SONG TOURNAMENT 29

Tools    

Three Days Grace - Chalk Outline VS. Josh Turner - Long Black Train-Honestly, I just started laughing when I heard that voice coming out of Josh Turner's face.
I feel the exact same Crick hahaha that was hilarious

ROUND 1 DAY 1

XXXtentacion - Orlando VS. Tau Cross - Lazarus
XXX wasn't terrible but it really annoys me when the Auto-Tune is clearly audible. Tau Cross debut was great and I love Rob Miller's vocals.

Finger Eleven - One Thing VS. Khalid-Young Dumb & Broke
Didn't really like either but Finger Eleven at least worked as a background music while reading the forums.

Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters VS. Opus & Falco - "Rock Me Amadeus
Again I didn't like either but this pair as so close that it's almost a random choice for me.

The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name VS. The Jeff Healey Band - When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky
Jeff Healey is only mediocre, I think his music is too clean to be good blues. That other song was terrible though so easy decision.

Three Days Grace - Chalk Outline VS. Josh Turner - Long Black Train
Both were really generic songs and kinda passable in the background. Turner's country felt better today.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds & Kylie Minogue - Where the Wild Roses Grow VS. Holly Johnson - Americanos
Where the Wild Roses Grow is really great song, a good mix of beautiful and macabre. Americanos was annoying.

Elbow - Starlings ( Seriously addictive ) VS. Dave Matthews Band - Crash Into Me
Found both somewhat boring but not exactly bad. Very difficult pair to choose (already switched them once while writing)

Hall & Oates - Out Of Touch VS. S'Express - Hey Music Lover
Both are little boring again but Hall & Oates are little less repetitive.

Waiting on @honeykid to vote on DAY 1

DAY 2 & 3 are on the way...
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ROUND 1 DAY 2 & 3

Mike Shinoda - Crossing a Line VS. Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin

Meshell Negeocello - If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night VS. Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh

Venom - Manitou VS. Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down

Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby * Alt. Link VS. Body Count-Body Count's in the House

Liam Gallagher - I've All I Need VS. Kirsten Dunst - Turning Japanese

Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden (Secret World Live) VS. Commuter - Young Hearts

Meg Myers - Desire VS. Breaking Benjamin - Dance With The Devil

Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword VS. Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

Sweet California - Hey Mickey VS. Nikki D-Daddy's Little Girl

Coven - Black Sabbath VS. Skillet - Whispers In The Dark

The Struts - Could Have Been Me VS. Charlotte & Serge Gainsbourg - Lemon Incest

The Black Crowes-Twice As Hard VS. Hank Williams Jr. - Country Boys Can Survive

Alexandra Stan - Cherry Pop VS. Alphaville - Big In Japan

Skillet - Falling Inside The Black VS. Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart

Dschinghis Khan - Moskau VS. The Sherlocks - Live for the Moment

Disturbed - Stricken VS. The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia

ROUND 1 DAY 2 & 3

First is just bland while It's A Sin is sinfully good.

Meshell Negeocello - If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night VS. Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh
Rammstein doesn't need one of their better songs to beat this weak competition.

Johnny Cash is OK but back when I was a kid Venom was the best band in the world.

Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby VS. Body Count-Body Count's in the House
I'd much rather be Vanessa's baby than let Ice-T to my house.

Never really liked Oasis and Liam's solo is more the same but when the opposition is a boring joke he gets my vote.

I just can't help it but Peter Gabriel bores me to sleep. Commuter is kinda OK.

Desire is one of the best pop songs this decade but I do like both of these.

Again two good songs but I'll give slight edge for my own nomination.

Two bad songs but I'll vote Nikki D because she kinda reminds me of Cherie Currie.

Occult rock pioneers win this pair for Satan.

With 1/3 gone of the video before the song starts The Struts only trolls the viewer while Serge trolled whole France with his daughter.

Pretty nice country song vs a bland generic rock.

Dull and soulless Auto-Tune princess vs some real music. Easy choice here.

I'm definitely not a fan of Phil Collins but Skillet left me kinda cold with both of their songs.

Moskau had some heavy Abba vibes but it didn't know when to stop. The Sherlocks I've never heard of before but the song was pretty decent pop-rock.

