The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Two great films that didn't make my list. It's been a while since I watched either of them.

I've seen The Exorcist more, probably a handful of times. It's one of my step-dad and step-brother's favourite films. I can't really add much to what Mark and crumbsroom have already said. I'm a big fan of William Friedkin overall so a shame that this will probably be his only film on the list, definitely one of the finest director of the 70s with The Exoricst, The French Connection and Sorcerer.

I plan to watch The Third Man this year. It's the only one of his famous films which I haven't seen yet. Looking forward to it.

The Exorcist wasn't on my list, but it's certainly great. Yes, the effects are silly, but as others have noted, its greatness doesn't rest on the quality of its effects. It's how its able to build to the final act in such a way that, the more confident we grow with the two priests, the more vulnerable we'll be to the horrors which come later in the film which prove to be far beyond anyone's control. Overall, I love the film quite a lot and its musings on faith and I think that dismissing it with "The effects were kind of silly, so it doesn't deserve its reputation" is only seeing a fragment of what the film does.

Happily The Third Man made the top 50, although I'd have preferred to see it in the top 25. To me, the film is a perfect production. My review:

The Third Man (1949)

Producer Alex Korda had sent British novelist Graham Greene to Vienna after WWII to conceive and write a screenplay which would capture the wantonness and treacherous times in the post war-torn city. After much research Green developed a screenplay, The Third Man, the novelization of which was published following the film’s highly popular reception.

The opening monologue over depictive scenes of the war-changed city, and how it was divided up into policing sectors by the Allies, set the dynamic expectant mood. Holly Martins, an American pulp western writer, has been invited to come to Vienna by his old friend Harry Lime, who has promised Martins a job. Unfortunately upon arrival Martins learns that Lime has been killed in a pedestrian auto accident. Martins soon suspects that there has been some foul play after inquiring about the incident with some of Lime’s associates, physician, girlfriend, and the porter where Lime resided.

Lime suddenly appears in the flesh, and eventually meets with his old friend. The truth comes out about Lime’s nefarious deadly black market schemes which had resulted in many innocent deaths. A British Major Calloway convinces Martins to help snare Lime, who has agreed to meet again with Martins and Lime’s girlfriend Anna Schmidt. On his arrival Anna warns Lime who flees to the city’s mammoth sewer system. The police lead by the Calloway and Martins chase Lime, who is ultimately shot.

This film is as close to perfection as one could imagine. Everyone involved in the production was at their finest: co-producers Alex Korda and David O. Selznik, Director Carol Reed, cinematographer Robert Krasker, musician Anton Karas, every single actor in the cast, and the phenomenal editing by Oswald Hafenrichter.

Reed had brought with him both Krasker and Hafenrichter who had worked with him on
Odd Man Out, and The Fallen Idol respectively. With these men Reed captured the deepest essence of noir darkness and design, never to be outdone in film to this day. Although Reed had three crews working simultaneously (one each for night, sewer system, and day shooting), it was the impressive night framing, glistening cobblestone streets, back alleys, ubiquitous rubble, and foreboding mood that he captured so palpably.

Each actor was perfect. When David O. Selznik agreed to join as co-producer he brought along Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles to fill the roles of Holly Martins and Harry Lime,
originally written as British characters. Also under contract to him was the ravishing Alida Valli, who was being promoted by Selznik as the next Ingrid Bergman. Some of Germany’s finest actors were enlisted: Paul Hoerbiger, Ernst Deutsch, Erich Ponto, and the fiesty Hedwig Bleitreu as a landlady.

It’s hard to imagine the impact of this picture without the phenomenal score by zither artist Anton Karas. In a happy accident, Reed heard Karas play at a party, and was galvanized by the sound and its relevance to the story and mood of Reed’s picture. He practically hired Karas on the spot to fashion the sole music track, and brought him to London to overdub the music during a 6 week session-- the same amount of time used for the entire Viennese shoot. Never has a score represented
the style of a film, and in this case the era of mid 20th Century Vienna, more exquisitely than did Karas’ stylings. It evokes the gamut of emotions from nostalgic, to haunting, to lively, to humorous. And its use was unique in film as being a single instrument without vocals. The only other score that comes close is David Shire’s eerie piano score for Coppola’s The Conversation.

