about everything.

And I won't be surprised if some of you watch it and think I'm totally over-exaggerating. I think it's different when you're in someone else's shoes.

Well, what I don't get is -- how do these kids wind up staying with a grandma and grandpa who obviously ISN'T their grandma and grandpa? Even if the kids never met grandma and grandpa before -- how come the person who put them with phony grandma and grandpa didn't notice?

My favorite Price film is easily The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Without speaking for nearly the entire length of the film, he still manages to give what I feel is his career best performance, at least that I've seen.. It's a great, fun, memorable film to me....
Honestly, there are times when you impress me with your righteousness

Well, what I don't get is -- how do these kids wind up staying with a grandma and grandpa who obviously ISN'T their grandma and grandpa? Even if the kids never met grandma and grandpa before -- how come the person who put them with phony grandma and grandpa didn't notice?
That's actually explained. It's kind of the emotional anchor of the film.

You know what, forget I said anything. I wasn't offended.
You can be if you want to.

I appreciate The Visit it's not a bad movie... pretty decent one