Movie of the Month - Sallie Gardner at a Gallop (April 2018)

Tools    

Movie of the Month - Sallie Gardner at a Gallop

April 2018

Decided to analyze a classic this time: the seminal 1878 film Sallie Gardner at a Gallop.

The best way to get it is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

What do you guys think?

To be honest, I think the acting in Sallie Gardner at a Gallop, or 'Horse in Motion' as the title I personally prefer, is really bad. The actor looks at the camera, and that's just acting 101. And the plot is so linear I fell asleep half way through.

this is the movie that got me in to movies. if you're looking for a Great Film, you can't do any better than sallie gardner at a gallop, baby
criticker

Ha! I'm glad this was a joke...because I fell for it at first and thought to myself: 'good grief what a boring movie, I guess I'll have to do a podcast so I can pick a better movie'

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I give it
and that includes its "cinematic" significance - would have worked better as a flip book even if I can't use those anymore. Still, it blows The Master outta the water.

Weird is relative.
Honestly though, if you think about it through the mindset of the guy who originally captured these images... it was like magic. You go back and watch stuff from George Méliès, etc., and it's impressive to see what they could do with their limited resources and materials. I love watching films from earlier time periods because it's the next best thing to travelling in a time machine. (Better, really.)

Didn't realize you guys did an actual cast, hilarious. My actual laugh out loud moment was when Slappy said, "this is an older film".

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
One frame is boring.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.