Taxi Driver

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
I don't have anything against someone that dislikes Taxi Driver, actually, that's the people I wanna hear, and @KeyserCorleone expressed the why he didn't like it, or how he didn't like it that much, and that's why his opinion is valid to me. Just saying it's boring is for me like someone trying to overdue a Picasso painting because he didn't like the colors, actually, is not the same thing, because at least that person is trying to overdue. Say the why, and if you don't know, shut up. I have many films I like and never review them because I don't even know why I really like them. The same for the other way around.
A reason is a reason. Boredom is a perfectly understandable reason to not like something as well as "not liking colors." Not everything has to be expressed with an 18 page essay. You could've very easily asked me why I didn't like it or why I found it boring but you went straight to insulting me by questioning my intelligence and you never even explained yourself. That very much sounds like having something against someone that dislikes Taxi Driver. (And for the record, if you were paying attention rather than rage quitting a video over an unpopular opinion, you would've heard the explanation of the plot being a tired cliche at this point)

A bucket of anxiety
"By the way, you're probably perfect for the guy that watched the movie with you. 'It's Taxi Driver, but with the Joker', 'Taxi Driver is boring'? Learn how to appreciate and then think about creating something. You're far, very far. You don't even know why you don't like something."
Because that's reasonable @Joao;

I don't have anything against someone that dislikes Taxi Driver, actually, that's the people I wanna hear, and @KeyserCorleone expressed the why he didn't like it, or how he didn't like it that much, and that's why his opinion is valid to me. Just saying it's boring is for me like someone trying to overdue a Picasso painting because he didn't like the colors, actually, is not the same thing, because at least that person is trying to overdue. Say the why, and if you don't know, shut up. I have many films I like and never review them because I don't even know why I really like them. The same for the other way around.
Just say8ng it's boring IS boring.

I watched it again yesterday for my reviews. It is a very cool movie, but the one flaw with it is the handling of side characters. Like I said, a little overhyped.

@Ami-Scythe
I don't have a problem with unpopular opinions, I have so many. I didn't rage, I was more stupefied, but then I remembered Thích Nhất Hạnh and mindfulness. 'I am noticing I am being moved emotionally by an opposite opinion' and everything just stopped and I understood you are reviewing movies in this forum and you're just now watching Taxi Driver. (I'm kidding about the mindfulness part, I realized that instantly). Let me put you this way, I don't understand a thing about horror movies, something I'd like to, and I don't understand because my repertoire is very limited, so I regard some people in this forum to extend my knowledge, Nostromo87, Siddon, Seddai, cricket, Iroquois and mostly pahaK, for obvious reasons I'm not arguing about certain movies of that genera negatively or even positively because I haven't yet reached a point I believe I could honestly do that. But you're free to do that, but I'm also free to don't give a crap because you are in a movie forum and just now watched Taxi Driver.

A reason is a reason. Boredom is a perfectly understandable reason to not like something as well as "not liking colors." Not everything has to be expressed with an 18 page essay. You could've very easily asked me why I didn't like it or why I found it boring but you went straight to insulting me by questioning my intelligence and you never even explained yourself. That very much sounds like having something against someone that dislikes Taxi Driver. (And for the record, if you were paying attention rather than rage quitting a video over an unpopular opinion, you would've heard the explanation of the plot being a tired cliche at this point)
Freedom to have an opinion isn't freedom from that opinion being criticised. Someone can find your opinion to be simplistic and implying a lack of effort and so not worthy of much relevance to them.

A bucket of anxiety
Freedom to have an opinion isn't freedom from that opinion being criticised. Someone can find your opinion to be simplistic and implying a lack of effort and so not worthy of much relevance to them.
All I'm saying that he could've judged my opinion without bringing my spouse into the matter for one, and for two, without judging me for my taste in film. For instance, ScarletLion said that I was a bit harsh on the film I was actually reviewing. That's fair. Ahwell said it wasn't fair to judge a movie online based on the first 10 minutes. That's fair. MissVicky gave reasonable opinions of the video I made. That's fair. "You're perfect for the guy that watched Taxi Driver with you," is not fair.

A bucket of anxiety
@Ami-Scythe
I don't have a problem with unpopular opinions, I have so many. I didn't rage, I was more stupefied, but then I remembered Thích Nhất Hạnh and mindfulness. 'I am noticing I am being moved emotionally by an opposite opinion' and everything just stopped and I understood you are reviewing movies in this forum and you're just now watching Taxi Driver. (I'm kidding about the mindfulness part, I realized that instantly). Let me put you this way, I don't understand a thing about horror movies, something I'd like to, and I don't understand because my repertoire is very limited, so I regard some people in this forum to extend my knowledge, Nostromo87, Siddon, Seddai, cricket, Iroquois and mostly pahaK, for obvious reasons I'm not arguing about certain movies of that genera negatively or even positively because I haven't yet reached a point I believe I could honestly do that. But you're free to do that, but I'm also free to don't give a crap because you are in a movie forum and just now watched Taxi Driver.
I just don't understand what me not watching a movie has to do with it. You don't like the video, you don't like my opinion, that's whatever. This, "you're on a low spectrum" **** is what's getting under my skin. You're saying that I don't understand the material because it's too "deep" for me or "too complicated for me" so I just shouldn't be talking and as a matter of fact, I have no business being on a movie forum because I didn't see some mediocre film that pales in comparison to the media I grew up with. I found it boring because I understand the material. I've seen better movies. Why don't you watch a good hood movie and then come and talk to me? Then I'll take you a little more seriously. See how mean that sounds?

