Movie Tab II

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Used Future
Hardware is a film you grow to love. I've seen it over a dozen times now and it gets better every time. Don't understand why everyone's bashing it on this site all of a sudden. I know loads of people who recognise it for the cyberpunk classic it is.
I've got fond memories of Hardware (despite seeing it nigh on decades ago). I do remember thinking it was pretty uneven, but then liking a lot of that unevenness too (except perhaps for the peeping tom stuff, which overstepped some line i now can't remember). You can't take a film too seriously that uses the final solution i seem to recall tho. Not sure if it was the atmosphere they achieved on a clearly limited budget, or whatever, but I'd definitely watch it again.

A system of cells interlinked
Who was ragging on Hardware? I definitely liked it, and had to immediately grab a copy of the special edition with my Amazon gift card

Meanwhile:

Trick R Treat (Dougherty, 2008)

I didn't expect much from this, but was pleasantly surprised. A fun lil horror flick with some real creativity. Sort of like Creepshow for Halloween...

I don't know what film you were watching, but The Howling is plenty tense, and Bottin's effects were groundbreaking. One of the best horror flicks of the 80's. Fact.

Hardware is a film you grow to love. I've seen it over a dozen times now and it gets better every time. Don't understand why everyone's bashing it on this site all of a sudden. I know loads of people who recognise it for the cyberpunk classic it is.

Lustig's Maniac better that Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer? You've got to be kidding. Maniac is bottom of the barrel garbage by comparison; a real chore to sit through. Sheesh.

Man, our tastes couldn't be further removed from each other.
For the record, i actually purchased all of these and never said any were ***** so not trying to be a wind up merchant. I'm guessing my 'nonsense opinions' might be due to not seeing these films nearer their release but oh well. Am glad i watched them, so do value your recommendations.

There may be spoilers in the following

Howling- i liked it, just didn't love it. Yeah, the effects were good but some have dated. I didn't find it that tense, not much happens for most of it- her husband's turn didn't seem to amount to much, the hero was bit of a nobody and randomly there was emphasis on the killer from the beginning being a big character

Hardware- there were a lot of nice touches, like the singers introducing their own songs in character for one. Just the initial sprawling post-apocalypse setting seemed lost once the film settled into just a confined apartment space, the main character was weak as was the actor. The messages the director was aiming for didn't work fantastically but i can see the charm and liked the overall tone.

Maniac- ok, maybe being better than Henry needed more thought. I enjoyed it more, Henry isn't exactly a pleasant film and worse a lot stronger than Maniac. But i liked Savini's effects and the final zombie scene made it a bit more interesting, not as powerful as Henry though

2012(Roland Emerich 2009)-the worst spend 6.30 ever 3 hours of soap opera thank God there was the destruction otherwise I would have cut my wrists in the theater.Congrats Mr. Emerich you finally destroyed the world you happy?

The Birth Of A Nation (D.W. Griffith, 1915 ) - The truly disturbing thing about this film isn't its racially charged content, but its reception. "The Birth of a Nation" was a runaway hit, in spite of protests. Its success reveals the disturbing mentality of America in 1915, and I suspect that White viewers unable to overcome the film's offensive content in order to understand its historical and technical value are reacting to an impulse to distance themselves from that mentality. This is probably a good thing; however, to claim that the film no longer has relevance and portrays an extinct mode of thinking is short-sighted and quite simply wrong. Jim Crow, peonage and the Reconstruction-era Klan are gone, but they have been replaced by an overwhelmingly Black and Latino prison population, project housing and a conglomerate of Neo-Nazi groups and right-wing religious organizations who continue to agitate on the grounds of race. Every time we say, "this isn't my problem," or, "those people need to learn to take care of themselves," or, "The war has been over for 150 years! Give it a rest," we become the ignorant White Southerners of "The Birth of a Nation." The film records a mentality which has been with us for hundreds of years, is still with us, and will remain with us unless we pay attention to what our films are trying to tell us, in spite of themselves.

In the Beginning...

Up (Docter/Peterson, 2009)

Not Pixar's best, but really nothing to fault either. Sweet story, lovable characters, and an unlikely adventure that's accentuated by wonderfully diverse visuals. The boys at Pixar are on their game.