The film includes two of the most famous scenes in movie history: Harry Lime’s electrifying first entrance into the film by suddenly shining a night time spotlight on
Welles, framing him in a doorway displaying his sardonic and whimsical smile with hat askew; and possibly the most iconic ending in film history-- after Lime’s funeral, as Anna takes the long walk back to town on the autumn leaf strewn lane, she walks straight past Martins, who had been leaning on a wagon waiting to reconcile with her. Rebuffed, Martins lights a cigarette, then throws down the match in disgust. The screen goes to black.

Books and countless articles and lectures have been written about
The Third Man. The British Film Institute selected it as the #1 film in their list of top 100 British films. In my view it’s one of the best films ever made.

I'm not a horror fan, but The Exorcist, along with Psycho is a landmark horror film that wildly captured the interest of the early 1970s public. The story was fresh at the time, and was able to instill a mood and sense of dread that permeated most of the film.

I agree with Mark F.'s earlier commentary about the production. Every character's portrayal was top of the line, and each brought some of the best acting of their careers to the unusual film. I recall the excellent work by Lee J. Cobb and Ellen Burstyn where Kinderman is questioning and offering his supicions to Regan's mother.

And to boot, the iconic poster of von Sydow standing in shadow on the sidewalk at night, looking up at the window beaming light down to him is one of the finest and most iconic film posters ever done.

The picture was almost given an "X" rating by the MPAA board, but was talked out of it by Warner Bros. It became the most talked about movie of 1973, and it was the first horror movie to ever receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

I'm wondering of all the folks here who are saying The Exorcist was laughable are perhaps too young to really understand just how different it was for the time. People completely freaked out over this movie when it first came out. And, for the time period, it was extremely shocking and scary. I didn't see it till much, much later, and it was still creepy and shocking, even then. (In the meantime, I decided to read the book instead. Much like Jaws, the book was still better.)
maybe not too young but not a fan of the supernatural/exorcism stuff like me, I just find most of those movies somewhat silly.

that's why when it comes to horror I stick to slashers or other horror movies where a human (man or women) is taking in control of someone or a group of people. Like Halloween, I find it more creepy to see a guy that's walking around aimlessly with a pale mask on and just wants to kill some one just because he can instead of some girl or boy that looks like they are having some allergic reaction because they took too many drugs or something. Sorry if I sound like I'm bashing the movie, it's just how the way I feel when it comes to watching the exorcist .

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I plan to watch The Third Man this year. It's the only one of his famous films which I haven't seen yet. Looking forward to it.

The Exorcist wasn't on my list, but it's certainly great. Yes, the effects are silly, but as others have noted, its greatness doesn't rest on the quality of its effects. It's how its able to build to the final act in such a way that, the more confident we grow with the two priests, the more vulnerable we'll be to the horrors which come later in the film which prove to be far beyond anyone's control. Overall, I love the film quite a lot and its musings on faith and I think that dismissing it with "The effects were kind of silly, so it doesn't deserve its reputation" is only seeing a fragment of what the film does.
Also just focusing on the effects leaves out the first half of the movie which is a completely different type of horror. It’s like this weird medical horror movie where nobody can figure out what’s wrong with this girl and they keep doing all these awful painful tests on her. It’s very upsetting.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm not sure. There were obviously examples earlier of them being too easy, which is way worse. Since they're just a fun bonus and the reveal is the primary thing, then they should definitely err on the side of being too hard, rather than too easy.

Also, they get easier by their very nature as the list goes on, because fewer and fewer films could plausibly be that high on the list. We're already at the point where people can know, with about 90% certainty, which films remain, which makes guessing through brute force increasingly plausible unless the clues can apply to several of them. So they have to get broader. But there's usually still a dead giveaway. "Sweet science" only refers to boxing, and there was only one boxing film plausibly left, for example.

