The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That screams Silence of the Lambs

Yep. As for the other one, it's not so obvious but "fair" tells me that it's in reference to a woman. The first guess would be My Fair Lady, but considering we're talking about forked tongues and whatnot, I'm going to go with All About Eve.

Tomorrow's hint:

Beware, beware
One's fierce, one's fair

One's tongue is forked
The other rare

One gives advice
But takes his price

Beware beware
The masks they wear
Is the missing comma in the penultimate line perhaps significant?
Could it perhaps indicate a title that is likewise grammatically challenged??
Might I be overthinking this???
Why should anyone care????
Is it "time for bed", as Zebedee would say?????
I think it is.....

Tomorrow's hint:

Beware, beware
One's fierce, one's fair

One's tongue is forked
The other rare

One gives advice
But takes his price

Beware beware
The masks they wear
Silence of the Lambs and All About Eve or Dark Knight

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The trick is not minding
It's a low key classic, maybe my favorite Huston, and Susan Tyrell is the shizz.
Yeah, I’m a fan of Huston, so it definitely caught my eye years ago. Finally found it available

Tomorrow's hint:

Beware, beware
One's fierce, one's fair

One's tongue is forked
The other rare

One gives advice
But takes his price

Beware beware
The masks they wear
Silence of the Lambs and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I thought I'd voted for Exorcist... turns out it was another I cut from the final list

Probably one of the scariest horror movies ever made, and seems to get scarier the older I get.
Truly one of a kind.

Tomorrow's hint:

Beware, beware
One's fierce, one's fair

One's tongue is forked
The other rare

One gives advice
But takes his price

Beware beware
The masks they wear

Reminds me of the convo between Gandalf and Wormtongue in LOTR: The Two Towers...

3 Things that seem to be certain:

1 Death
2 Taxes
2.1 Lotr making a film countdown list

Don't have much to say about Fight Club or No Country For Old Men. Have them both at

Amadeus is one of my favorites
, I watch it at least once a year and it made my list at number 14. It has a little bit of everything I love about movies. It's funny, sad, has great performances across the board, looks stunning and of course the music is pretty good. F. Murray Abraham gives one of my favorite performances ever. The scenes of him as old Salieri are amazing. He is somehow able to convey so much emotion through a pile of makeup using only his eyes or little tilts of his head. It's pretty impressive. If you have the extra time I'd recommend the Directors Cut as it has one pretty important scene that should have been in the theatrical release but for some reason (my guess - boobs) was left on the cutting room floor.

Raging Bull Not my favorite from Scorsese but it's good
. Loved the boxing scenes and the decision to film it in black and white was a pretty good (great) idea. I haven't seen it awhile even though I own it. Not one I get the urge to revisit often.

The Third Man Really enjoyed it, I think. Only watched it once, maybe two years ago, and my goldfish memory can't recall much which is why I log a movie right after I see it

The Exorcist I never considered this a horror movie. I don't know why but it just doesn't feel like a horror film to me. Maybe it's because it's so good and I usually associate horror with crap. I feel the same way about Silence of the Lambs. So far this is the highest rated movie of mine to hit the list (was my no. 5). Others have already done a better job than I ever could in explaining why this movie is so awesome so lets just say that they're right. I do prefer the theatrical version which is what my ranking is based on.

My list:
5. The Exorcist (#47)
14. Amadeus (#50)
18. Gone With the Wind (#55)
19. Metropolis (#73)
22. Sunset Boulevard (#53)

I could see this. That's exactly why no "Revenge of the Nerds" will show up.
...or Police Academy's. Too hard to choose.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm starting to wonder if an LOTR film made it, or if all 3 just split votes and now none will appear
I know the answer to this....

Let me say this though. I always thought Fellowship of the Ring was the fan favourite, but recent discussions at work surprised me when each film had someone deeming it their favourite. I was genuinely surprised that Two Towers had A LOT of love from people where I work and it made me reassess where people see each film in this trilogy. If one of the films I consider weaker makes the list, does that automatically mean my personal favourite will? I used to think so, not so much anymore. Especially with this Top 100. I was shocked and surprised to see certain films not make it. More on that...AFTER THE COUNTDOWN.

