My top movies from 2000-2015

→ in
Tools    

The only one of your 2015 ones i've seen so far is Inside Out which i liked alot, it is only my sixth favourite Pixar though. My favourite of 2015 so far is Alex Gibneys Documentary Going Clear

Haven't seen that documentary yet.

1091. Whiplash (2014)

There is so many excellent things to say about this movie. Jk Simmons does an outstanding performance as the highly unpredictable hair triggered tempered teacher fletcher. The performances are outstanding.

My favourite thing about this film is how it has created it's own one of a kind spot in the music genre of film, it's atmosphere is unlike any other as well. The idea that this film is one of a kind can't be stressed enough, this film expresses a shockingly high intensity for a music film.

1090. When marnie was there (2014)

This movie is unique in a sense that the story revolves around two female characters, Anna and marnie. As the story progresses, their relationship becomes more clear and vivid to the viewer, and the confusion of the interwinded reality and the dreamlike world starts to unfold.

1089. What we do in the shadows (2014)

The jokes were brilliant and more importantly, they were frequent and constantly brilliant. I loved the interaction of the main characters with each other and the supporting cast.

Each of the main vampires had their moments and we're all equally funny. I was also surprised by the special effects which were really well done.

1088. Welcome to new York (2014)

The movie is a unique affair with one of the strongest main characters i've seen in years. The real story almost disappears and then re enters to keep us grounded but the narration is very human and real and therefore very terrifying. I like how long ferrara leaves his actors be in the moment and how he always reaches with that length the next layer of a fictional scene. The dark unlit places look great. I driving from the airport sounds like new York but in the edit it also sounds like a hellish tunnel. Just a great film from a great director.

1087. Two step (2014)

From the start the film pulls you in and takes you on a wild ride that is full of raw brutality but shocks you with a believeable compelling story line. At times the raw brutality made me jump.

1086. One day, two nights (2014)

This film kept me riveted Until the final scene, as tense as any tightly consented political election. Cotillard does an outstanding job as the working class woman battling against her fears. Though highly recognisable from previous high profile roles, she blends into the character seamlessly. Ultimately, the film is not about economic struggles, depression, or a choice between selfishness and compassion. It is about an individual taking responsibility for her life, and in the process, transforming it's very fabric and the lives of the people around her.

1085. The tribe (2014)

The tribe is a remarkable movie set in a boarding school for deaf students, or more specifically it's dark side. The world if bullying, violence, juvenile delinquency and prostitution. It is brutal, visceral and tragic. The dialogue is in ukrainian sign language without any subtitles or spoken words. It is gripping, immersing, thought-provoking and quite watchable.

1084. Tombukto (2015)

I don't believe there is one frame in this film that is not gorgeous, that couldn't be displayed as a photograph in a gallery. The muted colours of the desert, the medieval architecture of the town, the tragically expressive faces always glowing in a magical light - all of it is almost painfully beautiful. The story is beyond tragic. By seamlessly degreesing numerous anecdotes illustrating the quirks of the population, the director leaves us to appreciate deeply the texture and social fabric of the community that is being poisoned by madness. We see in particular it's effect on an extremely appealing but by no means sanctified family.

1083. The theory of everything (2014)

The theory of everything is about the life of Stephen hawking who is arguably the greatest mind alive today. He came up with a black hole at the center of the universe. This movie is the story of his life. From when he was in school to when he came up with this theory to when he gets lou gehrid's disease. It's also a pretty easy movie to follow when it comes to the science.

The most impressive thing in this movie is Eddie redmayne's performance. Every phase of the disease was like a new performance by Eddie redmayne. He had to adapt to the circumstances and act a certain way for when he was at in the phases in the disease. Whether it be in appearance, movement, speech etc. The man gave it his all.

1082. Theeb (2014)

This film is an excellent all-around package, as long as your not overly addicted to slamband mindless Hollywood productions. The actor's were every bit the characters they played, and the story makes you think about the issues of Brotherhood, taking sides, growing up.

