Classic Comedy Hall of Fame

Tools    

Citizen Rules: In the 18th you even posted the wrong movie,Valley of the Dolls, as my nom. At the time I assumed it was an honest mistake on your part. But now as you've tried to get me to change my nom again in this HOF....I'm starting to see a pattern and think you might have intentionally posted the wrong nom for me in the 18th.
I told you I wanted you to nominate Valley of the Dolls because I thought it would do better based on the nom's(that I saw and you didn't) and because I actually blind bought the film and was looking for an excuse to watch it. Also I didn't pull the film randomly out of thin air this was the last post you pm'd me:
OK, maybe I should have went with my first choice. I'm pretty sure if I nominated Valley of the Dolls it would come in near last.
I got to know something, did you post Valley of the Dolls as my nom in the 18th as a favor to me because you believed it would do better than the nom I had chose Abandon Ship?

I'm curious @cricket, if you HAD joined, what films would you have nominated?
I didn't even get to the point of thinking about it but The Bank Dick probably would have been one.

I got to know something, did you post Valley of the Dolls as my nom in the 18th as a favor to me because you believed it would do better than the nom I had chose Abandon Ship?

The "favor" was I thought to validate your first choice of Valley of the Dolls. Now your nom still needs two more reviews and everything is so tight that could have a big swing but I do believe Dolls would have done better.

The "favor" was I thought to validate your first choice of Valley of the Dolls. Now your nom still needs two more reviews and everything is so tight that could have a big swing but I do believe Dolls would have done better.
So on your own you decided to chose a film for me that I had previously mentioned that I'd considered and also mentioned I'd discarded it as my nom. Is that what you're saying you did?

So on your own you decided to chose a film for me that I had previously mentioned that I'd considered and also mentioned I'd discarded it as my nom. Is that what you're saying you did?

No your pm felt to me like a girl asking if she looked fat in her jeans, and that you were looking for reassurance. That's what I read about what you told me. We'll talk about it when all the ballots come in and you can see where I ranked your film.

I didn't even get to the point of thinking about it but The Bank Dick probably would have been one.
Good choice. Please reconsider joining us, Cricket. This is a very large category, and I suspect that we could use some more participants. Don't know when the OP is closing the group.

~Doc

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
WC Fields! Good Call!!

"I never drink water. Fish fornicate in it."

Sorry for my bad English :p
Monkey Business (1931)

this is the second marx brothers movie that i see with night at the opera (that i liked) , and i must say i was disappointed !
from the beginning the movie failed to grab my attention, i mean it has it moments, i laughed maybe once or twice but for most of the time i was just watching with a poker face not even smiling and waiting for the movie to end
i hope that i'll find duck soup better...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Marx Brothers; Monkey Business

Groucho: How about you and I passing out on the veranda; or would you rather pass out here?

Woman at Party: Sir, you have the advantage of me.

Groucho: Not yet I haven't, but wait till I get you outside.

The epitome of screwball, zany humor, The Marx Brothers' antics have been a treasure throughout my life, and, during my youth, an inspiration for Class Clowning and all out trouble-making/smart-mouthing. Not to mention trouble mouthing and making smart. But that's a different matter all together.

With almost no plot except the boys stowing away on a boat and causing utter havoc, with chase scene after chase scene (along with several skirt chasing's -- literally), plenty of wise-cracking, double-entendres, a heaping dose of belligerent behavior, with a little piano playing and harp tossed in for good measure.
Making the short and long of it.

While I was tempted to go with my ultimate favorite, A Night at the Opera, I was torn between this and Room Service.
Room Service won and got out when the getting was good.

I'm also tempted to write a detailed, serious review, but how could I dare such an atrocity regarding a comedic troupe that treats irreverence with such reverence?

But enough temptation. How 'bout some satisfaction?
I can't, her husband hasn't left town yet.

Modern Times
This is probably my favorite Chaplin film, and probably my favorite silent film too. It's so funny, but a little bit depressing, so wild, but sweet and innocent too. Chaplin is at his best with acting and stunts in this movie too, with scenes like the roller skating, dancing in the restaurant, and we get to see him get high and drunk too! (of course to no choice of his own). And inside this fun bundle of adventures, we get the truth that life is hard, and it's best to just get on with it.

No your pm felt to me like a girl asking if she looked fat in her jeans, and that you were looking for reassurance. That's what I read about what you told me. We'll talk about it when all the ballots come in and you can see where I ranked your film.
Now you're being an ass! By being insulting. I'm not surprised at your behavior as you made fun of Cosmic's spelling earlier too, which is not cool.

I sent you a PM at the very start of the 18th HoF that said clearly said:
My nom for the 18th is:

Abandoned Ship (1957)
also known as Seven Waves Away and as Seven Days From Now

(and we had some nice PM convos back and forth, and I mentioned I had also considered Valley of the Dolls in a later PM, making small talk. But I NEVER said I wanted you to change it! I never hinted at it, that's not me and anybody who knows me at MoFo knows I don't operate that way.

