Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Event (2015)

It was nice seeing archive footage. A little confusion because of the terminology. Everyone uses the term "freedom", and I wish there were more specifics.

Waad Al-Kateab, Edward Watts, 2019

Shocking documentary about the beginnings of the Syrian war. Giving faces to the deaths, attributing-pointing to the villains, part of the reason I believe this movie will be well received in our part of the world, the villains suits our agenda. A handful of visceral footage's, the pregnant lady was the one that got my attention, strangely for many, but I fond it a beautiful scene in a way, almost poetic for the point of the documentary. I did not wonder how could humans beings do this to other human beings, that I don't wonder anymore, I accept it and count on it, I was just wondering if those were different kind of human beings, they have an incredible resistance to enormous losses, it reminded me of Marlon Brando's monologue in Apocalipse Now. It's shocking, it's cruel, it's also beautiful, human beings are really incredible creatures, there is nothing we can't adapt to, overcome.

Account terminated on request

Fury (2014) - 9.5/10

Phenomenal, and you see and feel the anguish of a young recruit, placed out of his element and growing his way into a field of terror. A "reluctant student"/"angry mentor" theme that has been done before, but not often quite this smoothly.

WARNING: "Fury" spoilers below
There is a scene where Norman is trying to get to the body of a young German girl that became a love-interest and one of the tank crew forces him away from it unnecessarily. I felt his frustration so solidly I actually became furious.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Forbidden Dreams (Karel Kachyna, 1987)
6/10
She Hate Me (Spike Lee,2004)
5/10
Just Before Dawn (Jeff Lieberman, 1981)
5.5/10
Punch-Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002)
6.5/10

"I run a legitimate business."
Dead Water (Chris Helton, 2019)
- 5/10
Keeping Up with the Steins (Scott Marshall, 2006)
6/10
Last Seen in Idaho (Eric Colley, 2018)
- 5/10
21 Bridges (Brian Kirk, 2019)
6/10

A drug heist gone bad leads to seven cops dead and one saintly detective (Chadwick Boseman) on the case.
Cane River (Horace B. Jenkins, 1982)
5.5/10
Honest Man: The Life of R. Budd Dwye (James Dirschberger, 2010)
6.5/10
Solace (Tchaiko Omawale, 2018)
5/10
Remember Me (Allen Coulter, 2010)
6/10

The romance of Robert Pattinson and Emilie de Ravin comes with lots of baggage.
The Dali and the Cooper (Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard, 2018)
+ 6/10
Mighty Jack (Kazuho Mitsuta, 1967)
+ 3.5/10
Rich Kids (Laura Somers, 2018)
6.5/10
American Dharma (Errol Morris, 2018)
+ 6/10

American Carnage
Point and Shoot (Marshall Curry 2014)
6/10
The Last Thing He Wanted (Dee Rees, 2020)
5/10
Coincoin and the Extra-Humans (Bruno Dumont, 2018)
6/10
Time of the Apes (Kiyo Sumi Fukazawa & Atsuo Okunaka, 1987)
3/10

Emotional highlight of whatever the hell this is.

Magnificent Ambersons (1942) 6/10 While this movie is highly rated by many people, I have a difficult time rating a movie highly when the protagonist of the movie, George, is a despicable character. The acting is fine, cinematography excellent, story great. The tragedy is that the main character is poison to all others of this world; instead of harnessing his privileged upbringing to make a better man of himself, he rides his arrogance all the way to ruin. I gave this character 87 more minutes of my life than I would grant a real live person of the same fabric.

Foreign Correspondent (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)

This definitely had its moments but the plot was a bit dull and just didn't hook me in as much as Hitchcock's best.
Good but not outstanding.

Trey Edward Shults, 2017

In the woods, a family of five, a certain virus is going on, transmitted by touch or air, if someone gets sick the others have to take there life to secure everyone else's survival, doesn't matter who he is. Outside is not safe. Whats outside? You don't know, it doesn't have a particular face, humans will kill you intentionally or not, you just know it's not safe. You close the house entirely, one door in and out. Someone asks for help, now what? The dilema kicks in. Solidarity, morals, trust in a messy situation needing to not only survive but to take care of your loved ones. What about the loved ones of others?

Who Saw Her Die? (1972)

Atmospheric "whodunnit" with the usual ropey production values of Italian Giallo. It is interesting though and George Lazenby does a good job as the Father on a search for some truth and inner peace. Effective in plotting and I enjoyed it.

Surprisingly, kind of funny early on (incident 1 and 2) even though there is an uneasiness going on the entire time and gets more of an ick feeling as it progresses. Actually enjoyed the Matt and Bruno chatter and the ending was really well done.

Takeshi Kitano's Outrage - Not one of his best but still an enjoyably violent film about a struggle for power within factions of the Yakuza.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1972)

Heard a lot about this pic and never got round to watching it. Gritty and does what it says on the label. I liked the feel of the direction and the rough-hewn performances. Will look further into Cassavettes catalogue but this was an excellent starting point.

My Cousin Rachel (2017)

Film based on a Daphne du Maurier novel. Thought I'd get interested in the atmosphere and plotting but the main actor is simply too wooden to think he has a passionate bone in his body. Watchable but I wanted more atmosphere and a better choice of leading man.

Takeshi Kitano's Outrage - Not one of his best but still an enjoyably violent film about a struggle for power within factions of the Yakuza.
Was hit and miss for me as I struggled (at points) to follow the motivations of the main players.

Call Of The Wild

Ofcourse On youtube so many people post there opinions on films before they see them and it gets quite tiresome how they seem to rate movies before watch them.

People that review films seem to go not for the fun of going to see a movie but to find reasons to support there negative opinions they had beforehand.

Sorry about my slight rant on state of how some reviewers do movies these days.
I Went into the film knowing the lead animal would be cgi. And people forget animal protections makes it hard to do a movie around animals where looks like they get hurt.

CGI dog or animals means no animals were hurt. Which i think is a good idea. By the end of the movie i didnt care the Dog was CGI. The movie

The actors did well in the movie and you felt the journey for the dog and his adventures in Alaska. Im pretty sure most of the sled dogs were real dogs btw. Allot of people were crying at the movies end so hope that helps anyone who wondered if CGI animals could move people.
But people cry in animated features all the time. So not sure why people cant if effects worked in the movie.
The story is little different from how i remember it but I always get Call of the Wild and White Fang mixed up in my mind . Read Both Books. Might need read the book again.
Anyways I give this movie overall 8/10.