The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Only Angels Have Wings is a Cary Grant film I truly need to see and did not get to, sadly.
Though I was able to revisit Mutiny in the Best Picture HoF and was unable to fit it into my list.

Mutiny on the Bounty

My favorite rendition of this, though it has been a long time since seeing others; I may need to rewatch them, (1962 with Brando & Trevor Howard and The Bounty from '84 with Gibson and Hopkins) to be completely sure, but this has Charles Laughton and while I am the anomaly regarding his performance and/or him as well, I am very bias since I am a big fan of his. Hell, I even did my very first HoF with a blind grab of one of his movies The Suspect for the first 40's HoF.
I've watched him since I was a wee tot, and much like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, another movie that's been redone, again and again, it is his portrayal I enjoy the most. Can't honestly explain it, but I am always entertained when watching him and this is no different from the list of other movies I've seen him in.

I think my only critique, which, if my faulty memory works somewhat, is one for the others as well; it does seem to linger too long in Tahiti, or perhaps that the truly engaging scenes are on the Bounty, so that the tension slips and drags a little when the movie shifts to the island.
Which does pick back up when Bligh is back to collect what "mutinous dogs" he can lay his hands on to "hang from the highest yardarm in the British fleet."

I had forgotten about not seeing what happened to the other men that were captured, but then with the Hayes Code fully in effect at the time of filming, that could easily be the cause of that and instead we get the more vision of better times for the British Navy and the crews that man the ships of said Navy.

But still, a rip-roaring seafaring yarn, me laddies.

Watched 30/58 (51.7%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Two from my list. Only Angles Have Wings was really high. That was a very pleasant surprise. Mutiny was really good because Laughton is fantastic.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Two from my list. Only Angles Have Wings was really high. That was a very pleasant surprise. Mutiny was really good because Laughton is fantastic.
Yes, yes he is.

Loved both films but neither made my cut. So...

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Mr. Deeds Goes To Town is one of my favorite movies. I try to watch it every time it airs on TCM. It was #6 on my list.

I liked the book Of Mice and Men more than the movie, but the movie is okay. I prefer the Gary Sinise version over this version.

Mutiny on the Bounty was okay, but I never considered it for my list.

I prefer Cary Grant more in comedies than dramas, but Only Angels Have Wings is a terrific movie, and it deserved a high place on my list. It was #4 on my list.

I've heard of Olympia, but I haven't seen it. It sounds interesting, but I have other movies on my watchlist that I have to see before I can watch this.

I haven't heard of The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum.

My List (so far):
4) Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
6) Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
9) Bachelor Mother (1939)
15) The Awful Truth (1937)
19) The Young in Heart (1938)

Woohoo! Two from my own list made it! I had 42nd Street at #5 just under Gold Diggers of 1933. I love both movies so it was hard to decide on their order. I do like the movie poster for 42nd Street it's a great example of art deco styling.

Public Enemy is great. Cagney of course makes the film but I like Mae Clarke in it too. Even though her big claim to fame is the grapefruit in the face scene. Both Cagney and Clarke are featured on the photo image I made for the first post. Though both are from different movies, do you know which films those were?

Watched both and liked both but neither The Public Enemy nor 42nd Street quite made it onto my ballot.

Seen: 37/60
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
40. A Farewell To Arms
39. Steamboat Round The Bend

Always had a soft spot for 42nd Street. It just seems to hit me more than any of the other large scale musical productions.

My List
#4. The Scarlet Empress (Josef von Sternberg)
#5. Port of Shadows (Marcel Carné)
#7. Humanity and Paper Balloons (Sadao Yamanaka)
#11. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums (Kenji Mizoguchi)
#15. Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian)
#20. City Girl (F.W. Murnau)
#22. A Day in the Country (Jean Renoir)
#25. 42nd Street (Lloyd Bacon)

Public Enemy is great. Cagney of course makes the film but I like Mae Clarke in it too. Even though her big claim to fame is the grapefruit in the face scene. Both Cagney and Clarke are featured on the photo image I made for the first post. Though both are from different movies, do you know which films those were?
Those are tough to identify! Could be a lot of films. I'd say Mae Clarke's is one like Waterloo Bridge with Douglass Montgomery, and Cagney's could be an early one like Blonde Crazy, with Joan Blondell.

You'll have to reveal...

~Doc

Those are tough to identify! Could be a lot of films. I'd say Mae Clarke's is one like Waterloo Bridge with Douglass Montgomery, and Cagney's could be an early one like Blonde Crazy, with Joan Blondell.

You'll have to reveal...

~Doc
You're right, good going. There's 8 images on the photo in the first post and two of them are from Waterloo Bridge and Blonde Crazy.

From my list so far:

4. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)
7. L'Atalante (1934)
13. 42nd Street (1933)
18. Footlight Parade (1933)
24. Top Hat (1935)

Yes, I voted for all three legendary 1933 musicals.

You're right, good going. There's 8 images on the photo in the first post and two of them are from Waterloo Bridge and Blonde Crazy.
Wow! I didn't know I was that good!. Good guesser is more like it..

The countdown is starting to get more interesting now, having gotten the first 50 out of the way, so to speak. There could be 400-500 or more films that might find their way into a "top 100" list. I'll be especially interested in the final 25. Several of my picks have made the list already, so they're obviously not in the final 25.

You're doing great work here, CR!

~Doc