Alien: Covenant footage was screened. Results are in...

Tools    

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1597...actions-are-in

And it looks promising. Though I rarely put much stock into these reaction articles, I have to say this is giving me a smidgen of hope.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1597...actions-are-in

And it looks promising. Though I rarely put much stock into these reaction articles, I have to say this is giving me a smidgen of hope.
Very interesting.

WARNING: spoilers below
It does make you think about how relatively tame Prometheus was in terms of body horror. But if they're setting out to make us all sick, this is the franchise to do it with.

Ooh, sounds very promising indeed! As a fan of the Alien in any movie (yes, even the vs. Predator flicks, on a lesser level), I'm eagerly awaiting this one. Can't wait until they release a trailer. Thanks for the news, MonnoM!

Finished here. It's been fun.
I'm absolutely stoked for this film! Ridley Scott might be considered a "hit or miss" director, but one thing is for sure: his films are always stunning visually. Alien & Blade Runner are stone-cold masterpieces, and even his lesser efforts like Prometheus are very well-done.

I'm really glad that this is going for the atmospheric horror vibe of the original. I think he'll really deliver with this one!

Ooh, sounds very promising indeed! As a fan of the Alien in any movie (yes, even the vs. Predator flicks, on a lesser level), I'm eagerly awaiting this one. Can't wait until they release a trailer. Thanks for the news, MonnoM!
Don't you remember that the trailer for Prometheus was awesome, and the movie was awkwardly stupid for something on that level. It's better to manage your expectations.

It's rumored that the trailer is going to drop any day now.

And this article also features some stills.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/...er-david-bowie

"Our friends over at Trailer Track, who recently tipped us off to the arrival of yesterday's Blade Runner 2049 trailer, are back with a new heads up: according to them, the Alien: Covenant trailer will be here any day now...and will feature a David Bowie cover.

Here's what they're saying:

The trailer (reportedly soundtracked by a trailer-ised David Bowie cover – way to jump onto that trend) has been screened to press by Fox at various showcase events over the last few weeks, and looks to be the final big-name trailer release of 2016. Word from these events is that, while it’s not playing theatrically with Assassin’s Creed in the U.S. this week, we could be seeing the trailer sometime this weekend – and if the new daily release of stills accompanied by mysterious number series is to go by, we are definitely getting close."

It's funny, I've no desire to watch the Blade Runner 2049 trailer but I am looking forward to the one for Alien: Covenant. And I like Blade Runner. It's like burnout, but perhaps I'm just skeptical about Blade Runner 2049 being a worthy follow-up.

It's funny, I've no desire to watch the Blade Runner 2049 trailer but I am looking forward to the one for Alien: Covenant. And I like Blade Runner. It's like burnout, but perhaps I'm just skeptical about Blade Runner 2049 being a worthy follow-up.
I liked the Blade Runner trailer. For a teaser it was sufficient in piquing my interest and I thought it looked incredible. Now, whether the film itself will live up to the hype remains to be seen. I really hope it does. It's hard to make a sequel as good, if not better than the original, let alone one years after its predecessor. History has mostly proven that it's nearly impossible to make a sequel this long after the original and make it successful. But, we'll see. No pressure.

I just want the Alien Covenant trailer to come out already. Look at this, I'm actually getting excited about a new Alien movie. If this one disappoints me, I don't think I'll be able to recover.

if there's an alien in it, I'm there...

Teaser has arrived!

Not much, but at least now we finally know when we get the official trailer.

Merry X-mas, everyone!

One of the most anticipated films of 2017 for me, along with Blade Runner 2049 and Star Wars VIII. It seems that Ridley Scott is going back to the deep roots of the franchise he launched and that is a good thing! More chest-bursting please!

Edit: Trailer just came out. Looks a bit too Prometheus-y to me. OK, but not up to my very high expectations.

In the Beginning...
Not impressed. It looks very rehash-y. Another crew, another planet, another "curiosity killed the cat" plot.

And come on, an alien spoiling shower sex? You're better than this, Ridley. (Or are you?)

My immediate thoughts:

The song annoyed me most because it makes it seem like Suicide Squad or other current films that have tailored song covers on their trailers. It's something I find a bit too self-aware and takes away from the film's identity. The Raindrop Prelude played over the end titles of Prometheus was beauty following horror, and it attained a latent scariness and an ominousness as a result. This doesn't achieve that.

Aside from that what I found odd is that the film doesn't appear as visually interesting as either Alien or Prometheus; Billy Crudup is the only actor aside from Michael Fassbender who looks like a decent character.

And it does puzzle me a bit why every planet has to look so much like Earth; but, fair enough, the Engineers probably created at least some of what our planet looks like.

Looks very bloody and horrible but let's hope there's a point to it rather than it just being sensational (plus we know before seeing it exactly who dies first). I do like the new ideas that have been described recently, as if the planet itself is deadly.

it needs another score definitely, the music in the trailer is taking away from the alien franchise identity.

One of the other things that was bugging me:

The backburster clip. How much of that sequence is the actor and how much CGI (apart from the obvious)? I feel like the percentage is weighted towards the CGI end* – the man's back looks unreal when what's needed is much more reality for it to be truly shocking. If you were to compare it to John Hurt especially, but also Noomi Rapace in Prometheus, there was an almost total reliance on the actor and the actor's body to convey what was happening. I think Scott's putting too much store on effects here in a way that is unusual for him.

*One thing I did overlook with this is that this man has been infected by the black liquid in 'pollen' form, so he's probably not just incubating an alien but his body is mutating as well, a bit like Holloway in Prometheus. That would account for why his skin almost looks translucent. I have to say though that even with that in mind the sequence doesn't work so well to me.

I was thinking about the trailer again today and there was a familiar character about it I couldn't pin down. Now I think I have:

It reminds me of a fan film trailer, which I don't mean in a way that denigrates fan films, but that there are aspects that are a bit rough around the edges. An example, which I think triggered the thought in the first place, is the clip where a man allows a woman to run out, then follows.

I'm on board. I liked Prometheus well enough despite the problems I had with it, and this one looks closer to the original, both my favorite horror, and sci fi film of all time arguably. But, who knows. Mr. Scott is very sporadic in terms of film quality, you never know when he's going to drop a a good one. I mean, I thought The Martian was his best since Thelma and Louise, and that was coming off of the heels of Exodus, which I've heard isn't very good.