Horror films in alphabetical order

→ in
Tools    

9. Cujo

We all know Cujo is a giant St. Bernard that has to kill because he is rabid. The film works as a horror film because of that concept, but this film and the story writer behind it believe that paybacks are a bitch. Retribution is always around the corner and when it is your time, you don't know if it is going to from a guy in a hockey mask, a massive great white shark,a 58 red and white Plymouth Fury, some idiot with long finger knives or a lovable Saint Bernard. Whatever it is though, sin always accounted for. Cujo subscribes to that theory.

Everyone that dies in this film, with the exception of maybe one, does so because they are not very likable people to begin with. They are all tainted and when Cujo gets a hold of them, we are almost glad that he wants their blood. But it is the climax of the film that is the most intriguing. Because here we have a woman who has gotten rid of her sin. But she now has to face the music not for what she is doing, but for what she has done. And if you read the book, you will see that it sticks to that theory and message much more than the film does. It is understood that Cujo has to have a happy Hollywood ending, and that is fine, but the book tells a much more clear yet paradoxically convoluted tale of a boy, his dog, and how sin is never really forgiven.

What is also great about Cujo is how it shows the dog coming unravelled. We see the transformation from lovable suck of a family dog, to vicious killing machine that has an insatiable need for blood. We see his nose get more wet, we see how certain noises bother him more and we see how much saliva this dog has stored up in his nasty mouth.

Cujo is a good movie. It is scary, especially the last half hour and it actually has a point. It also does a fairly good job of bringing King's vision to life. It is not easy to do that, after all King has a very vivid imagination. But Cujo comes close. Very close

10. Critters

While the `B' movie horror flick typically bore and enrage me, this proved to be one of those rare exceptions. I must have watched this movie six times, and every time, I was freaked out by the little critters who couldn't appease their undying need for sustenance. This was quite a cool film to watch, especially when the creatures are finally killed off (which you will have experience for yourself). This is my idea of good mindless fun, which is exactly what I expected from this film.

11. Cure

This movie has a simple premise and a simple story that is nevertheless explored in an incredibly delicate and talented way. Kiyoshi Kurosawa is an extremely talented individual and perhaps the only writer/director who is able to simultaneously scare and mentally challenge me at the same time (note that very few are capable of doing one or the other). Although the writing is very good (story and dialogue), Kurosawa's real strength is his ability to represent visually the progressive denouement of his story. He rather subtly show you and let your imagination and intellect figure it out for you than to spell out bluntly what the straightforward storyline should be. It does not, however, get to the point of chaotic untidiness or pointlessness, for he is able to guide you slowly along the way (I would then say that he is slightly easier to follow than David Lynch is, but then again who is not). He uses here a strikingly effective technique where he shows you a room from one angle and later lets you discover that room more and more as the movie advances. His camera shots are always well planned and he is thus able to draw you in the movie bit by bit-quite an eerie sensation.

The acting is generally good and believable. The camera-work is a stand out.

There are many scenes where you will be able to appreciate this superior artistic and technical quality. The music is good and tenseful, but it is sparse and what is used instead is a contrast of minimalist and grossly amplified everyday sounds that vibrate through the movie. When there is no sound, you often find yourself holding your breath. This is not used strictly as a ploy, but rather creates a mood and further pulls you in the general atmosphere of the movie. Most of all, again, the directing is top notch. The pace which is slow enough for you to have the time to both think and be afraid is not slow enough that it gets boring, although you should not expect a North American expeditious run through the film. Everything is there, but it comes to you in slow, meticulously chosen dosage. Only, at the end can you truly see the masterpiece that has been drawn stroke by stroke in front of you.

One of the reason this movie actually works is that it is designed to play with your mind and trigger fear and reaction based not only on emotion, but on reason. People are dying, but everything is calm, rational. The tone and story are pretty much realistic and, at the end of the experience, you may feel beyond your volitional control that you are actually convinced of the "strange" things in the movie. Hopefully this feeling will subside..

12. Cello

Cello is yet another supernatural piece to come out of South Korea, who has been trying to catch up with the Japanese for the longest time. The film tries to be different from its predecessors by attempting to be more of a story-driven flick rather than relying simply on the same old Ringu and Grudge scare-tactics, yet it still fails into separating itself from the genre and instead creates a mess of the story; eventually leading to an all-too-predictable twist towards the end. Although, the story is interesting, especially when more details are revealed, it seems to play out more as a Soap Drama with small supernatural elements thrown in.

