The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

PRE-FLIGHT CHECK

If you've never joined a HoF before or would like a refresher, here are the rules:
  • Everyone who joins must nominate a sci-fi film by sending it to me via Private Message. Do not reveal your nomination in the thread!
  • Your nomination should be under 220 minutes in length, and cannot have won any previous Hall of Fame. Some popular sci-fi films that have previously won include Alien (1979), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Solaris (1971), and The Thing (1982). For the full list, please see this thread.
  • Any film that is listed on the Google information sidebar, IMDB, or Wikipedia as sci-fi is eligible for this HoF. If your film is not described as sci-fi in any of those locations, we can discuss in PM whether or not it is an appropriate nomination.
  • Everyone who joins must watch all of the nominated films. You do not have to post a full, elaborate review in the thread, but you do need to say something about each film.
  • The amount of time you have to watch all films will amount to approximately one week per film nominated. More films means more time to watch them, and less films means the deadline will be closer.
  • When you have finished watching all of the nominations, PM me a ranked list (where #1 is your favourite film) of all nominations. Films will be scored based on where they ranked on everyone's lists, with the final reveal happening after everyone has submitted a list.

CREW MEMBERS ON BOARD

CosmicRunaway - nomination decided
John-Connor - nomination received
Siddon - nomination received
ahwell - nomination received
Citizen Rules - nomination received
edarsenal - nominated received
rauldc14 - nomination received
Nathaniel - currently missing
pahaK - nomination disqualified
ScarletLion - nomination received
Yam12 - nomination disqualified
Okay - nomination received
TheUsualSuspect - nomination received

We are no longer accepting new test subjects participants!
The last day to submit a nomination was Friday, May 3rd.

MISSION DEADLINE

Saturday August 3rd, 2019

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	scifibanner-2.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	53601  

You're travelling through another dimension,
a dimension not only of sight and sound,
but of the mind.

A journey into a wondrous land of films
whose boundaries are that of imagination.
Your next stop: The Review Zone.

~*~

ahwell - 12/12, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Seconds (DQ)
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (DQ)

Citizen Rules - 12/12, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Liquid Sky (DQ)
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Seconds (DQ)
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid

CosmicRunaway - 13/13, list finalized
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Liquid Sky (DQ)
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Seconds (DQ)
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome(DQ)

edarsenal - 12/12, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Seconds (DQ),
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (DQ)

John-Connor - 12/12, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Déjà Vu
Coherence
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Seconds (DQ)
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (DQ)

Okay - 10/10, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid

pahak - DQ
Gattaca
Liquid Sky (DQ)
Minority Report
Seconds (DQ)
Timecrimes

rauldc14 - 13/13, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Liquid Sky (DQ)
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Seconds (DQ)
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (DQ)

ScarletLion - 12/12, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Seconds (DQ)
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (DQ)

Siddon - 11/11, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (DQ)

TheUsualSuspect - 11/11, list received
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (DQ)

Attachments

Name:	scifi-reviews.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	53602  

Science fiction films cover the gamut from campy to high concept,
and from subtlety to the spectacular. Out of all the possibilities,
here are the films we chose to nominate:

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Directed By: Fred M. Wilcox
Nominated By: Siddon
Runtime: 98 min

~*~

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)
Directed By: Byron Haskin
Nominated By: Citizen Rules
Runtime: 110 min

~*~

Seconds (1966)
Directed By: John Frankenheimer
Nominated By: Nathaniel
Runtime: 107 min

DISQUALIFIED

~*~

Liquid Sky (1982)
Directed By: Slava Tsukerman
Nominated By: pahaK
Runtime: 112 min

DISQUALIFIED

~*~

Videodrome (1983)
Directed By: David Cronenberg
Nominated By: Yam12
Runtime: 89 min

DISQUALIFIED

~*~

Aliens (1986)
Directed By: James Cameron
Nominated By: John-Connor
Runtime: 137 min

~*~

Gattaca (1997)
Directed By: Andrew Niccol
Nominated By: edarsenal
Runtime: 106 min

~*~

Minority Report (2002)
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Nominated By: ahwell
Runtime: 145 min

~*~

Déjà Vu (2006)
Directed By: Tony Scott
Nominated By: rauldc14
Runtime: 126 min

~*~

Timecrimes / Los Cronocrímenes (2007)
Directed By: Nacho Vigalondo
Nominated By: ScarletLion
Runtime: 92 min

~*~

Attack the Block (2011)
Directed By: Joe Cornish
Nominated By: TheUsualSuspect
Runtime: 88 min

~*~

Coherence (2013)
Directed By: James Ward Byrkit
Nominated By: Okay
Runtime: 88 min

~*~

Turbo Kid (2015)
Directed By: François Simard, Anouk Whissell, Yoann-Karl Whissell
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway
Runtime: 95 min

~*~

To view the original reveal, please see this post.
If you'd like to follow the final results, you can start reading here.

