Movie Tab II

Tools    

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
Stanely Krubrick, 1964

I really didn't think I'd like this at all because I always heard how much it focused on politics. I saw this on instant watch at Netflix, so I decided that I'd go ahead and give it a try. I'm very glad that I decided to do so because I ended up liking it a lot more than I had originally expected. I constantly here this called a comedy, and I think it's just more of a silly movie, rather than an actual comedy. Then again it might just be because I didn't get the humor because I'm not interested in politics, yet. I still ended up enjoying it, though. Ther were some things of the story that I didn't seem to get, mainly just some of the stuff that was said, probably because it had to do something with politics.

The acting in this was great, though, namely George C. Scott, who was like the only character that had me laughing. Just some of the facial expressions he had throughout the movie was really funny to me. I can tell that this movie isn't meant for everyone though, but even if you're not interest in politics, like myself, I'd still say give it a try sometime. Who knows you may actually end up liking it, like me. It's still Krubrick's weakest movie I've seen so far, but I still have 2 Krubrick movies left to see.

Rendition -

A visceral, gripping film of terrorism and the means of which some will utilize to put a stop to it. Good performances all-around and one deceptively shocking twist make Rendition a memorable viewing experience, and better than I thought it would be. The scenes of torture are gut-wrenchingly tense while the elements of romance in the film are splendidly heartwarming. Some things here could have been better (the ending left something to be desired), but as-is, it's a pretty darn good movie.

City of God -

This film has virtually opened the doorway for foreign film-watching for me. Before City of God, I was extremely hesitant to watch all foreign films; I had this deep concern that, somehow, having to watch these kinds of movies with subtitles would detract from their dramatic effect, or that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the dialogue if the action moved too quickly. Neither was the case here.

What a mind-blowing story. And what's nearly as mind-blowing as the story itself is how the story was told. Like Pulp Fiction, City of God (in a way) ended where it began, taking several twists and turns throughout the film, with series of long flashbacks, telling the individual stories of certain people and places to familiarize the audience with them. Then, once everything was finally brought together, we were brought back to the opening scene, and "BAM!" Several enlightening and mind-blowing revelations come to light, all at once.

What an incredible movie. It's not always the case, but with City of God, a second viewing a few months down the road may very well bring it up to that perfect score; it certainly has that potential. My mind needs to set on it for a while before that happens.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

I'm glad the door to foreign films has been opened for you Dom, I'll think of some you may like, probably after you post that list of yours so I have a better idea of your tastes.

MovieMan, while I disagree with your review of Dr. Strangelove, I'm glad you gave it a shot. Nice to see you enjoyed 2001 as well, give it some time, then go back to it.

And for the Sideways fans, I have to say I think that is my least favourite of his films (although it still got a 3/5 from me, which is a thumbs up). I know I'm usually in the minority here, but I can't help it, Election is my favourite.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm glad the door to foreign films has been opened for you Dom, I'll think of some you may like, probably after you post that list of yours so I have a better idea of your tastes.
I'll look forward to it, TPAM. I really am sorry for the delay; I'm sure you know how hard it is, finalizing everything and such. It's proved very challenging.

Classic Dom, you know this isn't TPAM thread?

It can be a bit of a challenge though making a list. That's the main reason I did another 100, there were many films that didn't make the the first 100 but could've very easily.

Singin' In The Rain
Gene Kelly and Stanely Donen, 1952

This was just the perfect movie I was in the mood to watch, very up-beat and fun. The musical numbers were great, well choreographed and the lyrics were really great too. I feel like going and downloading the soundtrack now, because I want to put it on my i-Pod. I find it weird that I like never hear any talk about this movie at all, I see it high on AFI's top 100, but I still never hear any talk about it. I'm not completely sure why though, because it's definitely a great movie. I'm not usually that big of fan of musicals either, so I was actually pretty surprised. The only musicals besides this one that I seemed to like were, Hairspray, Walk The Line, and Sweeney Todd. I think I can pretty much call this my favorite musical that I've seen so far, but then again, I still have a lot of musicals to see.

I kept think Grace Kelly was going to be in this, but I read the name wrong, Gene Kelly was the star of this. Now I've never seen him in a movie before, but he sure did a great job in this one. I guess I'll have to add some more of his movies to my Netflix queue. Donald O'Connor was my favorite character of the movie, his character was just very likable. I'd really suggest this to anyone, because it's just such an up-beat and happy movie that I think everyone would be able to enjoy.

+

MovieMan, while I disagree with your review of Dr. Strangelove, I'm glad you gave it a shot. Nice to see you enjoyed 2001 as well, give it some time, then go back to it.

And for the Sideways fans, I have to say I think that is my least favourite of his films (although it still got a 3/5 from me, which is a thumbs up). I know I'm usually in the minority here, but I can't help it, Election is my favourite.
Why do you disagree with my Dr. Strangelove mini-review? Did you not like Dr. Strangelove?

I didn't really like Sideways that much, BTW. I thought it was going to be great, but then it was very plain and boring when I got around to watching it.

Classic Dom, you know this isn't TPAM thread?

It can be a bit of a challenge though making a list. That's the main reason I did another 100, there were many films that didn't make the the first 100 but could've very easily.
*sigh*

I have no idea how that happened.

In any event, agreed. I imagine that--eventually--I'll do the same after I pump my first 100 out.

