Leviathan

→ in
Tools    

Oscar-nominated film which highlights the problem of corruption in Putin's Russia. Although the story is ostensibly about the struggle of one man trying to prevent the destruction of his house, the wider implications are laid on fairly thickly. A caricature-like corrupt mayor sits drinking vodka under an impassive portrait of Putin hanging on the wall behind him, whilst representatives of the orthodox church are seen as wealthy co-partners in this corrupt system. It's a film that will have some natural appeal to westerners, as it has already caused a a minor backlash in its home country (however, it's worth pointing out that this film was partly financed by the Russian Ministry of Culture!). Although the distinctly Russian politics of the film are laid on a little too heavy-handedly, it shouldn't detract from the story's universal appeal of the little guy struggling to fight back against the Leviathan of the 'system'.
9/10

I'm really interested in seeing this film, I'll definitely rent it in the next couple of weeks.

Saw it on press screening and I was going to review it but I was so sick during the screening that I didn't feel like I could deliver a proper, thorough review of it. So yeah, I really need to rewatch it, but I wasn't in doubt this was a great film when I was watching it.

I liked it but I had heard so much great things I was expecting more. Even the cinematography wasn't as strong as I expected. It was fine but I was expecting greatness.

I’ve seen a few of you discuss this movie (maybe not in this thread). I know @AgrippinaX has mentioned it. I bailed out of it, but put it back in my Netflix Q again & I have it at home to watch it.

Is it considered to be a good movie?

I’ve seen a few of you discuss this movie (maybe not in this thread). I know @AgrippinaX has mentioned it. I bailed out of it, but put it back in my Netflix Q again & I have it at home to watch it.

Is it considered to be a good movie?
Did I mention it? I’m with you in that I did nearly bail out, don’t like it at all, laboured to finish it and generally feel it’s a prime example of ideology driving art (and not in the best way). I like his other stuff, though, especially Loveless.

Doesn’t help that Hobbes’ Leviathan is one of my favourite books, and I felt it was kind of shoehorned in there.

On a separate note, my synesthesia frustratingly couples Leviathan the film with Cargo 200 because both star Serebryakov, and that…. is not a combo most would want to experience. Anyway, I do find Zvyagintsev to be over-hyped, talented as he is. Alexey Balabanov, who made Cargo 200, and who like me has a theology degree, always felt like a much more important genius with much more to say on the same subject. Which, admittedly, isn’t saying much.

But I think to me, if you want to make a brutal film about the corruption, you want to show the worst kind of human cost, which is what Cargo 200 (to me) does better. My mother was personally involved in the story surrounding the attempts to apprehend Chikatilo, and of course corruption was involved, but not in the in-your-face wooden way that is sometimes assumed in western entertainment/thinking, so I know what I’m talking about.

Leviathan sure is worth watching all the way through at least once, I suppose.

Did I mention it? I’m with you in that I did nearly bail out, don’t like it at all, laboured to finish it and generally feel it’s a prime example of ideology driving art (and not in the best way). I like his other stuff, though, especially Loveless.

Doesn’t help that Hobbes’ Leviathan is one of my favourite books, and I felt it was kind of shoehorned in there.

On a separate note, my synesthesia frustratingly couples Leviathan the film with Cargo 200 because both star Serebryakov, and that…. is not a combo most would want to experience. Anyway, I do find Zvyagintsev to be over-hyped, talented as he is. Alexey Balabanov, who made Cargo 200, and who like me has a theology degree, always felt like a much more important genius with much more to say on the same subject. Which, admittedly, isn’t saying much.

But I think to me, if you want to make a brutal film about the corruption, you want to show the worst kind of human cost, which is what Cargo 200 (to me) does better. My mother was personally involved in the story surrounding the attempts to apprehend Chikatilo, and of course corruption was involved, but not in the in-your-face wooden way that is sometimes assumed in western entertainment/thinking, so I know what I’m talking about.

Leviathan sure is worth watching all the way through at least once, I suppose.
Crud. For sure I thought you liked it. If I bailed out before, there’s no point trying again.

Ever have a week where you’re wrong-footed the entire time? That’s my week this week. And is there a full moon because I’ve been acting like there is?

Crud. For sure I thought you liked it. If I bailed out before, there’s no point trying again.

Ever have a week where you’re wrong-footed the entire time? That’s my week this week. And is there a full moon because I’ve been acting like there is?
Oh, no. I know the feeling. Frankly (now I sound like Tony Blair), I feel like one had a few months like that recently. Not sure re: full moon. But it’ll pass, either way.

Oh, so maybe I should take another look.

I think you'd probably have a good idea if it was for you within the first hour.

It's a slow burn. But it's great stuff if one is in the mood

Leviathan was in the Russian HoF. I wrote this 4 years ago, kinda spooky how things have turned out.

Leviathan (2014)

It took me awhile to figure out that this is one gutsy film! That photo I used says it all: look at Putin there on the wall looming over the scene? That's the first clue that this is actually about current Russian politics with all of its ugly corruption and abuses of power.

Later in the movie when they have a picnic and target practice at a remote lake, one of the men pulls out a bunch of old portraits of past Soviet leaders to use as target practice. Now shooting at the image of Lenin or Brezhnev is just kind of funny in and of itself. But it's what happens next that ties in the movie's themes with political commentary. The man says he has some current portraits too and he mentions Yeltsin is more of a drunken conductor (meaning he was a harmless buffoon)...but he never directly mentions the other leader that he has a portrait of, which is Putin.

Leviathan is a monster that can't be controlled, we hear that in the church sermon and by the events that befalls Koyla. I thought all that innuendo was pretty bold seeing how a number of Russian newspaper editors and opponents of Putin have been poisoned. So I give the movie high marks for it's daring social commentary. I enjoyed it too, though it was a bit slow to get started, but once it did I was interested in it.