Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Wild Nights with Emily (Madeleine Olnek, 2019)
+ 6/10
Black Christmas (Sophia Takal, 2019)
5/10
Peppermint (Pierre Morel, 2018)
5.5/10
Farmageddon (Will Becher & Richard Phelan, 2019)
6.5/10

Typical Aardman farm comedy with added UFO mix-ups.
The Happytime Murders (Brian Henson, 2018)
5/10
Buoyancy (Rodd Rathjen, 2019)
6/10
Treasure Buddies (Robert Vince, 2012)
- 5/10
Brother John (James Goldstone,1971)
+ 6/10

Beverly Todd loves Brother John (Sidney Poitier) who knows more about mankind than anyone on Earth.
The Noose (Wojciech J. Has, 1958)
6/10
Biker Boyz (Reggie Rock Bythewood, 2003)
5/10
Shakira in Concert: El Dorado World Tour (James B. Merryman, 2019)
6/10
Cell (Tod Williams, 2016)
5/10

Cell phones turn people at an airport into zombies.
Eric Clapton: A Life in 12 Bars (Lili Fini Zanuck, 2017)
6.5/10
Harpoon (Rob Grant, 2019)
6/10
Life on the Line (David Hackl, 2015)
5/10
Midway (Roland Emmerich, 2019)
6/10

The Japanese destroy Pearl Harbor.
A Boy Called Sailboat (Cameron Nugent, 2018)
5.5/10
7 Guardians of the Tomb (Kimble Rendall, 2015)
+ 4.5/10
Donnybrook (Tim Sutton, 2018)
5/10
The Children of the Dead AKA Die Kinder der Toten (Kelly Copper & Pavol Liska, 2019)
5.5/10

Andrea Maier dies in a car accident but returns from the dead in this silent horror pastiche shot in Super 8.

El Dorado 1967 Directed by Howard Hawks

Classic lighthearted traditional Western in great looking Technicolor.
With two heavyweight actors, the talented rookie James Caan with a silly looking hat and the beautiful Michele Carey and Charlene Holten.
+

A Holocaust survivor meets up with her former Nazi tormentor in Vienna and they rekindle their sadomasochistic relationship. Decent film but not an easy watch. Great acting.

Account terminated on request
Overview of my rating system. I've used a 1-10 scale since I was 17 - 47 years ago. I've adapted it to the MoFo system.

9.5/10 or 10/10 A+
8.5/10 or 9/10 A
8/10 A-
+ 7.5/10 B+
7/10 B
6.5/10 B-
5.5/10 C or 6/10 C+
5/10 C-
+ 4.5/10 D+
4/10 D
+ 3.5/10 D-
3/10 F+
2/10 F
1/10 F-

Since I rate few movies at the extreme high or low ends of my scale, I'm not as concerned with differentiating all those ratings, but in the middle ground, I think it's more helpful - at least to those who get something out of my ratings. Since I had my stroke, it's difficult for me to type longer posts.
Gotcha, well explained.

I think when I've been reading through your review posts, I've been focusing on the /10 scoring, since it's a number that I personally understand best.

"Hope you feel better" is far too trite and illfitting for a stroke. So I think the best I can manage is "I wish you well". I've known people in stroke situations (no strokes are equal), and wow, +1 on the effort to post as you do.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Account terminated on request
Farmageddon (Will Becher & Richard Phelan, 2019)
6.5/10

Typical Aardman farm comedy with added UFO mix-ups.
A classic Aardman scene. The first time I saw that particular mishap (drill) was in the incredible A Grand Day Out.

Look at 39 seconds in for poor Gromit's drilling attempt:

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched Jojo Rabbit and Frozen II this morning (I work grave-yard shift, my life's a mess). I liked them both, but Jojo Rabbit definitely won out overall.

Frozen is what I call a perfect example of style over substance - which isn't necessarily a criticism. The narrative is thin, but the breathtaking animation and imagery brought it to a grandiose caliber. I liked it more than the first, personally.

Jojo Rabbit, on the other-hand, I enjoyed a fair amount. The film is funny and heartwarming, and I was impressed a lot by it.

Surprised I’ve never seen this 20 year old movie. It’s really good. Very well-acted.

Re-watch of a movie classic. Gosh, so many parts were hard to watch. Women persecuting women. Great.

Parasite (2019, Bong Joon Ho)

As I was watching Parasite, it spoke to me not only as a stark reminder of the world of extreme wealth and social inequality that we live in today, but also as a chilling warning of what happens once the veneer of normalcy has fallen off, and radical ideas and actions take over. Bong Joon Ho does a fine job portraying the upper class with its out-of-touch naivete and ill-disguised contempt for the poor contrasted against the sheer stench and desperation bubbling underneath the facade, juxtaposing the two worlds and setting them on a collision course - deadly, as we later find out. One of the main protagonists, the boy, keeps repeating the word "metaphorical", and that's exactly what this film is - a metaphorical microcosm of the highly stratified, polarized global system, the horrors and anguishes of which are often underreported and obfuscated by the media but they're there anyway, a ticking bomb that's bound to go off at some point.