And the prize goes to Meat. For the longest time this was my favourite Kubrick film, my favourite film even. The film is about politics but also alot more. Humans are destined to destroy themselves, destined to have enemies, and destined to blame their inadequacies on others. I've noticed alot of Kubrick's films also have an underlying theme of man's fate being put into machines, or even a system for that matter. At least in his three best films: Hal in 2001, the reprogramming device in Clockwork, and the control to call back the bomber planes before they start WWIII.

While the same strength and drive that has brought us to this point in history, to every point in our very short history, with all our abilities (which I personally believe to be a tiny fraction of what is really possible but still quite impressive) and perseverance, it is ironically the same drive that in the end brings us to our demise. Going as far as to get on that bomb himself (in one of cinema's greatest scenes of all time), despite overcoming all the obstacles, man manages to get the job done, and bring an end to it all.

I think I will say it now.

Kubrick is my favorite director, I'm interested in politics, and I want to like Dr. Strangelove. I own it on DVD, I've watched it twice. Both times, I was bored out of my mind. I keep it in hopes that one day I will like it, but as it stands, it's the only Kubrick film I really don't like.

I wish I liked it.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Eh, best Kubrick film? Full Metal Jacket. Definitely.

A Clockwork Orange, for me. But after that Full Metal Jacket takes the cake.

Wishing will get you nowhere my friend. Sometimes certain films just don't click with certain people. Hey, you put in the effort Swan, what more can you do other than giving it another chance a couple years down the road or something. Rep for that effort.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Check my fave list, re: Kubrick. I guess I screwed up by putting Strangelove on there. I seem to recall that you didn't dig Casablanca either. It's no biggie and you NEVER have to change your mind, but if you do, you will be in Seventh Heaven!

Well I'm keeping it and I'm going to rewatch it because it's Kubrick, for one, and I think the more I understand it the more I will enjoy it. I don't know. Like Casablanca, I'm still trying to find that special thing about it that everyone else sees but I don't. I mean, I see more in it than I do in Casablanca, but both are films I'm going to see again in the future. Mostly because I've thought long and hard about both films yet still can't see 'it'.

But enough about me.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Chasing Amy (Kevin Smith, 1997)

Still a great movie. I love movies that can nail the real way I, and most of my friends talk. Trust me, we’ve had the discussion of how Lesbians have sex, many times. Even if some of the acting is lack-luster, the script saves it and makes it well worth watching.

+

Garden State (Zach Braff, 2004)

Zach’s a likeable guy, I mean he’s like the zany best friend you can count on. Natalie Portman seems like a weird girl you could fall in love with easily. Even Peter Sarsgaard is a likeable 'That guy' actor. This whole damn movie is likeable. I just think it was the right idea of havin people live the life they want, but the wrong execution. I don't want people reallly taking so many meds, then going cold turkey, I fear shooting rampages as that happens. Eh well, it's worth a watch.

The Day After Tomorrow (Roland Emmerich, 2004)

Anyone who knows me, knows I love this movie. I started the Roland Emmerich appreciation thread, and I think his movies always accomplish what they set out to do, be entertaining. I'm not saying the acting's the best, nor the plot, not even the science behind it. I'm just saying it's 'Just Awesome Kay?'

Best In Show (Christopher Guest, 2000)

Wow, this was truly hilarious. This was my third entry into the Chris Guest filmography (after Almost Heroes and For Your Consideration, both deserving a rewatch right about now.) This one is probably the best. I love how the actors seem like they live their characters. It’s awesome and I strongly recommend it.

Almost Heroes (Christopher Guest, 1998)

The rewatch that I mentioned above, it wasn’t as good as I remember it. I do love Chris Farley in his last leading role, and Matt Perry is his total opposite, which makes for a good team. And yes, it’s a Chris Guess movie, but it’s not a mockumentary, but it’s still pretty creative. Perry and Farley are explorers Leslie Edwards and Bartholomew Hunt, they want to become the first person to map a way to the Pacific Ocean, before Louis and Clark. I’ll just say that while the idea behind it is pretty good, and history’ll never be the same, this movie is incredibly dumb, but I love dumb movies. I’m proud to put this in my ‘Just Funny, Kay?’ genre.

Re Swan:

No pressure duder. I've seen it once and it may be another ten years before I see it again. It was OK, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. Blasphemy, I guess, but its still a free country, for now...

Casablanca on the other hand, does blow my mind. I have a serious Bogey fixation though. I've seen a lot of his films and I just love the guy. He was an extremely talented actor and when he teamed up with Ingrid and all of the other greats in that cast it was absolute gold in a time when the studios were just cranking them out like nobodies business.

Look at me, I'm a conundrum! Or an idiot.

Double Indemnity
Billy Wilder, 1944

I basically knew nothing about this before deciding to watch it tonight, but since I could watch it instantly for free, I just watched it. I see it's on AFI's top 100, but I'm not completely sure how it got on there. I mean it definitely wasn't a bad movie, but I don't know if I'd call it a good movie either. I know it's more than just average, but not much. I think it just did nothing for me, like I could've honestly cared less if I ever saw this movie. I guess I'm glad I did, because at least now I know that I don't really think that much of it. It's good seeing a bunch of older movies, though, so that's one plus about this.

The acting itself was actually pretty good, especially Fred MacMurray. It really seemed like he was paraniod throughout some of the movie. Besides that the acting, like the movie as a whole, did nothing for me. I guess if you're bored one day and have this there to watch, I'd give it a try. It's not something that I'd go far out of my way to watch, though.

A Clockwork Orange and 2001 are Krubrick's two best movies, with The Shining coming close after.