The Amateurs (Traeger, 2005)

Great little film that's marred only by some clumsy exposition at the front end and the absence of some final editing. Once the plot gets going, the film steps smartly, keeping things quick and fun while sprinkling just the right amount of depth and charm along the way. Surprisingly innocent, given the plot, but I think that's also a testament to the wonderful cast. If only the lovely Lauren Graham had been given more to do. (And no, not in the way you're thinking, perverts. )

Underworld (Wiseman, 2003)

Meh, didn't care for this. Clearly designed to sup on The Matrix fame, the film falls apart at the script, committing a number of logic errors and never really fleshing out its characters enough to draw the audience in. Everything was much too guarded, leaving most of the plot and action elements just an inkling of what they could have been. Being cool and dark doesn't buy your way into the hearts of your viewers.

Underworld: Evolution (Wiseman, 2006)

Wow. This one is a hundred thousand times better than its predecessor. Wiseman and crew smartly keep things simple and tight, but ballsy. There is chemistry, finally, between Selene and Michael, and Markus makes for a deliciously terrifying hunter-villain. The writers finally allow the characters to show emotion and some desire for self-preservation, and craft a narrative that's not so cut-and-dry in the "who deserves come-uppance" department. That's always a good thing. Some logic errors here, too, and it gets pretty sensational at times. But still, this sequel is leaps and bounds better than the original.

A system of cells interlinked
Contour (2006, Jacobus)

(Ok - I watched a flick last night, by the name of Contour. I think it was made for about 85 bucks. Set in San Francisco, this martial arts film was directed and produced by a team of stunt workers. With a tongue in cheek tone, the film constantly pokes fun at itself, as the creators were well aware they were making a collection of silly filler scenes in a martial arts film. That said, this film contains some of the best martial arts fighting I have ever seen.

There was no money for wire work or flashy effects, so these guys simply choreographed several high energy, super fast fights using traditional martial arts. Anyone that has ever taken a martial art will instantly recognize the skill of these gentleman. The first fight isn't that great, but a few that are interspersed throughout the film are pretty amazing.

Watch it for the fights...if you like that sort of thing...just be prepared for what amounts to a backyard film.

&feature=related

Blood Diamond

Despite having something of a 'join the issues' plot, this is a pretty effective piece of big-name action-packed agitprop. Factual accuracies seem to pervade, from the atrocities of the RUF rebels (limb lopping, enforced diamond mining, kid soldier indoctrinating), to the price-fixing games of the diamond cartel (albeit symbolically portrayed by one pseudo company). This even seemed to extend to a Rhodesian colonel, the de facto criminal leader of Di Caprio's dodgy-dealing survivalist, having a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog. Someone here seems to know the 'red soil' of Africa, and the 'red strangers' who've spent some time amongst it.

That's not to say that you don't have to suspend your disbelief a lot, or navigate standard blockbuster cliches, but the film still comes through these weakness robustly. Hounsou is given a particularly stereotypical and slight role as the Sierra Leonean separated from his family, enslaved by the RUF, and made the centre of attention by his discovery of a giant diamond, yet he fills it up to brimming point. The confrontation with his own son, now a member of the RUF 'infantry' (as one benefactor would have it), is a rare moment where the dialogue is a match for his input.

++

Sunshine

Finally got to watch this on a non-poxy tele, and it is definitely a lush visual experience. The story still has a few too many hanging points for me tho (with the end not selling it's 'singular' story that well to my eyes, despite a lot of promise). Kind of like a modern Event Horizon, and including many of the staples of the space-faring disaster genre (a composite crew that can't make you care about all of them, tough decisions that often involve diving through safety locks etc). I think there were just a few too many blunt bits of exposition at the beginning and dropped bits of character development along the way for the tone of fragile human isolation to pervade in the air (although it was well evoked by a couple of the 'wide-screen-visored' spacesuit scenes etc, and some of the interactions). Loved a lot of the broiling, seething, glimmering visuals all told (even if they did boil over from vapourish fever to a strange crystalised glitchiness, full of odd beats, where the nemesis figure was concerned).

WARNING: "state of incoherence" spoilers below
And talking of the skin-stripped baddie, was there meant to be ambiguity about whether he'd actually survived, or somehow phantasmically reformed? The visuals suggested the other-worldly element, but much of what he did suggested he could have just been a space-ravaged nutter. It somehow made him an unsatisfying, if 'occludidly visceral' evil. Just the way he was circumnavigated at the very end, made irrelevant by the delivery of the payload (meh, maybe I'm hankering after a classic "kill him 3 times before he's dead" staple scenario?). Also it felt like it had become some kind of 'science vs superstition' scenario, which seemed a bit cumbersome.

