Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Good Time -
, maybe

More like Okay Time, am I right folks?

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
The Spielberg doc was just not interesting. Short of the parts about Schindler's List, it seemed uninspired.
Yeah, it's entry-level to a fault and I'd definitely rather that the time that went to E.T. went to [i]A.I.[i] instead, but I wasn't exactly bored by it either. It probably helps that I'm not enough of a Spielberg obsessive to have heard or memorised every single talking point about either his personal or professional lives. Really want to see De Palma now, though.

Audition

My god everything before the horror starts is either awkward or pointless. Think the poster gives too much away. I mean it's obvious right from the start that she is some kind of psycho and that she is manipulating him, her shyness and sweet manner is an act. Think that could have been effective when we see her turn and it was kind of but during everything prior to that i was asking myself what i was even doing watching this. There was absolutely nothing there that was making me get into her as a character (or Shigeharu for that matter) or had me bracing myself for what was to come, it just felt like an extra hour that i really didn't have to watch. Could have condensed all of that into 15 minutes and it wouldn't have changed anything for me. I kind of despised Eihi Shiina's performance during this part; her voice, how timid she was and just the fact that she was utterly pleasant was way too heavy. I understand why she was like that but she and Miike put it on way too strong, i get that he was going for a shocking tonal shift and complete character transformation but when you are well aware that's what is coming it just feels cheap and annoying when done to this extent. Thankfully it improved once we actually got to the horror, however the payoff wasn't enough for me to say i overall liked this. The creepy "she's not good for you" dream was definitely the turning point. The torture parts were messed up and pretty great, so was the it was all a nightmare fake out even though i expected it, she was actually good in those scenes; not enough for me though. Even though it turned out i was wrong about it being an act and that she was just insane i always knew that was a strong possibility so that wasn't enough either.

Feel a bit harsh about the rating because the horror was really good but i genuinely despised the rest and think it all added very little. I checked and she doesn't start turning weird until pretty much exactly an hour in which means i despise the majority of the film. Actually more than an hour, that's when it got a little intriguing wasn't until what's his name on the wheelchair gets introduced that i actually started somewhat enjoying it and that was with 40 minutes left. Some good stuff but uneven as hell, basically two different films one of which is godawful.

+

Audition

My god everything before the horror starts is either awkward or pointless. Think the poster gives too much away. I mean it's obvious right from the start that she is some kind of psycho and that she is manipulating him, her shyness and sweet manner is an act. Think that could have been effective when we see her turn and it was kind of but during everything prior to that i was asking myself what i was even doing watching this. There was absolutely nothing there that was making me get into her as a character (or Shigeharu for that matter) or had me bracing myself for what was to come, it just felt like an extra hour that i really didn't have to watch. Could have condensed all of that into 15 minutes and it wouldn't have changed anything for me. I kind of despised Eihi Shiina's performance during this part; her voice, how timid she was and just the fact that she was utterly pleasant was way too heavy. I understand why she was like that but she and Miike put it on way too strong, i get that he was going for a shocking tonal shift and complete character transformation but when you are well aware that's what is coming it just feels cheap and annoying when done to this extent. Thankfully it improved once we actually got to the horror, however the payoff wasn't enough for me to say i overall liked this. The creepy "she's not good for you" dream was definitely the turning point. The torture parts were messed up and pretty great, so was the it was all a nightmare fake out even though i expected it, she was actually good in those scenes; not enough for me though. Even though it turned out i was wrong about it being an act and that she was just insane i always knew that was a strong possibility so that wasn't enough either.

Feel a bit harsh about the rating because the horror was really good but i genuinely despised the rest and think it all added very little. I checked and she doesn't start turning weird until pretty much exactly an hour in which means i despise the majority of the film. Actually more than an hour, that's when it got a little intriguing wasn't until what's his name on the wheelchair gets introduced that i actually started somewhat enjoying it and that was with 40 minutes left. Some good stuff but uneven as hell, basically two different films one of which is godawful.

+
interesting, this movie played at a local theater but I didn't go

interesting, this movie played at a local theater but I didn't go
Just don't read anything about it or look at its poster or anything, once you've got an idea it doesn't work that well. Plus the first hour is so bad it's unbelievable, it's like a weird romance part.

