Rapid Speed Song Tournament

Tools    

Devo - Are You Experienced vs. Breaking Benjamin - So Cold

Wacky and interesting first song, the second is more... music-like, at least

Twisted Sister - Leader Of The Pack vs. Bad Brains - Big Takeover

The Bad Brains song sounds cool yet didn't find the music itself all that layered.

Cosmo Sheldrake - Come Along vs. Dark Funeral - Secrets of the Black Arts

Don't like either, the second is TOO STRANGE

Richter Plays Bach - WTC1 No. 5 in D Major vs. Laura Branigan - Self Control

Branigan

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freddys Revenge 85.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	51821  

Cosmo Sheldrake - Come Along vs. Dark Funeral - The Secrets of the Black Arts

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Weird is relative.

1984 was a fantastic year in music.

Loved the Twisted Sistahs since I was a kid!

I was listening to a list of singles by "new and upcoming artists" and out of the numerous bland, pop-radio-friendly tracks I heard that all sounded the same, this was the sole standout. It's unique and unexpected.

The other one is catchy, but I always appreciate great piano compositions.

Listened all the songs already before pairings.

Neither is bad. BB sounds to me little generic but it's still closer to my type of music.

By far the toughest match-up. Bad Brains is energetic for sure but I'll still vote for one of the greatest metal frontmen of all time.

I just like good black metal and it fits the "theme" of this tourney so well. One of my favorite drummers too.

I'd really need to familiarize myself with some classical music one day. Sadly a tournament like this doesn't really work for that so I'll go with a good old pop song.

I actually just changed my vote here after thinking for a second. I like some of Devo's stuff but the BB tune takes this for me. Kind of an OK tune even tho not a BB fan

Twisted Sister - Leader Of The Pack vs. Bad Brains - Big Takeover -I like the TS tune but BB are just more my thing

Cosmo Sheldrake - Come Along vs. Dark Funeral - The Secrets of the Black Arts .

The drums are obnoxious, I love it! The other tune - I appreciate the chamber approach but not digging the singer and music kind of dull to my ears

I like some classical, and the Bach piece was solid - but the Branigan tune is so sophisticated and 80's so

Hmmm... I have some other classical pieces in mind, now that I know the tastes of a lot of MoFoers, that I think might be more on the metal side for another tournament.

Devo - Are You Experienced vs. Breaking Benjamin - So Cold...I don't know if it's the song or the ultra funky video that I love, but I do love this.

Twisted Sister - Leader Of The Pack vs. Bad Brains - Big Takeover...I was around in the 80s and I remember how big Twisted Sister was on MTV, but I was never really into them. Though I do dig this cover version. Bad Brains - Big Takeover interesting it reminded of early Sex Pistols.

Cosmo Sheldrake - Come Along
vs. Dark Funeral - The Secrets of the Black Arts...No contest, I didn't love Come Along but it was worlds better than that noise that came out of the other one.

Richter Plays Bach - WTC1 No. 5 in D Major vs. Laura Branigan -Self Control...The classical one was nice, but I love that Laura Branigan song and gosh I had forgot all about it, but I remember when it came out and I really dug it.

These Songs Got Beat By The Other Ones

Devo - Are You Experienced
Bad Brains - Big Takeover
Richter Plays Bach - WTC1 No. 5 in D Major

Can we get a Tie-Break on this matchup below ↓ First to vote breaks the tie. @rauldc14 @MovieMeditation @Swan @cat_sidhe @Tugg @edarsenal @the samoan lawyer @CosmicRunaway

After that we'll start THE NEXT ROUND.

Cosmo Sheldrake. Whoever nominated it is probably a rad person.

Cosmo Sheldrake - Come Along vs. Laura Branigan - Self Control

Twisted Sister - Leader Of The Pack vs. Breaking Benjamin - So Cold

Weird is relative.

Come Along's growing on me. Unique style and intonations with a rad message. The vocals aren't really what I go for. It's cool though, and my mind's opening to it. Self Control's close to what I usually go for, the chorus is my least favorite part of the song and is hitting me as a more dated entry from the time, (perhaps) interestingly. The song is enjoyable, but not on a love-basis for me right now. Siding with a new direction in this case

In a mood for fun times, and lots of them, these days

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lf.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	51863  

Self Control is one of my favorite disco/pop tunes so it's pretty easy win. I still think Cosmo Sheldrake is better than I originally though.

Dee Snider is such a great singer and great frontman. Also huge respect for the TS for working their ass off for their fame and being spectacular live band.