The premise follows a mother who discovers that her mute and slow-witted elder daughter takes a liking to a cello at a store window. Naturally since the mother once played the cello becomes keen to the idea of her daughter showing interest in it; at least until the lives around her begin to fall apart -- her sister seemingly goes crazy after her BF dumps her; the eldest daughter becomes obsessed with the cello and more violent towards her younger sister; and even the mother herself starts to go crazy when details of her sordid past are slowly revealing themselves, questioning her sanity, especially when people start dying. All thanks to that pesky cello.

The movie proves to be an interesting watch, but it does drag on in parts since it's mostly story-driven. In fact, we really don't see a whole lot of ghost-action until more than half-way through. Even then it's not the least bit scary, especially if you've seen a number of Asian ghost-flicks in the past. Then when more details behind the truth of the cello and the mother are revealed, it starts to really pick up; eventually leading to the twists and turns to "shock" the viewers. Although, if you've watched films the past 10 years you probably would’ve already guessed the ending. Regardless, I give credit to it trying to be different than the usual mold by adding more plot than scares.

You’ve seen one South Korean horror flick, you've seen'em all. This really is no different, even if it does try to add more story than its predecessors. Despite it all, once more details are revealed towards the end, it does pick up, but by then does it even matter? Worth a check if you're a fan of SK horror

13. Chaw

Chaw turned out to be a disappointing creature feature to come out of South Korea. The movie is mostly just a comedy with minor horror and dramatic elements thrown in. Because of the constant shift in the tone of many of the scenes, you'll often find yourself questioning whether you're actually watching a horror flick, especially when you see very little of the boar the second half. Go in expecting a comedy and you may enjoy the movie, but if you go in expecting a solid creature feature, you'll be sorely disappointed

14. Cannibal apocalypse

I heard a lot of positive stuff on this film before seeing it, so I knew it would be good, but I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. It had a cool original story and a good amount of gore. The story is mainly about a Vietnam vet who is released from a small institution due to over-crowding and because they thought he was cured from being cannibalistic. Once he is released he tries to catch up with his old commander, but is shunned, because of an incident years ago when he was held prisoner - when the commander tried to help free them he was bitten on the arm.

After being turned down the vet roams the city streets and it doesn't take long before he starts to get those undeniable cannibalistic urges again. Similar to rabies, once a person is bite they get the "virus" and turn cannibal themselves. Not-soon-after people from the city are infected. What I really liked about this movie was the fact that it had cannibals in a big city. It's rare that you see that kind of thing, because usually cannibal movies take place in a wooded or secluded area. Moving it to a big city with many people makes it a lot more interesting. I just wished a zombie film would do the same.

The acting and directing is pretty good. You'd think that since it is a cannibal movie that it would be loaded with gore, but that's not entirely true. It does have some really cool gore scenes, but overall it doesn't have a lot of gore. I guess that's works for the better because the film would have been like most other cannibal movies. I think it really works out only having the gore in specific scenes. One of my fav. gore scenes would have to be when someone gets shot in the stomach with a shotgun and you see a huge hole where he was shot. Very sweet. I would have given the movie a higher-rating, but it did have a couple small plot-holes, but other than that it was a good movie.

Should please any cannibal-movie fan. Not overloaded with gore, but does have some nice gore scenes. Check this out if you can.

15. Cut

This was a fun film to watch. A lot more enjoyable than I thought it'd be and I'd say that it kicks a lot of these recent teen slashers in the nuts. The film starts off with this film crew making a new horror film. The guy that plays the killer in the film gets pissed at the director and ends up killing her off and then getting himself stabbed in the neck by the Molly Ringwald character. Fast forward about 15 years. A young director and her crew want to finish making the film, even though it's supposed to be cursed. They end up getting Molly Ringwald's character to be in the film one more time and before ya know it, the dead bodies start stacking' up.

I thought this film had a cool edge to it, with its mix of humor and nice death scenes. The killer's mask looked damn cool as well. The plot was pretty much done countless times before, but the concept of how the killer came about was somewhat original. What made the killer really cool and above a lot of the other killers is he had a bit more of a personality. That made it a lot more interesting, than the usual strong silent type, that we're all used to. It does lack in the scares department though. I think this film kinda pokes fun at some slashers, kinda like the way Scream did when it first came out. The death scenes were all pretty good. Didn't have any real gore, but all the blood made up for it. It didn't have any pointless nude or sex scenes. It was interesting from start to finish.