But also, the same could be said about a few "trilogies". I recently watched Before Sunrise and have yet to see the two sequels, but know that the trilogy as a whole is well loved by many people. Do all three of those movies make this list, is there a collectively loved "one" out of this trilogy? Or does a trilogy like that get the split vote and none make it?

I don't know.

Well, technically I do, but let's just say I don't.

Suspect's Reviews

I know the answer to this....

Let me say this though. I always thought Fellowship of the Ring was the fan favourite, but recent discussions at work surprised me when each film had someone deeming it their favourite. I was genuinely surprised that Two Towers had A LOT of love from people where I work and it made me reassess where people see each film in this trilogy. If one of the films I consider weaker makes the list, does that automatically mean my personal favourite will? I used to think so, not so much anymore. Especially with this Top 100. I was shocked and surprised to see certain films not make it. More on that...AFTER THE COUNTDOWN.

But also, the same could be said about a few "trilogies". I recently watched Before Sunrise and have yet to see the two sequels, but know that the trilogy as a whole is well loved by many people. Do all three of those movies make this list, is there a collectively loved "one" out of this trilogy? Or does a trilogy like that get the split vote and none make it?

I don't know.

Well, technically I do, but let's just say I don't.
In simple terms, TUS is saying, is that either 1 of them made it, 2 of them made it, or all 3 of them made it.
Or none of them made it.

I can say my unwillingness to consider the Kill Bill movies as separate entities kept me from chosing either (when as a team they would have been a shoe in for my Top 25).

So I think not being able to vote for the entire series probably seriously dampens the impact of the individual films appearing. And I think the Rings trilogy would be especially vulnerable to this since it is hard to separate them

I can say my unwillingness to consider the Kill Bill movies as separate entities kept me from chosing either (when as a team they would have been a shoe in for my Top 25).

So I think not being able to vote for the entire series probably seriously dampens the impact of the individual films appearing. And I think the Rings trilogy would be especially vulnerable to this since it is hard to separate them
Not sure if I've ever really understood this feeling tbh.
I mean, how far do you take it?

If LOTR trilogy is one entity, surely then The Hobbit must be included. It's not 6 movies, it's only 1.
But where do you stop with it?
Are Lethal Weapon 1-4 just one movie? I mean, they continue the story from one to the next, especially parts 1 and 2, and then parts 3 and 4 also have an overreaching arc.

Is the MCU just one long 3000 minute movie? A number of them were filmed at the same time, plus, they were pretty much all in mutual development of some sort at some point.

I know the old argument is that Kill Bill 1-2 and LOTR 1-3 were filmed at the same time and that one part can't exist without the other... but movies within a series are individually released movies, sometimes with a year or more between them.

Not having a go, just throwing my thoughts up on the old argument

Not sure if I've ever really understood this feeling tbh.
I mean, how far do you take it?

If LOTR trilogy is one entity, surely then The Hobbit must be included. It's not 6 movies, it's only 1.
But where do you stop with it?
Are Lethal Weapon 1-4 just one movie? I mean, they continue the story from one to the next, especially parts 1 and 2, and then parts 3 and 4 also have an overreaching arc.

Is the MCU just one long 3000 minute movie? A number of them were filmed at the same time, plus, they were pretty much all in mutual development of some sort at some point.

I know the old argument is that Kill Bill 1-2 and LOTR 1-3 were filmed at the same time and that one part can't exist without the other... but movies within a series are individually released movies, sometimes with a year or more between them.

Not having a go, just throwing my thoughts up on the old argument

Simply put, neither Kill Bill movie feels complete on its own. Neither narrative arc is entirely fulfilling as a whole. Each one reflects light on the other. If at the end of number 1 if there was no inkling of a follow up, the film would be a horrible frustration.

I'm no expert on the Rings trilogy, but I think there is a similarity there. No one film contains enough on its own to be satisfying.