Song Tournament 31

Tools    

Round 1 Day 6

Conway Twitty - She Needs Someone to Hold Her (When She Cries) vs Jumper - Third Eye Blind
I don't care at all for Twitty, but I can't stand the voice of TEB's singer.

4:AM - Our Lady Peace vs Kite - True Colors
I didn't like the voice in the first one. This was more interesting and I enjoyed it.

Beady Belle - Skin Deep vs Looking For The Magic - Dwight Twilley Band
Another voice I disliked vs one I'm apathetic to. Apathy gets the vote.

Ghost - Dance Macabre vs Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand
I didn't like either but the second was more interesting.

Burn The Witch - Radiohead vs Ensiferum - Token of Time
I don't like Radiohead and I didn't like this song. I was all set to vote against it but then I played the other song and the screaming happened. Nope.

Let the night air cool you off
Conway Twitty - She Needs Someone to Hold Her (When She Cries) vs Jumper - Third Eye Blind

Round 1 - Day 6

("Jumper" carries with it a smidgen of nostalgia since I remember hearing this song on the radio seemingly every day on the way home from school back in the 90's. Ten-year-old me would have voted for it, but adult me much prefers the classic country sound of Conway Twitty.)

(Man, that first song was excruciating. Somebody please punch that singer in the throat. "True Colors" was strange and entrancing. I liked it a lot.)

(Rarely am I a fan of songs that involve speaking in place of singing. "Skin Deep" is no exception. Not in love with the second song, but it had a low bar to hurdle.)

(Best match-up by far. I've considered nominating "Dance Macabre" in the past. Fun wins over spooky this time, although I could easily vote the other way on a different day.)

(I find Radiohead insanely overrated. "Token of Time" is killer. Love the dichotomy of power metal with folksy underpinnings. Those riffs will melt your face.)

A system of cells interlinked

(I find Radiohead insanely overrated. "Token of Time" is killer. Love the dichotomy of power metal with folksy underpinnings. Those riffs will melt your face.)
If you like Token of Time, check out the entire record, which just their self-titled, Ensiferum. Plenty of awesome riffs throughout. That might be my favorite folk-metal record of all time.

Round 1 Day 6

Neither was my kind of thing. The first reminded me of Family Guy, so it got my vote.

Not fond of either, but the second caught more of my interest.

Preferred the sexiness of the first.

Tough one, particularly fond of Ghost (yeah got stories about them ). That's not one of their best (imo) but I do like it. Not more than Red Right Hand ...

Both ok songs. Prefer the trippy production on Radiohead.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Today I found out no one here is an Our Lady Peace fan, hahaha.

Maybe because I've been listening to them my whole life, I don't find his voice annoying. Unique sure and I like unique voices.

Suspect's Reviews

Round 1 Day 6
SURVIVORS

Conway Twitty - She Needs Someone to Hold Her (When She Cries)
Kite - True Colors
Beady Belle - Skin Deep
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand
Burn The Witch - Radiohead

Final day of round 1 coming up in about an hour. Need tea first.

Round 1 Day7

Slayer - Spill the Blood vs Kool & The Gang - Summer Madness
I'm not overly fond of this, but the other song was just a little too chill for me.

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street vs Warren Zevon - Ain't That Pretty At All
That's a really good Dylan song, but I prefer Zevon.

Lindsey Buckingham - D.W. Suite vs Bob Dylan - Ballad of Hollis Brown
Another really good Dylan song and one I don't think I'd heard before, but it's not Lindsey Buckingham.

Lady Gaga (ft. Bradley Cooper) - Shallow vs Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Her Strut
I really don't like Bradley Cooper and am not particularly fond of Gaga. This song did nothing to change that opinion. On the other hand, I love Seger.

Shivaree - Goodnight Moon vs Anja Garbarek - Dizzy with Wonder
Parts of the vocals of Goodnight Moon made me think of Britney Spears - that's not a good thing. I did like the music though and enjoyed it more overall than the other song.

Round 1 Day 7

Pleasantly surprised by this choice of Slayer song. It's usually Dead Skin Mask. But that extended mix of that Kool & the Gang song is amazing on headphones, which is how I'm listening to this round's day.

Bob Dylan's one of those artists I think is a great songwriter but his voice, damn. Granted, this isn't his most nasal. The second I'd never heard before, and it's ok.

Lindsey Buckingham - D.W. Suitevs Bob Dylan - Ballad of Hollis Brown
Ok this was tought because that's a weird little tune from Lindsey Buckingham, and I like weird.. But WOW, that's probably the one time I'm impressed with Bob Dylan as is (as in, not being covered by someone else). I think it has to do with how aggressively he's strumming and how hard he's belting it. That's a turn on.

Lady Gaga (ft. Bradley Cooper) - Shallow vs Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Her Strut
The first was ok but didn't do anything for me. The second was pretty bitchin'.

Tough match, I like both. Have to vote for the second as it's an earworm I'm hoping to exorcise. I'd listen to more of the second, so no hate here.

A system of cells interlinked
Slayer - Spill the Blood vs Kool & The Gang - Summer Madness - Second track was a bit boring. Not a Slayer fan, but they get the vote this round.

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street vs Warren Zevon - Ain't That Pretty At All - Man, I just can't get past Dylan's voice, like, ever. Zevon gets the vote.

Lindsey Buckingham - D.W. Suite vs Bob Dylan - Ballad of Hollis Brown - Arg, More Dylan!

Lady Gaga (ft. Bradley Cooper) - Shallow vs Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Her Strut - When I saw the match-up, I chuckled and figured Seger was an easy win. He still wins, but man, I almost voted for the other track - Gaga has a killer voice. Her strut is a better tune, though.

Shivaree - Goodnight Moon vs Anja Garbarek - Dizzy with Wonder - Liked both, but liked the second more.

Let the night air cool you off

Round 1 - Day 7

(Went back and forth with my vote, but "Summer Madness" is ultimately just too smooth.)

(Not one of my favorite Dylan tracks, but I still like it far more than the competition.)

(That Buckingham song was . . . interesting. Not really sure what I thought of it, to be honest.)

(I've yet to see the movie, but so far I've liked what I've heard from the soundtrack. Been a fan of Gaga since she first exploded onto the scene, and Cooper has a better voice than I would've expected. "Her Strut" is just a better overall song, though.)

(The stop-start rhythm of "Dizzy with Wonder" grew on me as it went along, but I still prefer the slinky, sexy quality of "Goodnight Moon.")

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Kool & The Gang

Bob Dylan

Anja Garbarek

Kool & The Gang

Bob Dylan

Anja Garbarek
If he's a bit MIA for now I'll take your votes as his proxy. Gotta give him an opportunity first to vote, so I'll wait a couple of hours still.

Kinda want to pick up the pace and move this along.