Disturbed - Stricken VS. The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia
Disturbed has really good vocalist and the song is OK. The other isn't bad either but I prefer bands like Skyclad who mix this stuff with metal.

Mike Shinoda - Crossing a Line VS. Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin (huge Linkin Park fan here and I love Mike Shinoda. Best song of the Post Traumatic album)

Meshell Negeocello - If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night VS. Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh (best live band ever)

Meg Myers - Desire VS. Breaking Benjamin - Dance With The Devil (Top 5 band and Top 5 song from the band)

Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword VS. Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun (RIP Chris Cornell)

Alexandra Stan - Cherry Pop VS. Alphaville - Big In Japan (Great song)

Disturbed - Stricken VS. The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia (Love the band love the song)

XXXtentacion - Orlando VS. Tau Cross - Lazarus - Not really feeling either. Liked the second one more at first, but it started to annoy me.

Finger Eleven - One Thing
VS. Khalid-Young Dumb & Broke - Really didn't care for either but the second is so annoying. I hate his voice. The first is dull but inoffensive.

Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters VS. Opus & Falco - "Rock Me Amadeus - Love both these songs. Is the second nom from someone who doesn't usually play these things? Just ask because it's a live performance which, back in the olden days anyway, rarely did well.

The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name VS. The Jeff Healey Band - When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky - I don't mind the second, but little bits of it in Road House is preferable. Also, I do like That's Not My Name a lot.

Three Days Grace - Chalk Outline VS. Josh Turner - Long Black Train - First one doesn't work over here so I used the official video. Hope that's OK. If not let me know. I'll go for that one. Neither are bad, but neither appeal to me.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds & Kylie Minogue - Where the Wild Roses Grow * Alt. Link VS. Holly Johnson - Americanos - I was talking about the first just the other day. It being about the only Nick Cave song I like. Cos, y'know, Kylie makes things bearable. The other is mine, but it's more the mood I'm in today.

Elbow - Starlings ( Seriously addictive ) VS. Dave Matthews Band - Crash Into Me - Second one doesn't work for me so I used another link which I'll post beneath. If it's not ok let me know. - 5 minutes of Elbow and it wins? Wow. Actually it's in the background. Not too intrusive.

Hall & Oates - Out Of Touch VS. S'Express - Hey Music Lover * Alt. Link - Love both of these, but I'm going for mine partly cos H&O is always on these things. Not that they aren't good.

ROUND 1 DAY 2 & 3

Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin

Meshell Negeocello - If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down

Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby

Liam Gallagher - I've All I Need

Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden (Secret World Live)

Meg Myers - Desire

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

Sweet California - Hey Mickey

Skillet - Whispers In The Dark

Serge Gainsbourg - Lemon Incest

Hank Williams Jr. - Country Boys Can Survive

Alphaville - Big In Japan

Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart

Dschinghis Khan - Moskau

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia

ROUND 1 DAY 2 & 3

Mike Shinoda - Crossing a Line VS. Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin-I don't want the second to win since I've already nominated it, but I didn't like the other.

Meshell Negeocello - If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night VS. Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh-A song has to be believable and I don't believe that first singer was with a guy.

Venom - Manitou VS. Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down-Cash is great but I didn't care for that tune. The other is heavy for my taste but it was good.

Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby VS. Body Count-Body Count's in the House-Lots of foggy memories to go with Body Count.

Liam Gallagher - I've All I Need VS. Kirsten Dunst - Turning Japanese-Dunce is hot and the other was gay.

Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden (Secret World Live) VS. Commuter - Young Hearts-I thought Gabriel was going to fall asleep while singing and fall off the stage.

Meg Myers - Desire VS. Breaking Benjamin - Dance With The Devil-First wasn't bad.

Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword VS. Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun-The first was good and I've gotten tired of Ahole Sun.

Sweet California - Hey Mickey VS. Nikki D-Daddy's Little Girl-How to go against a talent like Nikki D.

Coven - Black Sabbath VS. Skillet - Whispers In The Dark-Trippy baby.

The Struts - Could Have Been Me VS. Charlotte & Serge Gainsbourg - Lemon Incest-Kind of liked both.

The Black Crowes-Twice As Hard VS. Hank Williams Jr. - Country Boys Can Survive-But I do love the Hanky Panky.

Alexandra Stan - Cherry Pop VS. Alphaville - Big In Japan-That first singer, I didn't even like looking at the bitch.