The only thing this film didn't have was (like I said before) the scares. Though, I don't think that's what they were going for anyway. If that were the case I'm sure the film would have been a lot worse and stereotyped as just another wasted teen slasher. I personally think this, aside from Cherry Falls, is one of the more influential and better slasher films to come out of the new decade. Say goodbye to all those Scream-wannabes. The acting was okay I suppose, but the directing was pretty well done. I heard this film was meant to be a trilogy, so expect two more sequels after this. I guess that's not all too bad. I wouldn't mind seeing more. Let’s just hope it stays a trilogy and not have another sequel pop up out of nowhere. If the movie had a better ending or more scares or tension, I would have given a higher rating.

A good slasher flick that kicks many other recent teen slashers in the nuts. I definitely recommend this movie.

16. The canal

Talking about old formulas, The Canal has everyone of them, it harkens back a lot to Sinister or the old Amityville films, however, is one case of a formula being perfectly executed. The film is creepy and scary, and the ending is so cruel! It's an Irish film by the way, always great to see some foreign countries doing horror right.

17. The cabin in the woods

This gloriously self-aware, teen genre-prodding slasher packs hard laughs alongside grisly violence. Co-written by Joss Whedon, The Cabin in the Woods stars a fresh-faced Chris Hemsworth as a burly jock vacationing with his friends in a remote cabin before things inevitably turn bloody. Hilarious, imaginative and boasting one of the best (only?) unicorn-inflicted deaths ever committed to film, this is a fresh take on modern horror

18. The conjuring

The worst thing one can do is tell you that a movie as frightening as this is based on true events. It just makes the whole experience of sitting through it uncomfortably real. The recreation of the ghastly things that one family went through when they moved to this haunted mansion will make you scream in horror. And for a long time, you'll be scared every time someone claps.

19. The crow

While i wouldn't call this one a horror film per se, The Crow is definitely a twisted revenge tale with some very dark moments. Based on a celebrated comic book, the movie's premise is a bit out there: a dead musician named Eric Draven is brought back from the dead by a supernatural crow so that he can avenge the rape and murder of his fiance. Draven sinks deeper into the seedy underworld of Detroit on Devil's Night, taking out the thugs that ended his life in gruesome ways.

It is a real artistic gem, too, full of gothic spirit and an awesome soundtrack to boot. Brandon Lee, who tragically died in an accident during filming, gives an inspired performance as Draven.

20. Cube

A group of strangers wake up in a seemingly endless maze of deadly traps. As they carefully and skeptically try to find their way out, each person learns that they possess a particular skill that landed them in the Cube.

Why you need to watch it: "It was Saw, before Saw was a thing."

21. The changeling

After he loses his family in an accident, a man rents out an old house. What he doesn't know is that he's sharing the space with the ghost of a murdered child who is feeding off of the man's sadness.

Why you need to watch it: "It is psychologically scary and genuinely frightening."

22. The boy

Let's face it, dolls and poltergeists have been overdone in the past decades. It's always the same plot. However, it has NEVER been done like this. At first, it was a bit predictable. Nanny comes in, encounters creepy family, goes with the flow, experiences some disturbing shizz, still goes with the flow because continuity. There were some jumps that were nicely executed and it certainly kept the viewer interested. But movies like this usually head in one direction... This one, on the other hand, brought in something refreshing. I can honestly say I never saw the twist coming. There were very subtle hints, if any. Overall, it was above average yet unnerving.

The Changeling was more of a psychological thriller, rather than a horror movie, but it was a pretty good movie.

BTW, I think you listed The Boy in the wrong letter.

You were right I did. I listed it in c because I missed it out on B

1. The diabolical

The Diabolical is Alistair Legrand's debut feature, and right out of the gate he's made quite a memorable film. The strengths of the film lie in the look of the film and the writing. This low budget feature looks far better than it has any right to. In this era of found footage horror it is refreshing to see a debut that goes for a cinematic look as opposed to a thrown together shaky cam look. The story is very solid, though hard to speak of without going into spoiler heavy territory. Legrand has taken a standard ghost tale and added some fun twists to the third act that elevate The Diabolical well above its brethren. We'll leave it at that so as not to spoil the fun.

The movie is great for those that want a mix of horror with sci-fi and a focus on character. If you are looking for someone to get offed every 10 minutes this movie is not for you. This is not a slasher, or even a traditional ghost story. It takes its cues equally from ET as it does from Poltergeist. If you want great atmosphere, characters you feel for, and a plot that engages your mental faculties you will have a great time with the movie! Looking online it seems some folks have been a bit confused by elements of the plot, but if you are a viewer of any sophistication that should not be the case. You don't get a Psycho shrink laying it all out for you at the end, but the plot twists in the third act are clear if you're paying attention.

If this first feature is any indication, we have a lot to look forward to from Legrand! Here's hoping this unique take on the ghost story manages to find its audience.