(+)
I agree with both the speculation and the reaction; I do think they were going for a science-vs-superstition angle, and I just don't think it worked (and not just because I'd fall more under their "superstitious" category ).

WARNING: "Sunshine" spoilers below
I like the reveal (finding out he's on the ship based on air supply problems, even though I imagine a computer that smart would've alerted them without being asked), and I like the whole "addiction" angle, particularly in how we see its beginnings with one of the other crew members. But he's just too superhuman at the end, and I didn't find quite that level of hysteria believable.

I agree that the cast isn't terribly fleshed out, but I think they had about as much depth as possible under the circumstances. It certainly made more of an effort than your usual disaster movies do.

I guess it comes down to just how much the good outweighs the bad for each viewer, since most of us seem to agree on just what is good and bad about the film.

I gave it a
in my review a couple of years ago, saw it a second time in the theater, and have since bought the DVD and seen it again. Personally, I find the music, mood, and execution to be near-flawless, to the point where they drown out my issues with the film. I was just grateful for a disaster film where the characters behave as if the fate of the world really is in their hands, for once, and are too terrified of that fact to crack wise or rule out agonizing choices.

I agree that the cast isn't terribly fleshed out, but I think they had about as much depth as possible under the circumstances. It certainly made more of an effort than your usual disaster movies do.
Yeah, I'm being a bit unfair. It's definitely above and beyond the usual disaster movie spec in what it aims for. I was a dreading what would come when Chris 'Flame On' Evans slammed the table and said something like 'In case you've forgotten, our sun is dimming and we're on a mission to save it', but thought he actually brought his 'pragmatist' arc to life pretty well in the end, for example. There were a couple of other bits dispersed throughout the film that took me out of it on each occasion though (such as the bit where Michelle Yeoh was edited poorly, going from a jocular response to 'Flameboy' about how she knew the noises they were hearing were just metal distending, to saying in a subdued tone that it sounds like like it's in pain. It's not that the script or her delivery were bad, it's just that the overall presentation messed up for me, and when characters get precious few lines to delineate themselves, that stuff hurts the pic).

Originally Posted by Yods
I guess it comes down to just how much the good outweighs the bad for each viewer, since most of us seem to agree on just what is good and bad about the film.
Yeah, and i'm a git both on that, and on ratings in general . That's still a pretty respectable rating for me tho (I think I'm being extra picky at points here because it's a film that is pitching for, and almost relying on, an escalation of tone, and dropped balls rattle around more noticeably in that environment)

Originally Posted by Yods
I gave it a
in my review a couple of years ago, saw it a second time in the theater, and have since bought the DVD and seen it again. Personally, I find the music, mood, and execution to be near-flawless, to the point where they drown out my issues with the film.
This viewing bumped up my appreciation almost purely because I saw it on a decent sized TV. I'm sure if I saw it at the cinema i'd like it even more, because it is awash with visual and aural vibe, like you say

Welcome to the human race...

The Man Who Wasn't There (Joel Coen, 2001) -

The Coen brothers are nothing if not dependable. While this is probably going to end up one of my less favourite works of theirs, it's still a treat in virtually every department. They manage to deftly capture the vibe of classic noir, thanks in no small part to Roger Deakins' strikingly monochromatic cinematography and Billy Bob Thornton's drawling voice-over. While it does get to a point where it feels like it's been going on a little longer than it really needed to, it still ticks all the boxes in making a good Coen brothers film, which puts it in the running for a good film overall.

The Jerk (Carl Reiner, 1979) -

My initial rating for this film was going to be a
, for while it was rather funny, there were also plenty of instances where it wasn't as funny and there were plenty of moments that seemed like they were trying to be funny but weren't working for me. However, in retrospect I can't really fault the film that hard. I'd gladly watch it again and probably laugh harder a second time around, which probably can't be good for me. Martin puts in an excellent performance, to say nothing of his supporting cast (highlights were M. Emmet Walsh and Jackie Mason), and the film was a worthwhile 90 minutes.