I can now see by your piss poor behavior that you deliberately changed my nom to Valley of the Dolls because YOU wanted to watch it...as you had blind bought the DVD and never had the chance to watch it (you posted that)...That my friend is utter Bull Sh**. You changed my nom deliberately without my permission to suit your needs!

I'll also need a link for True Confession, if anyone has one.

Now you're being an ass! By being insulting. I'm not surprised at your behavior as you made fun of Cosmic's spelling earlier too, which is not cool.

You have now accused me of lying, being an ass, insulting other people, taking away your choices, and being uncool.

I sent you a PM at the very start of the 18th HoF that said clearly said:
My nom for the 18th is:

Abandoned Ship (1957)
also known as Seven Waves Away and as Seven Days From Now

(and we had some nice PM convos back and forth, and I mentioned I had also considered Valley of the Dolls in a later PM, making small talk. But I NEVER said I wanted you to change it! I never hinted at it, that's not me and anybody who knows me at MoFo knows I don't operate that way.

OK, maybe I should have went with my first choice. I'm pretty sure if I nominated Valley of the Dolls it would come in near last.
I can now see by your piss poor behavior that you deliberately changed my nom to Valley of the Dolls because YOU wanted to watch it...as you had blind bought the DVD and never had the chance to watch it (you posted that)...That my friend is utter Bull Sh**. You changed my nom deliberately without my permission to suit your needs!

I don't know how you speak to other posters but the way you've chosen to speak to me is unfortunate. I had a number of things to do today and being what can best be described as lectured by you was not one of them. We ended up watching Abandon Ship! not Valley of the Dolls this happened immediately upon your request. You've now held this grudge for what two months. You claim you don't want to argue and yet here you are continuing to argue when I would like to go on with my life. You've decided to pick apart every little thing I've said question every emotion and motivation meanwhile I've been keeping my temper in check. You might not have liked my metaphor but you sure are acting like someone told you you looked fat in those jeans. It feels to me like I am speaking to someone who is throwing a temper tantrum.

I'm an empathetic and flexible person, I try not to take things to heart. See I'm worried that because of your selections your films are going to finish 11th and 12th. This is a problem for a couple reasons you might end up holding a grudge over that. Because you picked two similar films other peoples selections might end up bunched together and that could be a problem. While I've seen support from some posters towards you those posters didn't decide to participate in this Hall of Fame. Had they done so we wouldn't of had to make double nominations.

I'd also question why you felt this was the appropriate time and place to get into this argument. It seems to me that if a comedy hall of fame didn't work the first time that you would be reticent to hijack the new one with your issues.

If any good can come from this I hope the next person you decide to push into moderating these halls of fame you will take pause and not treat them the way you've decided to treat me today. That you would be capable of not thinking that they know you and your own personal eccentricities.

You have now accused me of lying, being an ass, insulting other people, taking away your choices, and being uncool.
You insulted me with your fat girl in jeans comment, which you've just repeated btw...and that's why I then said you're acting like an ass. You're the one who's getting upset and lashing out, not me.

I'd also question why you felt this was the appropriate time and place to get into this argument. It seems to me that if a comedy hall of fame didn't work the first time that you would be reticent to hijack the new one with your issues.
Why? because in the 18th Hof I decided not to say much, and I let it slide. But then 5 days ago you did it again in this HoF and that raised concerns....I was in Arizona at the time, so I couldn't properly respond as I didn't have ready internet access then.

From 5 days ago on this thread:
I seriously considered Sullivan's Travels, Joel McCrea is real good it and so is Veronica Lake
Well it's not too late to switch I'm both having difficulty finding True Confession and I'm a little worried about both of your films finishing 11th and 12th. Not that you picked bad films but I think the bar is exceptionally high.
No, I don't want to switch.

If they come in last, then that's fine. I know they are both excellent comedies and great examples of screwball comedy.

I can find you links to both of my noms. I'm in Arizona right now and don't have access to my computer, but when I get home in a few days I'll PM you a link.

Siddon: See I'm worried that because of your selections your films are going to finish 11th and 12th.
That is not your concern, it makes me uncomfortable that you as a host have tried to get me to change my noms, stop it and there won't be anymore problems.

Trouble in Paradise (Ernst Lubitsch, 1932)

I wanted to find an animated gif of that naughty pre-code neon sign, but alias I couldn't find it...Oh well, I did find that photo. I loved that scene and that's what I mainly liked about Trouble in Paradise the occasional risque phrase or scene that Lubitsch spices his film with. There were a couple of good ones too! I swear I should take notes so I could remember them the next day. One that struck me as particularly stand out was when Kay Francis did a exercise move while laying prostrate on the floor, bringing her legs up and over her head in a most visually provocative manner...which then prompted Herbert Marshall to make a innuendo comment that was pretty funny. I wish I could remember what he said, but it was a fun moment. A very strong cast with quick quips and wit. The story itself didn't really engage me as much as I might have liked it too and I was never really into the movie but I did enjoy the art deco sets, the cast, and the pre code naughtiness.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trouble in Paradise signs 07.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	53263