Weird Al Yankovic

Tools    

Does anybody love this dudes music? I think its awesome, I love his parody of Whatever you like, White And Nerdy, etc.

Discuss Weird Al!

The Adventure Starts Here!
There's so much to discuss. Lucky for you, you've now got the biggest Weird Al fan in this place right here in your thread.

Been a fan since 1978 (yes, you read that right), when Al was sending unreleased tapes he made at home to Dr. Demento and didn't have a recording contract yet.

Have you ever seen him perform live? It is a truly FUN experience.

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen him perform live twice and have about a dozen different CDs worth of his material. I'd say I'm a fan.

Yes, that sounds about right. I know the #1 slot is already taken. (I've even met him four times, and met his drummer twice, and had his keyboardist in my car with Yoda and his brother.)

NERD ALERT for me.

Was listening to him in the car today. "Whatever You Like" is hilarious (new single).

Welcome to the human race...
There's a huge drop-off to #2 then - I haven't even met him once.

I still haven't heard "Whatever You Like" yet either.

(I've even met him four times, and met his drummer twice, and had his keyboardist in my car with Yoda and his brother.)
Aye, I remember that. There's a little story behind it. We saw him in concert, and afterwards, you said we should hang around, because he always comes out afterwards to say hello to people and sign stuff. The security guard kept insisting he wasn't going to, but we hung around anyway.

Eventually, after awhile, we gave up, thinking it might be different this time (larger venue, maybe). While driving through the parking lot, we see John "Bermuda" Schwartz just jogging in the dark. We ask him if he wants a ride, and he gets in. Says he just needs a ride to the hotel a little ways done, to settle a gambling debt (ha). We meander in the dark through the parking lot, and see some traffic cones blocking our way. We stop, he gets out, looks at the cone thoughtfully, and then kicks it out of the way.

We get him to the hotel, he does whatever he's doing, and we ride him back to the concert setup, where he gets us in backstage. We see the same security guard who insisted we'd never get in, and he says "so, you made it, huh?" We meet Al, get some pictures, and head home happy.

Pretty crazy stuff. Such dumb luck, too.

Good memory there. Except that it wasn't Bermuda. it was Ruben Valtierra, the keyboardist.

One of you boys was sitting in the front seat, and when Ruben offered to get us in backstage if we gave him a lift to the hotel, I hurried shooed you (or Jerm) outta the front seat and into the back so Ruben could sit there.

And you are being kind to the security guard. He was getting downright mean to us and practically MADE us leave. When we came back, I distinctly remember Ruben casually stating, "They're with me."

That was just so cool.

I'll dig out the picture...

It wasn't Bermuda? Wow. I guess I just replaced Ruben with him in my head. Anyway, the rest should be right...unless all of my memories have been implanted in me by Tommy Lee Jones.

Didn't really remember the specifics of the security guard, just remember him discouraging us. Mean, eh? Well, then, I'm glad he got his comeuppance. Mostly because I like opportunities to use that word.

I saw Weird Al perform once - I've talked about it in the Shoutbox here before, I believe -- gosh, was that 2007? I think it was. My friend John and I went and we found Weird Al's tour bus and John got to meet someone in the band... I forget who it was... I wanna say his name was Steve? I remember watching from the second story of a Barnes & Noble for Weird Al to pop out.

It was a good show. I'd see him again.

Steve, yes. Steve Jay, guitarist.

http://weirdal.com/08tour20.htm (and pictures following this)...

Back when he was younger, he ALWAYS came out after the show (remember seeing him in Cleveland the first time, Yoda, with Louie H.?). That's why I've met him so many times. But now that he's older, more famous, and busier, he just doesn't do it anymore. There are ways to get the backstage passes, but even I, as Official #1 MoFo Fan, haven't gone that route.

Yoda, definitely Ruben. I have his autograph too, on the Canadian promo poster I brought with me to get Al to sign. (He wrote, "Featuring RUBEN!" on the poster under "Weird Al Yankovic and His Band.")

They both have dark wavy hair, though, so I can see why the confusion. Plus, you DID meet Bermuda at the Cleveland show when you were ten. He talked to us for a while and was so nice and courteous. (I have that picture somewhere here too...)

He met Steve on the street outside the place Weird Al was playing at. Gosh, I can't believe I could recall that guy name's correctly.

My life isn't written very well.
I'm a fan too. I think it's funny how he includes polka music on his cd's. I laugh every time I hear a modern pop song he's redone to accordian music.

And often times the term 'Spatula CITY!" runs through my head ( Ithink from the movie UHF...?)

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I'm a fan too. I think it's funny how he includes polka music on his cd's. I laugh every time I hear a modern pop song he's redone to accordian music.

And often times the term 'Spatula CITY!" runs through my head ( Ithink from the movie UHF...?)
Yup, UHF.

"Buying nine spatulas and get the tenth for just one penny!"

Okay, here are some pictures:

Postcard I got from Al during his "Fat"/Even Worse days:

Me and Al after a concert in 1996:

Yoda's brother Jerm, Yoda, Al, and me, after the concert we describe earlier in the thread in 1997 (Yoda was 13):

Me, Yoda (in purple t-shirt, age 10), and Al's drummer Bermuda Schwartz, at our first Al concert in August 1994:

Thank goodness the pictures are small and you can barely see me.

I remember that purple shirt. I wore that to the first day of school. Felt like you all needed to know that.

It's scary the things you remember.

For you others out there, it's not like Yoda didn't grow from age 5 to age 10. He was homeschooled until 5th grade, went to public school for a single year, then went back to homeschooling. (And did you know, Yoda, that the school principal called me about a month into that next year and asked me to send you back? Apparently you upped all their academic stats in that one year. LOL!)

Thank goodness the pictures are small and you can barely see me.
What, you don't want everyone to see the John Lennon sunglasses and the long hair in that first picture of you?