Anyway, my sweet spot is that at least one person guesses each film (but usually not both), and that's been happening most of the time. I take that as a pretty good sign re: difficulty. General goals like that are really the only measure I can use, because puzzle difficulty can only be measured in the aggregate. What's obvious to one person (I think you were the only one who got American Beauty) isn't to the next, even though the next day they might swap places.
So we decided to leave off not only the best boxing movie but also the second best one too

So we decided to leave off not only the best boxing movie but also the second best one too
I have never been so ashamed of a post of yours.

Well, we probably left off your favorites, if that's what you mean, but I don't think I've ruled out any plausible inclusions. Raging Bull is the most critically acclaimed boxing film of all-time (particularly with Rocky already accounted for), so I think anyone who spotted the giveaway would've likely gotten it (and if not, the other clues help, too).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Two excellent films that, in their own rights, expressed exactly how it should be done for similar films that followed them.
I had The Third Man at #16.

The Third Man

British MP: I'm sorry, Miss, it's orders. We can't go against the protocol.
Anna Schmidt: I don't even know what protocol means.
British MP: Neither do I, Miss.

Oh the shadows! The beautiful, beautiful shadows!
One of the very great selling points of seeing a Black & White film is the clever use of shadows and The Third Man does it in spades. Such as the first reveal of the scoundrel, Harry Lime (Orson Welles), it becomes an entity of its own in the final act of this film. Along with the incredible dutch angle style of composition, the tension is skillfully and playfully rendered. There are countless scenes where you can easily hit pause to admire and appreciate how so many of the shots are crafted in the film. Placing us in the twisted maze that Joseph Cotten's Holly Martin is dropped within, and then refuses to leave, once arriving in Vienna only to discover that his friend from his youth, Harry Lime, is dead.
His confusion/frustration is even expressed in the musical choice of a zither which may seem out of place for much of the more intense situations, but for me, it brings a sort of out of one's safe zone as Martin wanders about Vienna's criminal world.

Another beautifully crafted aspect of this film, beyond the obvious work of the Director and the main actors, Cotten, Welles and Alida Valli are many of the secondary characters/actors. Such as Trevor Howard as Maj. Calloway and his number two man, Sgt. Paine (Bernard Lee), to Baron Kurtz played by Ernst Deutsch and, my favorite epitome of British polite charm, Wilfrid Hyde-White as Crabbin.
They are the cornerstones of this story of "cat and mouse", doing a beautiful job of it.

I think this is the third viewing of this great film, which, like so many, I had the pleasure of discovering as a member of this site and it causes me to be very thankful for this forum and everyone here.
For my praise for The Exorcist I will simply defer to @mark f and @crumbsroom's eloquence.
Like @Austruck I read the book by William Peter Blatty, being too young (3rd Grade) and, honestly, too godd@mn afraid to venture into a dark theater with all the stories running rampant of those who did that year. One of my older sisters lent it to me with a severe warning and with no small amount of reserve about giving a kid such a terrifying/adult novel.

While technically I got to see it on Late Night Regular TV about two years later, it was heavily censored so it was closer to my mid to late teens that I finally saw it on a Rental from a local Blockbuster or its like.
I also saw the "Director's Cut/Extended" version back in the early 90s at the movie theater and found that the Theatrical was pretty extraordinary all on its own.

There as been countless Exorcism movies since, but none -- NONE compares.

Movies Watched 41 out of 54 (75.92%)
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (1969) #81
7. Amadeus (1984) #50
16. The Third Man (1949) #48
23. Metropolis (1927) #73
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

The Third Man was all the way up at #2 on the MoFo '40s List, finishing behind only Casablanca, while The Exorcist was #12 on the MoFo '70s List as well as #8 on the MoFo Horror List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"His" referring to director Carol Reed or actor Orson Welles?

"Sweet science" only refers to boxing, and there was only one boxing film plausibly left, for example.

You forgot Million Dollar Baby, and I'm a rare case of a guy who thinks that's a better movie than Raging Bull.

Tomorrow's hint:

Beware, beware
One's fierce, one's fair

One's tongue is forked
The other rare

One gives advice
But takes his price

Beware beware
The masks they wear