Singin' In The Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952) -

I don't really need to explain this one, but whatever. I was under the impression that I'd never actually seen this film from start to finish (only getting shown most of it in class a couple of years back), so I decided that I needed to give it a proper viewing. Just as well - Singin' In The Rain is just plain old-fashioned musical fun, it never drags (although stopping the main film's plot for the "Broadway Melody" mini-movie towards the end feels like a conspicuous attempt to stretch the film out, in spite of the sequence's quality), but I'm not complaining. Kelly's awesome, although I doubt I'm alone in thinking that Donald O'Connor practically steals the show (or maybe they're both equally brilliant). The writing's also surprisingly clever and funny. Basically, this is about as entertaining as you could really hope for any movie to be.

American Splendor (Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini, 2003) -

Decided to re-watch this to see whether it was worthy of a DVD purchase. I would say it is. Damned fine film, great acting (especially when you compare the actors to their real-life counterparts appearing in the film) and the delightfully unique filmmaking approach. Probably one of my favourite films of the decade.

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (Richard Brooks, 1958) -

I hadn't planned on watching this, but I was flicking across channels and stopped on TCM just as it was starting. Needless to say, I stopped flicking for most of the movie and managed to watch. A fine little film with some great performances from Paul Newman and Burl Ives (to say nothing of Liz Taylor) and it was just a good adaptation of a great play.

Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968) -

It may be a horror film that burns so slow that it makes The Exorcist seem like The Evil Dead in comparison, but to say it doesn't inspire even the slightest unease would be lying. I have some issues with it (what little music there is really jars with the film) but for the most part it's very well-made, managing not to jump headlong into supernatural craziness, and well-acted by just about everybody in the film. The ending was certainly a surprise.

Room At The Top (Jack Clayton, 1959) -

One of the things that can really determine the entertainment value of a film is how late at night I can watch it and still be gripped from start to finish. Room at the Top started playing on TV at about 1 in the morning, yet it was paced so well that I almost didn't notice just how well it managed to keep a tight hold on my interest for two hours. The writing was strong and tightly paced, and the film was shot to match, with the story moving along at a surprising speed. The photography was decent, as was the general acting. Despite coming close to delving into basic melodrama, it never quite jumped the shark and stayed a good film. Highly recommended.

Singin' In The Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952) -

I don't really need to explain this one, but whatever. I was under the impression that I'd never actually seen this film from start to finish (only getting shown most of it in class a couple of years back), so I decided that I needed to give it a proper viewing. Just as well - Singin' In The Rain is just plain old-fashioned musical fun, it never drags (although stopping the main film's plot for the "Broadway Melody" mini-movie towards the end feels like a conspicuous attempt to stretch the film out, in spite of the sequence's quality), but I'm not complaining. Kelly's awesome, although I doubt I'm alone in thinking that Donald O'Connor practically steals the show (or maybe they're both equally brilliant). The writing's also surprisingly clever and funny. Basically, this is about as entertaining as you could really hope for any movie to be.
My favorite musical. Period. Yeah, Kelly and O'Connor are both great, but I don't think Jean Hagen gets nearly enough credit for her hilarious turn as the villainess Lina Lamont. I'm glad you liked it; that rating should be just a tad higher, tho.

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (Richard Brooks, 1958) -

I hadn't planned on watching this, but I was flicking across channels and stopped on TCM just as it was starting. Needless to say, I stopped flicking for most of the movie and managed to watch. A fine little film with some great performances from Paul Newman and Burl Ives (to say nothing of Liz Taylor) and it was just a good adaptation of a great play.
Another great movie. If you liked this, you should also check out The Long, Hot Summer, released the same year.

Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968) -

It may be a horror film that burns so slow that it makes The Exorcist seem like The Evil Dead in comparison, but to say it doesn't inspire even the slightest unease would be lying. I have some issues with it (what little music there is really jars with the film) but for the most part it's very well-made, managing not to jump headlong into supernatural craziness, and well-acted by just about everybody in the film. The ending was certainly a surprise.
I agree with pretty much everything you said about this one; yeah, it's slow, but the suspense is incredible. And no, I didn't see the ending coming either.

Welcome to the human race...
Good call on Hagen. Definitely doesn't get enough credit for being a delightfully comic antagonist. And yeah, the rating should definitely be higher - thing is I've kind of developed a habit of giving ratings out of 4 to most movies I'm watching for the first time (got this idea from a different MoFo). Take that as you will - it's still an excellent film despite its admittedly minor flaws.

I've been naughty.
I've been neglecting my 'to watch' DVD pile in favour of roaming the post-apocalyptic wastes via the XBox in "Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition".
But a few days of constant pain in my arm (old you know....so damn old) has forced me to stop twiddling knobs and finally get around to watching a film....So I chose.................