Skillet - Falling Inside The Black VS. Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart-Collins must have been on a drug called suck when he did that song.

Dschinghis Khan - Moskau VS. The Sherlocks - Live for the Moment-You've got to be a real jerk to name your band The Sherlocks.

Disturbed - Stricken VS. The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia-Close; I've just heard The Devil a million times already.

ROUND 1 DAY 2 & 3

Mike Shinoda - Crossing a Line VS. Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin - An easy win for a song I love.

Meshell Negeocello - If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night VS. Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh - I don't mind Rammstein, but it all kind of sounds the same. I like different atm and this is a song I've been meaning to nominate for years. It has no chance of winning, but that doesn't matter.

Venom - Manitou VS. Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down - Both are ok but I prefer/know this one better.

- I've put Body Count stuff up before. I don't remember how it did. Going against my own here even though I've only just rediscovered Be My Baby.

Liam Gallagher - I've All I Need VS. Kirsten Dunst - Turning Japanese - Really can't be doing with anything Gallagher past the first two Oasis albums.

Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden (Secret World Live) VS. Commuter - Young Hearts - The second doesn't work here so I used the link at the bottom. As usual, if that's not ok let me know. Seven minutes of Peter Gabriel? Ummm…. No. It's not even Sledgehammer for crying out loud.

Meg Myers - Desire VS. Breaking Benjamin - Dance With The Devil - Both of these were ok in their different ways. The first is like a record exec took Alanis Morrisette and Britney and made a genetic pop monster.

Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword VS. Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun - I just love this song. Hope it goes far.

Sweet California - Hey Mickey VS. Nikki D-Daddy's Little Girl - Voting against my own again here, I just like it a lot more.

Coven - Black Sabbath VS. Skillet - Whispers In The Dark - I don't think I'd heard this before. Thanks to whoever nominated it, I really like it. Easy win here.

The Struts - Could Have Been Me VS. Charlotte & Serge Gainsbourg - Lemon Incest - I've not really got much to say about either except that I don't watch the videos, so the first minute (or however long it was) really went against the first.

The Black Crowes-Twice As Hard VS. Hank Williams Jr. - Country Boys Can Survive - I quite like the first The Black Crowes album. It's fairly close here though.

Alexandra Stan - Cherry Pop VS. Alphaville - Big In Japan - Sadly a lot of my songs have been put up against the songs I love rather than the stuff I don't care about. Ah, well.

Skillet - Falling Inside The Black VS. Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart - I don't know, I guess it annoyed me less.

Dschinghis Khan - Moskau VS. The Sherlocks - Live for the Moment - Finally! One of mine I can vote for. The other is ok, just not anything I'd choose to listen to.

Disturbed - Stricken VS. The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia - This is an easy win for me.

ROUND 1 DAY 2 & 3

That's not one of Pet Shop Boys' good songs. I'm not a big Linkin Park fan, but I'm liking Mike's solo stuff. That song is moving.

Rammstein is not my cup of tea. The first is a kickass song

I like Johnny's video more than I like the song. Everybody is in it.

I remember watching that Vanessa Paradis video back in the 90's and swooning over her. She was so hot! I still think Johnny Depp is an idiot for leaving her.

Kirsten Dunst's song is catchy but she's no singer, and is NOTHING compared to one of the greatest rock vocalists in history, Liam Gallagher...and no, his song is not "gay". The other one kinda is though @cricket

I recently finished watching Cobra Kai and was reminiscing about The Karate Kid. This song was in the movie and was featured again in the show. Classic! I love it!

Damn, Meg Myers is one sharp-shooting hot babe. I'll take her up on her offer if she wants

I can never get tired of listening to Black Hole Sun. Possibly the greatest rock song of the 90's

Not a big fan of cover versions of 80's pop songs, but those girls were hot. The second was a cool jam from the 90's.

Didn't really care for either. I went with the one that I tolerated a little more

I just recently discovered The Struts. Cool band. Kickass song. Their lead singer looks exactly like Freddy Mercury in his early years, and he kinda sounds like him, too

That is one of my favorite Crowes songs

Alexandra looks yummy. Her song is pretty good. The second is a pleasant blast from the past. Nostalgia wins

I love Phil Collins, but I hate that song with a passion.

I recently discovered The Sherlocks while I was working out. That song came on randomly.