From the cinematic standpoint, I have little to quibble about, even though I can't say it was a perfect film by any stretch. But it was quite a ride - riveting, grotesque, shocking at times, but also really funny and moving without getting overly melodramatic. Its biggest success to me was how it managed a balancing act between its many alternating moods, between being so profoundly serious and thought-provoking on one hand and so fun and accessible on the other. A film of contrasts in many ways.

Hustlers (2019)

My wife picked this out but I did have interest in the story. Several years ago when I lost a fortune gambling, I obviously needed a way to get out of it. I'll just say that I worked with many girls in the adult industry, so I know quite a bit about these types of characters and the various hustles that go on. I know it's a true story but this movie dropped the ball. The girls don't talk that way, they don't act that way, and it was just all wrong the way it was presented. There were a couple of good moments in the latter stages of the movie but that's it. I was very agitated for most of the runtime because of the wasted opportunity. As far as all of the praise that J Lo got, I didn't see it. She was ok at best. I know there are a lot of people that like it but it wasn't a serious movie.

6 Underground [100%]

Parasite (2019, Bong Joon Ho)

As I was watching Parasite, it spoke to me not only as a stark reminder of the world of extreme wealth and social inequality that we live in today, but also as a chilling warning of what happens once the veneer of normalcy has fallen off, and radical ideas and actions take over. Bong Joon Ho does a fine job portraying the upper class with its out-of-touch naivete and contempt for the poor contrasted against the sheer stench and desperation bubbling underneath the facade, juxtaposing the two worlds and setting them on a collision course - deadly, as we later find out. One of the main protagonists, the boy, keeps repeating the word "metaphorical", and that's exactly what this film is - a metaphorical microcosm of the highly stratified, polarized global system, the horrors and anguishes of which are often underreported and obfuscated by the media but they're there anyway, a ticking bomb that's bound to go off at some point.

From the cinematic standpoint, I have little to quibble about, even though I can't say it was a perfect film by any stretch. But it was quite a ride - riveting, grotesque, shocking at times, but also really funny and moving without getting overly melodramatic. Its biggest success to me was how it managed a balancing act between being so profoundly serious and thought-provoking and yet so fun and enjoyable at the same time. A film of contrasts, both cinematically and story-wise.
Parasite! the movie is classic. The funniest part is when the rich guy starts talking about his driver's smells crossing the line unaware the driver is listening.

Overview of my rating system. I've used a 1-10 scale since I was 17 - 47 years ago. I've adapted it to the MoFo system.

9.5/10 or 10/10 A+
8.5/10 or 9/10 A
8/10 A-
+ 7.5/10 B+
7/10 B
6.5/10 B-
5.5/10 C or 6/10 C+
5/10 C-
+ 4.5/10 D+
4/10 D
+ 3.5/10 D-
3/10 F+
2/10 F
1/10 F-

Since I rate few movies at the extreme high or low ends of my scale, I'm not as concerned with differentiating all those ratings, but in the middle ground, I think it's more helpful - at least to those who get something out of my ratings. Since I had my stroke, it's difficult for me to type longer posts.
Oh, that's a little confusing. I was wondering why you rate movies so low. I thought you just didn't like them very much and watched a lot of boring and mediocre movies. But okay, so a 2 star is an average okay movie, and 2.5 means you actually liked it.

I find I usually give out a lot of 4/5 's and 4.5/5's because I'm pretty good at finding awesome artistic films that I love. I rarely watch movies that I end up only finding okay or mediocre.

Hostiles 2017 Directed by Scott Cooper

Just saw Hostiles a fairly new 'hardcore' Western that I don't think a lot of mofos have seen. It has beautiful cinematography, great action sequences and also some flaws for me. But still definitely one to watch before sending in your Western ballot.
I didn't like it because of those flaws you mentioned, I also mentioned them when I reviewed the movie a year or so ago. I liked the point, it was badly developed. I've seen it twice. I want to like it because I like the director, Out of the Furnace is one of my favorite movies.

I didn't like it because of those flaws you mentioned, I also mentioned them when I reviewed the movie a year or so ago. I liked the point, it was badly developed. I've seen it twice. I want to like it because I like the director, Out of the Furnace is one of my favorite movies.
Found your review, I agree with most of what you said there. Haven't seen Out of the Furnace yet, I will check that out soon. After i'm done with my 'Westerns watch list'. Definitely looks like something I could like.