"Rope" -

Two intellectually warped young men strangle a colleague, just before holding a party for the dead man's family and friends, and hide the body in a chest in the middle of the room.
Also on the guest list is their old University Professor with a sharp eye and a sharp brain....

Famously an exercise in technicality where the illusion that (almost) all a film was shot in one long take was tried out on Joe Public.
But it never really works.

Much of the 'Stage Play/One-Take' set-up serves no purpose either artistically or dramatically and often the hidden 'breaks' in this one-take illusion are glaringly and jarringly clumsy.
When Hitchcock's roaming camera first zooms in on a guy's back to hide the cut it works fine. But repeat it 2 or 3 times more and it becomes annoying and sticks out painfully, surely even for 40's audiences.
It seems Hitch was trying something for Joe Public who may have not seen the obvious, but any cineaste would.
And (although not the film's fault) time and technique has moved on and as such these trite little tricks simply don't fool a modern audience.
So, literally, all we are left with now are 4 or so pointless and clumsy zooms into a character's back.
This is made even more bizarre in the fact that, despite all this 'hiding' of the cuts, Hitchcock makes two other clear and open cuts during the film in two scenes (one cut to Stewart the other to the maid) which make you wonder why he wobbled into the backs of people's jackets to hide the others anyway!

The film also lacks that vital Homosexual aspect to make the storyline really take hold.
Hints (like when the maid says "they got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning") are dropped here and there that the two lead murderers (Farley Granger and John Dall, based on the real Leopold-Loeb murders) are indulging in one of those achingly pretentious romps through intellectual Homosexuality, but it's perhaps too subtle (must have been even more obscure for general Joe Public in 1948) and this is made worse by the fact that James Stewart, as their old university Professor, really should be Homosexual too and have this link with the killers.
But hey, it's James Stewart!
You could not have picked a more cleaner cut, family friendly, populist actor (utterly wonderful though he was) for such a role. As such that Homosexual link, and thus perhaps even a University affair, with the killers is simply not there.
Edges are being crucially blunted.

Interestingly, according to the DVD interview with the writer, the actual seeing of the murder in the opening seconds, was a later addition by Hitchcock.
The writer had it so we never see the murder so that we are never actually sure if there even has been a murder, let alone if a body is hidden in plain sight in the room.
This would have changed the dynamic of the film massively, but it would have again added another layer to the plot and make for a bigger reveal at the end.
What you would have lost though, without this certainty, is the wonderful black humour and crucial sadistic games that are played (both visual and verbal) with the fact that there is indeed a body whose 'coffin' is being used to serve food from (to the corpse's Father no less) and that the sly remarks about the dead character being late are indeed in the worst of taste.
Things that keep the rest of the film actually interesting and entertaining even if a crucial edge of tension is lost because of it.

As far as acting goes everyone does well with John Dall really standing out. Granger though (whose career would gleefully slide down hill into astonishingly exploitative Euro shockers like "So Sweet, So Dead" and full-on gore violence like "The Prowler") seems to push it all too much.
His character is simply too unwound and uncertain to have ever actually committed the murder. That his character is a coward as far as getting caught goes is just fine if it does not get highlighted too strongly, here though it is. He also often shows a really out of place moral repugnance to the crime...Self-serving cowardice yes, but morality from someone who planned and carried out a thrill-kill murder? it does not wash.

Stewart is as watchable as always, but he seems ot be strangley mugging for the camera during his early scenes. Sometimes literally so as there are at least two occasions where he nervously glancers at and off camera.

The screenplay also seems to want to have its cake and eat it.
The shockingly explicit, uber-fascist and chillingly cold-blooded, intellectual reasoning used by the murderers for committing the crime, and for indeed not seeing it as a crime, are a kind of (only 3 years after the War) Nazi wet dream rhetoric which must have been quite strong and brutally realistic at, and for, that time.
And that such thoughts have been put into (the admittedly damaged already) minds of the killers by their Professor, played of course by Stewart, opens up some very dark and deep waters indeed.
And let us not beat around the bush here, Stewarts' views are indeed twisted and explicit and phrases along the lines of 'intellectuals and superiors have every right to commit murder' and that how 'they are the only ones really suitable to murder another 'inferior' are clear and precise.
And this is James Stewart (WW2 hero as well as clean-cut actor) saying these things, and these things have indeed been the reasoning for an actual murder.
But then we have some shoe-horned in preaching from Stewart to clear his character of any true blame, when the film has him state that the killers have 'twisted' his words and that they took them to a level that was never meant to be (step right up the same excuse used today by any and all apologists for religious crimes).
And although Stewart does take the blame for expressing beliefs that he now sees could indeed have been twisted into this crime...the film simply ignores the basic fact that his teachings never needed any twisting at all, or that they were in any way obscure or open to any other interpretation (step right up again the same excuse used today by any and all apologists for religious crimes).
The screenplay makes Stewart explicit in his words, and thus explicit in his part on the murder, but then decides to change its mind.
But this part never stands up and just seems to be there (although it may have been in the script/original play already) because James stewart could not be seen as that malignant a character.