The second song kicks ass

I've never even heard of Liam Gallagher
He was the lead singer of Oasis, and is only one of the last remaining rock stars still belting out great music and touring non-stop

But, hey...

He was the lead singer of Oasis, and is only one of the last remaining rock stars still belting out great music and touring non-stop

But, hey...

OK I know who Oasis is. I never considered them rock but that's just a point of view.

1 Pet Shop Boys
2 Rammstein
3 Johnny Cash
4 Vanessa Paradis
5 Liam Gallagher
6 Peter Gabriel
7 Meg Myers
8 SoundGarden
9 Sweet California
10 Black Sabbath
11 The Struts
12 Hank Williams Jr
13 Alphavilla
14 Phil Collins
15 The Sherlocks
16 Charlie Daniels Band

ROUND 1 DAY 4 & 5

The Warning - Unmendable VS. Cream-Swlabr

Johnny Hates Jazz - Shattered Dreams VS. Stone Sour - Through Glass

Arkona - Liki Bessmertnykh Bogov VS. ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man

Sandra - Everlasting Love VS. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love

REO Speedwagon - Take It On The Run VS. CMX - Kain

Johnny Kemp-Just Got Paid VS. Tomochika, Oniyakko Tsubaki, Naomi Watanabe and Shizuyo Yamasaki - Ghostbusters

Pet Shop Boys - Domino Dancing VS. Motion Device - War Pigs

Lit - My Own Worst Enemy VS.
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold

Linkin Park - The Messenger VS. Soggy Bottom Boys - Man of Constant Sorrow

The Belle Stars - Sign Of The Times VS. Elbow - The Fix

The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian VS. Boston - Peace of Mind

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over VS. Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

I Know What Boys Like - The Waitresses VS. Ulver - So Falls the World

Ambeon - Sweet Little Brother VS. John Williams - Duel of the Fates

Kim Wilde - Keep Me Hangin' On VS. Breaking Benjamin - The Diary Of Jane

Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way VS. Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

Opus - Life Is Life VS. ELO-Turn to Stone

Darius Rucker - Wagon Wheel VS. Mike & The Mechanics - Silent Running

Uriah Heep - Lady in Black VS. Blackhawk - Goodbye Says It All

Elvis Presley - Kentucky Rain VS. Netta - Toy

Sharon Shannon & Steve Earle Galway Girl VS. Secrets of the Moon - Man Behind the Sun

Dargaard - A Path in the Dust VS. Queen - I Want It All

Survivor - Is This Love VS. Three Dog Night-Never Been to Spain

Metallica - Enter Sandman VS. Alizee - Moi Lolita

I'll update this post while listening.

Done. Whew, that was many. Some really tight pairings too.

ROUND 1 DAY 4 & 5

Cream is OK but I really like this Mexican sister trio. One of the best new rock acts in recent years and these girls have good attitude.

Both are kinda fine. I think Stone Sour is little better,

I've always though ZZ Top is little dull. Arkona is one of the best folk metal bands out there and Masha is probably the best female metal vocalist.

I expected to vote Sandra but this is quite bad song from her. Frankie isn't that great either but slightly more interesting.

Both are good but I prefer my own nomination more. CMX have such a good lyrics usually.

Johnny Kemp-Just Got Paid VS. Tomochika, Oniyakko Tsubaki, Naomi Watanabe and Shizuyo Yamasaki - Ghostbusters
Worst pair this far, hated them both. Latter reminded me of the terrible film remake so I'll vote the other.

Fortunately that's pretty bad Pet Shop Boys song and I can vote Motion Device on good conscience. I really like Sara's voice even though there are small mistakes still but I guess it's acceptable for 11-year-old.

Lit - My Own Worst Enemy VS. Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
Nugent really could reduce the guitar wankery and concentrate on tighter songs but my god how generic his competition sounded.

Linkin Park was little flat but didn't really like the other one.

First was bad but really liked the second. Never heard of them before.

I think The Bangles could have won this pair with another song but now Boston's rock output will beat them.

Eye of the Tiger is a good song and even though I've heard it enough times already there's no way I can vote against it with this boring opponent.

I'm not as ecstatic about the new Ulver as @cat_sidhe but it's till leaps and bounds better than this trash.

