Cowboys and Aliens

Tools    

Looks interesting. I'll check this out despite Jon Favreau directing. He hasn't directed anything great yet. Ford and Craig are very good, though.

Iron Man was pretty friggin great, I reckon. And I think this looks pretty damn entertaining. Can't wait.

I think Iron Man and Elf were both excellent fims, and both quite different, showing that Favreau can handle a variety of material. I also enjoyed Zathura. He's not on my list of favorite directors yet, but hearing his name attached to a project will at least make me curious.

"Live forever or die trying"
Seems like the industry is on a fantasy kick or something, alot of these fiction VS none fiction movies are being developed. Im waiting for modern day john wayne vs predator. Lol

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Pretty cool. looks like a supplemental made for teh DVD release is being used to get buzz going.

with Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard and others

&feature=player_embedded

I'm actually really excited to see this movie. I think it has the potential to be really amazing. The only thing that makes me nervous is that it looks like it could be one of those movies that is all special effects and no real plot. But even so, cowboys are great, aliens are great, cowboys and aliens are double great.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig, Olivia Wilde, and Sam Rockwell, they are going to have to go out of there way to screw this film up, and I really hope they don't.

Star Wars felt like a western meets sci fiction to me, so this doesn't seem so unique. I read a rumour that it's meant to be quite a violent 18 certificate (R Rated) film, which might make me watch it. If it's not, then I don't think I an be arsed.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I did. Might write a review. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. I thought it was kinda predictable.
That pretty much sums up my feelings towards Captain America actually.

Though if i was 14, i'd probably think both were the greatest things since sliced bread.

That pretty much sums up my feelings towards Captain America actually.

Though if i was 14, i'd probably think both were the greatest things since sliced bread.

The real question is then how many people haven't grown up from 14?

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Just saw "Cowboys & Aliens," and I'm not sure why so many of the reviews were negative.

I was entertained throughout the entire film. I thought that the action sequences were extremely well done - not too much CGI and not choppy, either. The first 20-30 minutes grabbed my attention immediately. I was pretty much hooked at that point.

The scenery was absolutely beautiful. It gave the movie a really wide scope, and allowed you to be pulled into the environment without making you feel like you were watching a show at Universal Studios. I was pretty impressed with the look and feel of the film - Favreau paid attention to detail, and I always appreciate that. There were a lot of panoramic shots of the crew riding on horseback on the open plain, which we haven't seen a whole lot of since..well, geez...2007's 3:10 to Yuma.

In terms of acting, I thought that Daniel Craig was a perfect fit. He wasn't James Bond in chaps - I got the feeling that he took his role very seriously, giving his character, Jake, more depth than most reviewers are willing to recognize. Harrison Ford was another great character, whose philosophy was summed up in the film by his Native American right-hand (Adam Beach): "[...] He doesn't like violence, but he'll never run from a battle." Craig and Ford worked really well as a duo.

Olivia Wilde, although an expendable character, didn't annoy me as much as I thought she would. She actually has a lot more to do with the plot; the trailers made it seem as though she would be the love interest, but in fact, she was more like a guardian angel. A cheesy sub-plot, indeed, but not entirely ridiculous.

The aliens in the movie were awesome! The interactions between them and the humans during the battle sequences were nearly seamless. At no point was I thinking, "Ok, come on!" or "Please, that's impossible."

Compared to some of the other summer blockbusters I've seen this year, "Cowboys & Aliens" was a welcomed relief. Although there was some down time mid-way, I was very entertained. It's a movie about cowboys and aliens - how harsh can some of these critics and reviewers be? It's a good time at the movies, as far as I'm concerned.

7.5/10

The Adventure Starts Here!
This movie wasn't really anything like Star Wars (which definitely had elements of frontier/western, especially Episode IV). This is firmly set in the real U.S. post-Civil War West of the 1870s. It's all real, except those aliens. It's a western, with aliens added as the bad guys. It's clever to have all the humans forced to team up, so it's not Cowboys & Indians like so many kids played decades ago. The "Indians" are now part of the good guys' team (after a little squabbling).

I guess I had expected something heavier on the sci-fi and a little less on the western. I kept thinking "Firefly." Not even close. It's all western.

The acting and casting were good.... My one gripe (and I've decided since last night that it is indeed a gripe) is that the movie wasn't campy enough. There were just too many missed opportunities for them to bring out the extreme incomprehension that would naturally come to people of this time period to see all these things. Aside from about one or two lines about it, for instance, nobody even mentions that these machines are FLYING IN THE SKY. Aside from a few comments about demons, nobody seems inclined to freak out and discuss ad nauseam just what these creatures/animals/monsters are.

I mean, heck. We had a train derailment here a few years ago, and it was only mildly dangerous, and yet it was all anyone talked about for DAYS. We all ran scenarios, retold our own stories of evacuation, and it was all-consuming.

So why aren't these people totally freaked out and forever changed? At the end, they all kinda wink at each other about what they know, but don't seem inclined to sit around talking about it. Granted, I can buy that they might not want to tell the outside world for fear of being thought crazy ... but surely it would be the ONLY topic in the saloon for years.

So, as believable as the western elements were, especially in the beginning, when it was almost too easy to forget the movie was going to have aliens in it any minute, it wasn't believable in how people reacted to the situation (except in the heat of the battles).

My two cents.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
So why aren't these people totally freaked out and forever changed? At the end, they all kinda wink at each other about what they know, but don't seem inclined to sit around talking about it. Granted, I can buy that they might not want to tell the outside world for fear of being thought crazy ... but surely it would be the ONLY topic in the saloon for years.

I think that in the end, these people were just happy to have SURVIVED. They're not going to sit around a campfire and talk about it just to reminisce. I think that you can infer that they will be changed forever; they will have nightmares and theywon't ever be the same again. But as an audience, we don't want to see that. I think that's why the ending took the direction it did. Something terrifying has just happened, they defeated it, and they probably just want to get on with their lives and repair their town. What would you do?

You're the only one here posting in Tahoma, so yeah, probably.

The Adventure Starts Here!
filmgirl ... I see your point, but we're not talking about a bad thing like a coyote attacking the townspeople or even an "Indian" attack. We're talking about an extraterrestrial attack -- something supernatural and unexplained and totally unseen before. There's no way at least some of them don't want to analyze it, or continue to ask, "What were those things and how did they get here?" I mean, they don't even have the concepts we have of space exploration and rocket ships -- not even FLYING.

A lot of people NEED to talk through traumatic events to get through them. This stuff was beyond traumatic. It would shake up their worldviews completely, shake their religious convictions -- EVERYTHING.

And, they weren't even really talking about it DURING the events as they unfolded.

In other words, it was like a western that way too -- aside from a few stray lines about demons, for instance, the characters' reactions were essentially the same as they would have been with more "natural" disasters.

I guess I didn't find that convincing -- unless they had played it up a LITTLE more for the humorous or campy effect of juxtapositioning pre-high-tech times with space aliens.

It felt like something of the self-awareness these events would have caused was missing.