No honey, I'm not saying it's too deep for you, nothing is too deep for no one, I believe we're all equal, what makes a distinction is how much of the subject we've experienced, I bring horror movies to the table to explain what I mean, I haven't seen them as much as I would like to, so, I shut up and read what people have to say about them, watch the movie, but I could just say start shouting in the beginning of the run, could say things without really reflecting on them and then change my mind, or don't change my mind. I remind myself constantly that my favorite movie of all time was The Green Mile, and no way I'd change my opinion, well I still like The Green Mile, but not that much.

It doesn't sound mean. It sounds lovely. Hood movies? I love hood movies, even so, I didn't grow up in a hood, but I have curiosity about it. You know why? Because I believe that in the worst scenarios great things born, like the lotus flower. My favorites are probably Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, La Haine and City of God. I also like Training Day, American Gangster and 8 Mile. But, I haven't seen lots of them, I wouldn't really debate on it.

I'm not sure if this is a cultural difference, but calling a woman you don't know "honey" can be seen as condescending, especially in the context of disagreeing with them. I'll assume it's not intentional, but just a heads-up.

Anyway, I don't think it really works to say "we're all equal...except if we've experienced more." It's either/or. I have zero issue with the idea that someone with more experience in a given topic has, all else being equally, usually a more informed and meaningful opinion. But it can't be "here's why your opinion is less meaningful" and then "no no we're all equal" when they object.

All that said, I think people should only resort to those kinds of explanations when the evidence is ample, and I'm not sure it is here. As she's saying, why not just explain why you disagree with something? Why launch into analyzing the person when it's not necessary? That's the objectionable part.

Again, using things I said and adding parts, or putting one sentence in one place to alter the meaning, is pretty much what I'm used with you, that's why I prefer not to respond much of the times, also I don't intend to be banned just yet.

Yes, we're all equal in my view, as human beings, yes, and I didn't added any exception, you just added it for me. She understood I implied she had something lacking for not understanding the deepness of the movie she saw, I never said or intended that, and that's why I said everyone can reach any point, because, yes, I believe every single human being born equal, something I understand if people disagree with, but it's my opinion. In our society one of the things that makes one opinion more important than the other, is the amount of information one had comparing with the other. But ultimately that isn't important, nothing really is, that's my personal belief. I given the example of horror movies in my case. The reason I didn't tried to understand her has been said at least twice in this thread.

Again, using things I said and adding parts, or putting one sentence in one place to alter the meaning, is pretty much what I'm used with you
This thread isn't the place, but I would absolutely challenge you to point me to an example of this happening. I don't think it has. PM if you like, or a profile comment if you want it to be public.

Yes, we're all equal in my view, as human beings, yes, and I didn't added any exception, you just added it for me.
I did no such thing. You make that exception right here:
"... what makes a distinction is how much of the subject we've experienced"
Look, I'm open to the idea that these are genuine misunderstandings, perhaps due to the language barrier, but you shouldn't be blaming other people for them. They come about from normal, straightforward readings of what you say from native speakers.

"... what makes a distinction is how much of the subject we've experienced"
No honey, I'm not saying it's too deep for you, nothing is too deep for no one, I believe we're all equal, what makes a distinction is how much of the subject we've experienced
My point was: we are all equal in our capacity of reaching a high level intellectually, and the difference between those who have reached and those who have not, is the amount of experience in the given subject, is not obviously the experience, because like I said not that long ago: f*ck experience. Experience without dedication, curiosity and persistence is nothing.
Look, I'm open to the idea that these are genuine misunderstandings, perhaps due to the language barrier, but you shouldn't be blaming other people for them. They come about from normal, straightforward readings of what you say from native speakers.
Yes, they are misunderstandings, not just because of the language barrier, it's evident that my english is not that good, it might be actually bad, because I didn't learned english in school, I learned watching lots of movies, but it's also because I don't read things after I write them, or really think about this or that word, I just write them as long as I'm thinking.

By the way, I used the term 'honey' more as a way of not escalating something I don't think we should give that much importance.

My point was: we are all equal in our capacity of reaching a high level intellectually, and the difference between those who have reached and those who have not, is the amount of experience in the given subject, is not obviously the experience, because like I said not that long ago: f*ck experience. Experience without dedication, curiosity and persistence is nothing.
It sounds like you're using "experience" to mean "age." Suffice to say, I use it a little differently, but no matter.

Yes, they are misunderstandings, not just because of the language barrier, it's evident that my english is not that good, it might be actually bad, because I didn't learned english in school, I learned watching lots of movies, but it's also because I don't read things after I write them, or really think about this or that word, I just write them as long as I'm thinking.
Your English is quite good overall, and certainly good for someone who is effectively self-taught. But any complicated subject is going to strain under that sort of thing. I'm happy to believe/accept that most of these things are misunderstandings. I would ask, then, that you express a similar level of charity and accept that the phrasing can obscure your meaning, and that I'm not (and others are not) putting words in your mouth or deliberately misrepresenting anything. Usually we're just interpreting things in the most straightforward way.

By the way, I used the term 'honey' more as a way of not escalating something I don't think we should give that much importance.
Understood, and I thought this might be the case, which is why my response was phrased to be informative rather than accusatory.

The trick is not minding
I loved it as well. Great film about a disturbed and dark soul who was determined to perform one pure act (in his mind anyways) in a increasingly cynical world, with New York being viewed as a hellish nightmare.
Much more to it then that, obviously but I feel I’d have to rewatch it again to properly do it justice