The Spooktacular Groove Tournament

Tools    

bravura :O
actually, if i could sit down more of them. these band is creepy af
Luckily I was in the gallery sitting down...they were creepy AS ****.

Cat, can I pls switch out Band Of Horses - The Funeral
for
Horrorpops - Walk Like A Zombie

and Uriah Heep - Sell Your Soul
for
Schoolyard Heroes - Cemetery Girls

and also The Black Keys - When The Lights Go Out
for
Agent Side Grinder - Last Rites

Ta ever so!
(I've updated my initial noms post with them in order so you can just copy/paste from there if that's easier)

Day 1 round ! is coming up in few minutes, just checking that everyone's ok with random.org being used as it may mean that one of your noms goes up against another one of your own. It sounds harsh, but in fact actually guarantees one of your songs going through to the next round.

That cool with everyone?

The positive side of being matched up against yourself is that you're guaranteed to have one of your songs make it through that round haha.
I think that's how I won the pop-up tournament. Was matched up against my own nominations quite a few times.

Kewl by me, I prefer to only join tourneys where the match-ups are actually random.

I'll prolly have to listen and vote in the morning as today's the last full day I'm gonna get to spend with herself this month, just giving a heads-up - I'll not forget and will be voting .... eventually

I'll prolly have to listen and vote in the morning as today's the last full day I'm gonna get to spend with herself this month, just giving a heads-up - I'll not forget and will be voting .... eventually
That's ok, I'm only doing 8 match-ups for round one, so it's 4 days for Round 1, with a voting session per day. I'll most probably put up each round at around 8pm GMT+1 every day. @cricket has offered to be a tie breaker should one be needed.

That's ok, I'm only doing 8 match-ups for round one, so it's 4 days for Round 1, with a voting session per day. I'll most probably put up each round at around 8pm GMT+1 every day. @cricket has offered to be a tie breaker should one be needed.
I'll be able to ace every set after today. If any of mine are involved in a tie you might as well just automatically put whatever the opposition is through then ..... nah, on second thunks scrub that - might as well make him at least suffer having to listen to them

ROUND 1 - DAY1

Heathen Apostles - Death's Head vs L'Arc~en~Ciel - Drink it down
That Gothic Americana sounded quite interesting and I liked the video too. I may have to check out these Heathen Apostles. The other isn't terrible either but really generic.

Michael Jackson - Workin' Day and Night vs Graveyard Train - Bit by a Dog
Not nearly as good as the Americana in the first pair this Country song is still much more to my tastes than Michael Jackson. It's way too repetitive though.

Kajagoogoo - Too Shy vs XTC - The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead
Didn't like the first at all. Way too sweet and syrupy for me. The second is just a generic rock song but at least it isn't exactly irritating.

Schoolyard Heroes - Cemetery Girls vs Tau Cross - Hangman's Hyll
I did like Cemetery Girls quite a bit and will check out this band as well. Unfortunately they're up against a solid 5/5 spooky Halloween crust.

Rob Zombie - Dragula vs Peeping Tom - Mojo (Feat. Rahzel & Dan The Automator)
Not a fan of either but Rob Zombie is closer to being good (it feels like a first iteration of a song that was supposed to be good but was never finalized).

Queens of the Stone Age - Turnin' on the Screw vs The Jacksons - Torture
First song did nothing to me (was reading some forums while it was playing and I've already forgotten it). The Jacksons song was surprisingly OK. Much better than Michael's solo stuff.

Oingo Boingo - Weird Science vs Alice Cooper - (He's Back) The Man Behind the Mask
Didn't like either that much. I was contemplating to nominate Alice Cooper as well but this really isn't one of his good songs. Still kinda better than the other.

Shinsei Kamattechan - yugure no tori vs Tonbruket - Trackpounder
The first sounds awfully familiar. Is it a cover or rip-off of something? Anyways it's kinda nice and has this weird mellow sound. Don't like the other that much.

ROUND 1 DAY1

Oh boy, some difficult match-ups already.

Haven't heard either song before, but the first was more my bag of nuts. I also have a thing for fiddles.

Tough choice for me as I love early Michael Jackson and that comes off a great album. But I'd never heard the second before. I really liked it. Ugh. Hate the tought choices. I'm happy for either to go through, and since I have to vote, the newbie gets it.

Love this 80s song. Limahl is kind of awesome, and that bassline. Wat even....

Another two first times for me, preferred the first.

Tough one as I like that Rob Zombie song. Just not enough to beat Mike Patton, a human beatbox and Dan the Automator.

UGH! Another hard one. I'm going with The Jacksons because I don't know the song and it's pretty awesomely 80s, even though I do love my own own.

Oingo Boingo - Weird Science vs Alice Cooper - (He's Back) The Man Behind the Mask
HARDEST MATCH-UP SO HAR. I love that Oingo Boingo song, but...Jason. JASON DONE BY ALICE.

Wasn't really a fan of the first, so it goes to the Swedes. I love that album btw. It's kind of indescribable and very, very good.

ROUND 1 - DAY1

Didn't like the first at all. Way too sweet and syrupy for me. The second is just a generic rock song but at least it isn't exactly irritating.
Hm, I can't help myself by replying to this as XTC are anything but generic. The instrumentation, Colin's walking bass line, the jangly guitar, the crisply compressed snare drum, the modality of this pop tune is not what I learned as beign generic. It does touch down on a familiar sense of format in that it has all of the verse.chorus.bridge.chorus bridge formula, making it a properly assembled tune, but with a bit more peripheral on XTC I'm willing to bet that your perspective might be altered, if only by a little bit.

Good starting point album - Drums and Wires or English Settlement.

EDIT: Actually, my description was for The Mayor of Simpleton..another better track from their Oranges/Lemons album.

Sorry, carry on lol.

The provided link for "Cemetery Girls" does not work here. I have listened to this one instead. If this is the wrong song please let me know and I will re-evaluate that match-up.

Round 1 | Day 1

That first video is really interesting but the music is not really my style. One of my friends used to be big into L'Arc~en~Ciel, but I haven't thought about them in years. I do not remember this song from DMC4 at all, but then again I've also blocked a lot of that game out of my mind haha.

"Workin' Day and Night" is no "Thriller", but it gets my vote here. I like the lyrics for "Bit by a Dog", but again that style of music is just not something I particularly like.

Fun fact: I only very recently learned that the Crash Test Dummies version of "Peter Pumpkinhead" was a cover haha. I like the original more, which is why I nominated it instead of the version I'm more familiar with. I've actually heard "Too Shy" quite a few times before, but never knew the group's name. Now I do!

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of either of these.

"Dragula" always reminds me of Big Shiny Tunes 3 haha. Do they still make those compilation CDs? Do people even still buy CDs? Despite the nostalgia that "Dragula" has, I'm just really digging this "Mojo" song for some reason.

I only ever hear the same two songs from Queens of the Stone Age, so it's nice to hear something different even if it's not getting my vote here.

Even though both of these are my nominations, this isn't even remotely close. "Weird Science" is a song that is almost always stuck in my head. I unashamedly love Oingo Boingo.

That first song is very strangely familiar, though I have no idea where I would have heard it before. I see that pahak has said the same thing. Maybe it was used in a film we both saw? I do like the sound of "Trackpounder", but it felt like I was waiting for the song to start, and it never did.