I rarely like soundtracks without the accompanying movie and Ambeon is just too good anyways.

So hard pair to choose. Neither is bad, neither is good, just so very average. I hope the diary has some juicy stuff in it.

Boy bands, the shameful secret of the 80s. I don't hate them as much as I did when I was kid but still could easily live without ever hearing them. Queensryche isn't that good either but still...

Life is sheit, one of the most annoying choruses I know. Easy win for ELO.

First one is pretty good country song (was surprised when I switched tabs back to video and saw black man singing). Second I didn't like that much.

Uriah Heep - Lady in Black VS. Blackhawk - Goodbye Says It All
Lady in Black is one the best songs ever written. Nothing more to say.

I'm not an Elvis fan but that was surprisingly good song by him. The other is terrible, like someone vomiting sound on you.

Sharon Shannon & Steve Earle Galway Girl VS. Secrets of the Moon - Man Behind the Sun
Pretty bad country vs beautiful and strong metal accompanied by very nice video.

I really like only few Queen songs and while this pair is pretty tight Dargaard just hits me harder.

Second Survivor song on this patch and both got my vote. The second was not for me.

Alizee sure looks hot like hell and while the song isn't that bad either it just has no chance against good Metallica song.

ROUND 1 DAY 4 & 5

All due respect to Eric and Cream, but the energy and hotness of The Warning is just too much to ignore. Great find to whomever nominated that band and song!

Stone Sour is not bad, but Shattered Dreams is one of those 80's songs that get me extremely nostalgic

Arkona sounded good up until the point she started with that Satan voice. Sharp Dressed Man, even though I'm starting to get tired of hearing it, is a way better song.

I didn't like either song, and I especially do not like Everlasting Love.

I recently heard that REO song on the show Cobra Kai in a very funny scene involving Johnny and Daniel riding around in a car and singing along to this song. And Daniel was right...what man doesn't like REO Speedwagon?

The new female Ghostbusters movie was a shame for the original Ghostbusters film, and that cover version was a shame for Ray Parker Jr., Japan, and Huey Lewis (considering the original song was a knock-off of Huey's I Want a New Drug song).

That 11 year old girl singing War Pigs is about 16 now. I'm surprised she has not made any appearances on any of the singing contest shows. She's really good. Ozzy must be proud

Lit - My Own Worst Enemy VS. Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
I actually like the first song. It's one of the few songs from the dreadful music scene of the 00's that I appreciate. I hate Ted Nugent's guts on a personal level, but there's no denying that that song of his is epic and oozes in pure bad-assery

I'm really picky when it comes to Linkin Park songs that I would want to listen to, and sadly that's far from being one of them. The second is a song that I like but a little tired of listening to

I didn't care for either one

The Bangles are great, but that Boston song is epic rock and is my kinda ****

Two songs I really like. I went with the one I've known the longest. Plus, it's Rocky related.

The Waitresses should consider my vote a tip

John Williams is so out of place in this tournament

That Kim Wilde song is long overdue for a tourney win

Tell me whyyyyyyyy..that Backstreet Boys song hasn't won a tourney yet?! I mean sure, I'm a rocker, but I can't deny a brilliantly written pop song when I hear one, and I Want It That Way is definitely one of the best pop songs ever written

Damn, this match is tough! Both songs are big classics, and I like them a lot. Opus have got to be the dorkiest band that was ever assembled and Life is Life is classic 80's cheese and makes me nostalgic. The second is ELO at their finest. My decision was not that easy

I don't like anything Darius Rucker post-Hootie. That Mike and Mechanics song makes me feel super nostalgic for the 80's.

Uriah Heep - Lady in Black
VS. Blackhawk - Goodbye Says It All
Uriah Heep singer looks like the nerdiest hippy that ever walked the earth, but he's a good singer and probably got more babes back in the day than any man could have dreamed of.

Let me put it this way...Elvis is not winning a tourney with that song

I had zero interest in that first one. The second was great in comparison

I know I've mentioned the show Cobra Kai a few times already during this tourney, but that's only because it was a great show that featured some great music, and that Queen song being one of them. I've always liked that song, but after hearing it again, I've discovered that I actually LOVE it and it's one of my favorite Queen songs.

I always had a soft spot for Survivor's soaring ballads, and Is This Love is one of their best

Exit, Alizee!!!