Oscar Nominees

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Just wondering what everyone thinks will be the oscar sweepers this year round. Gladiator will deffinetly pick up some awards, I'm not sure if it will get best picture. I think Tom Hanks will win best actor, he'll be nominated at least....Hollow Man will win for best special effects, It really deserves it too.

What else... Unbreakable will probably be nominated for best screenplay etc.

Everyone keeps saying Gladiator is the best movie of the year. But I'm not sure. It was good. It was entertaining. But I just don't see what was so great about it.

Didn't see it.
Which one do you think should be the best film of the year?

I have no clue. Probably some artsy movie I haven't seen. Like Chocolat or something. Maybe Gladiator. I'm really clueless this year.

Just a few early oscar predictions and ramblings
Best Supporting Actor Nominees
Jaoquin Phoenix - Just an evil presence, but he still gave this character such a dynamic. He is a main reason Gladiator reached the level of execellence it did. One of my favorite movie characters of all time possibly.

Jack Black - a wonderful and hard to forget performance in High Fidelity, in many ways he steals the movie. Not to mention the surprisingly good rendition of 'Lets Get It On'

Best Supporting Actress Nominees
Kate Hudson - She made an easily sad and pathetic character, very lovable and attractive. A star making role, you walk out of Almost Famous, thinking about her.

MovieForums Extra

I really have no idea, as you all know 2000 was a pretty meagre year for cinema!

I'm not sure Gladiator will pick up Best Picture, but I think it will be between Glaiator and The Patriot at least...

Mel Gibson might be nominated for Best Actor for the Pariot. Then again, it might be Tom Hanks for "Cast Away".

Perfect Storm had some nice special effects, it wasn't too bad...it might get a nomination at least.

Overall, it won't be anything spectacular!

MovieForums Extra

I know, that's what I thought as well. My reasoning was that the academy awards wouldn't exactly snub such a movie regardles...My brother said that the preview was the best thing about the movie, it got all the best scenes and put them together, without all the long-winded boring stuff
I didn't think it was much of a drama anyway...

I hope Best Film goes to Gladiator and Best Actor to Tom Hanks for Cast Away and director win for Robert Zemeckis. Best Actress may be a surprise with Julia Roberts winning for Erin Brockovich, but I'd like Helen Hunt to win for Pay It Forward. Best Supporting Actor and Actress could literally be anybody this time. Best Screenplay to Cast Away, Best Score and Best Costumes to Gladiator, and make-up to Grinch. Nothing comes to mind for Best Song, but Best Effects should be Gladiator with sound awards going to U-571. Set design and photography to Gladiator. LOL...the rest of the awards are anybodys guess.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

I'm looking at Russell Crowe taking Best Actor and Julia Roberts, Best Actress. Best Movie is certainly Gladiator though, Cast Away has good chances.

Surprisingly, no one gave a thought to Best Song. Having no options mind, Charlie's Angels 2000 by Apollo 440 sounds good despite it being a dance tune. I think that Phil collins shouldn't have got Best Song last year, for that Tarzan song. I think Music Of My Heart by N Sync and Gloria Estefan was excellent.

Let's relish on last year's while we wait for the nominees to be annouced, how's that?

Never seek the wind in the field - it is useless to try and find what is gone - "Kane & Abel by Jeffery Archer"

I'm torn this year - but Unbreakable better get something for that camerawork! Unbreakable has become one of my favorite movies - I like it more everytime I think about it. It was just "pretty good" right after I'd seen it, but is "fantastic" now.

I'd say Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ought to be nominated for something. It was oddly entertaining and followed a typical movie storyline without being typical in other respects. Weird, huh?

Oh, and BTW: I liked The Patriot. I'm a bit "American" type and get all mushy over the Revolutionary War. Fact of the matter is that movie showed you what it was like to live in that time and have no choice but to fight for your freedom. That alone makes it great.

And, of course, it was well done, too. Wasn't some new type of movie or mind-boggling and original, but it was still good. However, it could have been truly great had it changed one thing about its plot.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
I'm a bit "American" type and get all mushy over the Revolutionary War.
Why should you get all mushy? You weren't alive at the time and I doubt you know anyone who was. Sorry if it sounds like im yelling at you are something but I don't see why so many Americans try to be all touchy and proud when it comes to the revolutionary war. They took no part in it. I can understand WWII or Viet Nam but the Revolutionary War, I just don't get why.

Isn't it obvious? Because I am fortunate to not have been born in that time, and incredibly thankful for the people who died just so I could live in this great country. They were brave and died for ME. Yes, me specifically: all of us, specifically.

Maybe! Some people do. Part of it is that there are countries without freedom in existence today, and it was actually against the odds for me to be born in this one. You and I are both incredibly fortunate in that respect.

The thing is, when you think about people dying for you, you start to think about your life, and whether or not it has been worthy of the lives of those people. It is motivation to live a good life to honor those before you.

Traffic definitely has oscar buzz, and I think You Can Count on Me does too. Maybe American Psycho too. This wasn't the best year for movies though, I don't think. Almost Famous definitely deserves some thought. Who are your picks for best actress/actor? I think Laura Linney did great in You Can Count on Me, and so did Mark Ruffalo. Julia Roberts will probably get a nomination for best actress in Erin Brockovich. Also, Benidicio del Toro in Traffic--great flick!

I actually have not seen You Can Count on Me, Traffic, or Almost Famous. I have seen Erin Brockovich - I didn't like it a whole lot, though. It had its moments, but wasn't amazing.

I hope Unbreakable gets something for it's camera work. I'll have a fit if it doesn't. Other than that, I'm rooting for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Gladiator.

yeah i wouldn't really think julia roberts was oscar worthy in that film, but stil, i won't be surprised since that movie got lots of attention and had such a large social cause behind it.

I need to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Traffic is great, and Benicio del Toro does especially good when you compare this to his role in Snatch. Both are completely different roles, and both really emphasize his acting ability.

Best in Show will probably also get some attention for an oscar.