The cinematography is gorgeous, spanning the north African landscapes in all their vastness, adding to the understanding of the isolation the tribal people lived with. While this movie takes place in WWI, it is not a war movie.

1081. Still Alice (2014)

This is a realistic and emotional story of a woman living with Alzeimers disease. Julianne Moore successfully shows the struggle, confusion, anger, pain and isolation of having such a disease through her incredible performances.

She allows the viewers to see what having Alzeimers is really like. This film also has an excellent screenplay, a screenplay that is raw and honest.

1080. Srations of the cross (2014)

The film moves at a satisfying quaint pace and scale for the first hour, then it takes the perfect fateful trail to it's bitter end and it's equally devastating and thought-provoking. Lea van acken is extraordinary, giving a vulnerable and mature performance far beyond her years as the 14 year old Maria.

1079. Song of the sea (2014)

This animation is so wonderfully animated, the character designs have a real good charm without being too cute or sterotypical, but even better are the breathtakingly beautiful colours and very handsomely detailed and at its best magical background art.

The music score is equally amazing, the melancholic and lifting celtic sound fitting so well and hauntingly with the story's emotional mood. The film contains a beautifully written script, thoughtful and with many nuances.

1078. The skeleton twins (2014)

The sense of anguish and pain is most impressively humanised by wiig's surprising and accomplished performance. From the start of the film, her sunken body language perfectly stresses the unhappiness and the weight that she feels in her life. A close-up shot of her face shows a tear running down her cheek during her suicide attempt which further realises the sadness of her character.

Additionally, there is a strong climax where Maggies fury at milo ignites and the transcendent way that wiig disappears into her role as she projects this anger rates as a career highlight.

There are a few laughs, mostly from the film's quiet and sly humour.

1077. Selma (2014)

The film showed all the causes and events surrounding the march from Selma to Montgomery in 1965. The term civil rights seems to raise a direct relation to Martin Luther King. However, the movement was not ran by one single African American, it was the entire black community and the movie did a great job showing the combined efforts of everyone that worked toward gaining their rights as American citizens. The grassroots support from the poorest to the white priest from the north showed the influence of the movement. During the movie, there were three attempts of the march and each time the amount of people grew and the participants diversified, showing the impact the event had as it progressed. The movie also displayed how essential nonviolence and public support is to a movement. If violent protesting was employed, the public would not have supported the march and the blacks would not have received what they were fighting for and would continued to be deprived of their rights.

One extremely powerful scene from the movie was when chaos and violence broke out during the first march. It was distressing to see state troopers, people citizens are suppose to trust, heartlessly beating the poor marchers. It was a compelling moment that showed how deep-rooted the south was in discrimination against African Americans. No wonder that even though the fight for civil rights have been around since the Reconstruction Era but didn't achieve its goals until the late 1960s. Another interesting part of that scene was the white reporter, Roy Reed, who was there the entire time to tell America the horrors that were occurring in Selma, Alabama. For the entire movie up to that point, it seemed as if there were no nice white citizens around Alabama and it was kind of soothing to finally see some humanity. Although Selma has several inaccuracies, it is still a great movie that people should watch if they want a screen portrayal of the civil rights movement in the 1960s

1076. Rocks in my pockets (2014)

This is one of the most important films of our generation. A stunning, rich, poignant piece that exposes issues that no other filmmakers have been brave enough to address. Watching it is like having a window into the minds of writers and artists who we have lost to depression and suicide - the contrast for the fight for survival, living with enhanced sensitivity, and struggling with the often cruel and icy world in which one is left to thrive.

It is a masterfully woven visual story; comedic at times, captivating and filled with tears of wonder.

1075. The raid 2 (2014)

Without a doubt, this film has the most incredible fight scenes I have ever seen. The choreography is amazing and I felt every single brutal hit. The acting from all parts is amazing. The directing and cinematography are equally incredible both giving the characters and the fights life. The script is great providing plenty of twists and giving the characters and the world depth.

1074. Pride (2014)

The film, so appropriately named, delivers a moving story about pride, friendship and solidarity. When I was laughing at the incredible performances from the top cast, I was crying at the emotional and moving story that runs through the film.