Books that you would like to see made into a film?

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Consider this the sequel to the "TV shows you would like to see made into films" post, done with a different director. SO what books have you seen that have made you think "DAM! i would like to see that on the big screen!"

Mine would have to be "Once" by James Herbert that i have just finished reading. very good. All about faeries, elves and goblins and all that. Beautiful imagry, sensual, erotic and at times very scary. Would make a great film, maybe tone down all the SEX in it (hang on.....maybe NOT) and im sure it would be quite a good film!

Another would be "Geralds Game" by Steven King. Very Scary book. Frightened the Goolies out of me. WOuld make a good film, might be a problem with 95% of the film having the main character (female) topless chained to a bed. But they could shove a bra on her i spose. wouldnt change the scaryness!

And maybe "Charlie and the Great Glass elevator". Sequel to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Always waited for a film of that when i was a kid.

CS Lewis's "The Chronicles of Narnia", "In Freedom's Cause", CS. Lewis's "The Space Trilogy", and JRR Tolkien's "The Hobbit".

Couldn't agree with you any more! Do you mind if I call you Blib?

Originally posted by blibblobblib
Great list. The Hobbit would be awsome. and the Narnia books.
Even though they are already a movie, it would be good to see them updated and re-released!

Originally posted by Gracie
Couldn't agree with you any more! Do you mind if I call you Blib?
Absoloutly not. It reminds me of my mother.....or is that blob? oh who knows! either blib or blob are just dandy!

Im ok with EVERYTHING!!...........apart from 'Grindle' and 'Murtle'. i dont like those names.......bad memories,,,,,,,,

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. These are my very favorite of all time. Any fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy should read these books. They are just as, if not (doG forgive me) better than the LOTR. Six books totaling 2,787 pages of pure fantasy fun!

Spider World by Colin Wilson. Only 3 of the 4 books in this series have been released. Excellent fantasy writing.

The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. One of my favorite books he's ever written. A little girl, that is Gracies age, gets lost in the Appalachian forest for nine days with only her walkman. Awsome!

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. I know, I know, it's already been made into a movie. If that's what you want to call that trash. I'd love to see a more accurate and faithful representation of that classic sci-fi story.

Imagica by Clive Barker. Barker is one of the best writers of his genre of all time. If you like fantasy/horror then you need to give one of his books a chance. He's the man who wrote the screenplays for the Hellraiser series, Candyman, Nightbreed, and Lord of Illusions. Those are crap compared to his newer, more mature work.

The Book of Swords, Volumes I - III by Fred Saberhagen. The God's make 12 swords and imbue particular magics into each one of them. Once done, they hide them around the Earth for the mortals to find. Let the fun begin!

I can go on and on. I love books as much as I love movies.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Brill list slayton. Im really curios about "The girl who loved Tom Gordon". IM a big fan of King. his a very clever writer. He produces such horrid horrible images from his brain (IT, Geralds Game, Sleepwlakers etc) but then also such beautiful and amazing stories that touch everyones hearts ( ) like the Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.
So I might have to read that one then!

Originally posted by blibblobblib
So I might have to read that one then!
I would certainly reccomend it.

The Future Ed Wood
the two books i would like to see made are:

Magician - Raymond E Feist: In my opinion this is the greatest fantasy novel around and outdoes Lord Of the rings by a great margin. I reccomend it to anyone who likes this genre

Adrian Mole : this woudl work best as a british film as its set in england. the book is great and so woudl the film. a TV series was made once about this but updating it woudl be awesome

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

Seraph of the Void
Call of Cthulhu
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

Originally posted by James2183
Magician - Raymond E Feist: In my opinion this is the greatest fantasy novel around and outdoes Lord Of the rings by a great margin. I reccomend it to anyone who likes this genre
I'm going to the library to check that one out! Thanks for the tip.

The Future Ed Wood
finally someone has taken my advice! you will nto be dissapointed

IŽd like to see a film from the book : Aarre kauraryynipaketissa.
Great book!

Originally posted by AzhrarnX
Call of Cthulhu
Its been tried, but never with a budget. We Want Cthlulhu! HARKNAR! do you play the rpg?

I would like to see the redwall series made, it would be hard, but great!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Originally posted by mecurdius

Its been tried, but never with a budget. We Want Cthlulhu! HARKNAR! do you play the rpg?

I would like to see the redwall series made, it would be hard, but great!
where is this game and why havent i heard of it?

The Adventure Starts Here!
The Redwall series was made in cartoon form and plays on local PBS stations. Check it out. Gracie could tell you more about how faithful it is to the stories. She's seen some of the series and has read a nice handful of the books.

I'd like to see Merriam-Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition made into a movie, but I just don't see how any self-respecting director would get the funding for it.

THIRD Edition, maybe, but not Fourth Edition. Never.