Attachments

Name:	scifi-nominations.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	53603  

Best wishes for this, love sci-fi but I'll watch from the sidelines as per usual - look forward to the reveal of what's been put forward.

I might be in for this. Just need to see how my work and holiday schedule pans out.
If you can find the time, it would be great to have you.

Best wishes for this, love sci-fi but I'll watch from the sidelines as per usual - look forward to the reveal of what's been put forward.
No worries! As always, if you do want to talk about any of the films, you're welcome to jump in with comments at any time.

So far none of the films are from the same decade, so we might end up with a rather diverse set of nominations.

I'm in, of course!.....Love the graphics you did and what you wrote, ha! I'm really looking forward to this HoF and I'll make sure and bring a space suit along

Soooo many cool sci-fl flicks to choose from. That's what I love about sci fi movies, such a huge diversity in styles and themes. I've been watching sci fis in the last week in prep for this HoF, so far nothing really jumped out at me, but I have a movie coming from NetFlix DVD on Tuesday that might just be my nom. It would be kind of ironic if somebody nominates what I just watched

Love the graphics you did and what you wrote, ha!
Thanks! I like to jump on any excuse to be creative for a little while.

Soooo many cool sci-fl flicks to choose from. That's what I love about sci fi movies, such a huge diversity in styles and themes.
Same here. I love all of it as well: campy old sci-fi with cheap props, films that are more cerebral or focused on human nature, the ones that are basically just explosions in space, as well as the more subtle films where the sci-fi elements are used more as window dressing. It makes it hard to even decide which type of sci-fi to nominate, let alone narrowing that down to a single film haha.

I've been watching sci fis in the last week in prep for this HoF, so far nothing really jumped out at me, but I have a movie coming from NetFlix DVD on Tuesday that might just be my nom.
I've been doing the same thing, and will continue to do so until the deadline. Luckily I have a couple of "back up" films ready in case I can't find something new I want to nominate.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm in, sending my nom now

and as Citizen said, LOVE the opening sequence!!!

and as Citizen said, LOVE the opening sequence!!!
Okay, I'm glad people like the flair, because I was going to put something at the start as well, but figured that at best no one would care, and at worst it would be off-putting haha.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Okay, I'm glad people like the flair, because I was going to put something at the start as well, but figured that at best no one would care, and at worst it would be off-putting haha.
It all looks great -- clever, witty; BRAVO

movies can be okay...
I'm very tempted to get involved, but I don't know how committed I'm gonna be to this, or if it will get in the way of other things I'm planning on. I'm probably still gonna join, but I'll think about it for a day just in case.

I have three movies in mind, two of them I really want to re-watch, and the other is one I really want more people to check out.

Also, the layout and format are stunning. And just to let you know Cosmic, they do play a role in getting more people (or maybe just me) interested, so great job!
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

If you guys haven't done a hall of fame all year I don't see why you wouldn't do this one. This hall really should have 15-20 participants and run throughout the summer.

I doubt any of the nominees are going to be bad films.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Tempted. My last (and first HoF) was stressful with deadlines at work, but things seem mellow until July. Lemme ponder.

Also, the layout and format are stunning. And just to let you know Cosmic, they do play a role in getting more people (or maybe just me) interested, so great job!
Thank you! I feel like this layout worked well for the Foreign Language HoF, so I'll probably keep doing similar things if I host any other HoF in the future.

If you guys haven't done a hall of fame all year I don't see why you wouldn't do this one. This hall really should have 15-20 participants and run throughout the summer.
I just wanted to add that if the HoF does happen to get that big, I wouldn't be adverse to extending the amount of time we get per film if it seems like it'll be an issue.

Tempted. My last (and first HoF) was stressful with deadlines at work, but things seem mellow until July. Lemme ponder.
No worries. If you do decide to join and your availability changes, just let me know and we can figure something out. That goes for anyone else who is considering joining as well, but aren't sure about their schedules.