Everly (Joe Lynch, 2014)

'Neverly' or 'Awfully' would have been more appropriate imo

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Shaolin vs. Evil Dead (2004) - promising idea with terrible execution. Sad because the film has two great martial artists in the lead roles of rival Taoist masters, Gordon Liu representing the good and Louis Fan representing the bad. The supporting cast (Jacky Woo, Shannon Yao, and Shi Xiao-Hu) all are in very bad slapstick-style subplots. And I'm not even going to talk about how the film ends because it's just....totally speechless. Only good points was a couple of fights between Liu and Fan and a nicely style sequence entitled "phantom chess" which stood out.

Final Rating: D+

I'm diving into cheap, exploitative, Italian made crime/Mafia films of the 60s/70s (the subgenre is called Poliziotteschi); and since one of the titans of the genre, Umberto Lenzi, died last week I'm going to run through his filmography. Gang War in Milan (1973) did not disappoint (you can watch it without a prime account for free on Amazon if any of you are interested), and was basically about as sleazy, Euro-trashy, homophobic, and sexist as you can get. There must be only one gun firing sound effect in Italian cinema, because alot of the gun shots are the same used in For a Fistful of Dollars (1964) and For a Few Dollars More (1965). But I'm really impressed with the pacing of the movie, this film never slows down and you are either seeing acid being thrown in the face of prostitutes,unnecessary nudity, gunfights, etc.

RATING:

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Just don't read anything about it or look at its poster or anything, once you've got an idea it doesn't work that well. Plus the first hour is so bad it's unbelievable, it's like a weird romance part.
Miike is the king of
. I've only seen 2 of his films and rated them both
, but feel his entire filmography deserves this rating. Haha. Hopefully this changes in the future.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Miike is the king of
. I've only seen 2 of his films and rated them both
, but feel his entire filmography deserves this rating. Haha. Hopefully this changes in the future.
I've seen two as well. Liked Ichi The Killer quite a bit, that was years ago though don't remember it that well.

Wonder if people that love Audition rewatch that first hour. Obviously they must like it more than me but surely the whole point like cat said to me earlier is to lull you into a false sense of security, can't see how that'd work a second time when they know what's coming.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The first part was enjoyable. I liked the awkwardness. Also noticed that Japanese bow even when they talk on the phone. It's a pretty nice film overall, but it lacks something that would make it stand out. The final sequence is something everybody's waiting for (like seriously, even the poster spoils it, as you've said before).and it delivers exactly what you expect. It's an okay film, but I have a hard time finding anything that would make it a great one.

I have quite the same problem with Ichi. The premise of somebody as f*cked up and scary as the blonde guy finding somebody even more f*cked up and scary is great, but the film lacks something. Soul, maybe?

You both better watch crows zero I and II. It's fun!!

But yeah miike always like that kind of hit and miss director. Not help when he is too+prolific.

█ █ █ █ █

Though being a fan of the series (and of Lynch's work, in general), i didn't enjoy it. Fire Walk was released as a prequel, and gives more questions than answers. It starts with the death of Teresa, a Laura Palmer's friend, but no investigation covering it is developed throughout the movie (something i was expecting to see), and it feels too messy, a nice setting with interesting characters lacking a plot to effectively tie them together.

I watched two last night - one an oldie I hadn't seen, and one a recent addition to Netflix. I'm rating both a 7, but only one I enjoyed.

A film carried by James Woods' excellent portrayal of a violent psychopath. John Savage also put forth a quality showing as a cop who suffers from PTSD after his partner (Ted Danson) is murdered by Woods. However, even though it was a quality movie, I must say I have no desire to ever watch it again. It just didn't resonate with me enough to warrant any future rewatches, and I can't say I really enjoyed it, but I appreciate it as a good movie. 7/10

Enjoyed this one! Thomas Jane at his best. Very well made psychological thriller based on King's Novel (which I haven't read). 7/10

Finally saw this, but I made a bad choice seeing this in 4DX, so all the water scene I got water in my face. LOL

Very very solid sequel, this is at least on par with the original if not better.
What is the name of this film? Thanks.