We have some positives though.
The famous 'outside in the city' set view from the apartment window is well done and is very clever as it literally goes from afternoon to night before our eyes as lights comes on and clouds move.
The support cast is great (nice work from, a rather old looking, Sir Cedric Hardwick as the victim's Father and Edith Evanson as the maid) and some of the interplay and especially the twisted humour is wonderful in that Hitchcock way with playing with the most macabre of events.
The whole chest with a body in it set-up is expertly used by Hitchcock, though again I think for more as a black joke than for really effective dramatic reasons because we know the body will not be found yet, no matter how many sequences of the chest nearly getting opened we have.
The pace is okay (though slowed by the one-take deal) and some nice atmosphere is built up in the apartment set as well as all these (damn fine to adequate) actors play around with the macabre set-up.

But the film still comes off as Hitch using other people's money to play around in his cinematic sandpit, and with much of the essential dramatic edges honed-down there is only the black humour and macabre trickery left to truly entertain us.

In the Beginning...

Tristan & Isolde (Reynolds, 2006)

Some might think I'm too kind, but this film did a lot of things right for me. The story of Tristan and Isolde, an age-old tale of the Romeo & Juliet variety, hits close to home (I was once involved with someone I can no longer have). While their interaction onscreen consists mainly of sad sentences and long glances, you get the sense that there is a rare and timeless affection at work here. Sophia Myles, who possesses the uncommon trait of seeming wise beyond her years, helps that along. And admittedly, James Franco has really grown on me: his Tristan is pleasantly low-key, confident, and yet deeply wounded.

I love that it's just on the cusp of having an Indie feel: camerawork that lolls on the film's rich, beautiful landscape of somber blues and grays, and a hauntingly quiet soundtrack that feigns innocence but knows much more. The ambience of the film is just intoxicating, if only it had been embraced more. Reynolds too often retreats to conventional shots and presentation, rather than letting his world really stretch its artistic legs.

The script itself could have been tighter, but it never supercedes the core story with overly romanticized exposition. The characters are allowed to breathe, and the camera is allowed to roam. That's good stuff.

Blood Diamond

Hounsou is given a particularly stereotypical and slight role ... yet he fills it up to brimming point. The confrontation with his own son ... is a rare moment where the dialogue is a match for his input.
for that. Hounsou is one of few men who exudes this sense that he such a stand-up guy that you can watch him play a villain and end up feeling sympathetic to the bad guy - and cheering him on. Maybe its just me.

I"Rope" -

Two intellectually warped young men strangle a colleague, just before holding a party for the dead man's family and friends, and hide the body in a chest in the middle of the room.
awesome film - one of my favs. great stuff.

Tristan & IsoldeAnd admittedly, James Franco has really grown on me: his Tristan is pleasantly low-key, confident, and yet deeply wounded.
on the choice, Sleeze! But dont you think that Rufus Sewell gave Franco a real run for his money? I mean, you start out with your heart breaking for Franco, and then Sewell comes in and trumps him in every way. If Franco is sterling silver, Sewell is the polish that makes it shine. The one you really feel for is the girl, because she's in an impossible situation - at least her acting shows it that way. Great movie, if a little sappy, and weird what with the nuns getting naked with Franco.

Far Cry - 4/5
I know, I know. Before you slay me for giving a UWE BOLL movie such high honors, know that I have never played the game before, so the movie didnt have any expectations to live up to. Add to the fact that it is nothing more than an action flick with lesser actors - and you have your basic action film. Lets not get bent out of shape - this movie is nothing more than it purports to be. All they needed to do was substitute Dolph Lundgren for the german guy who played the lead role, and it would have been comfortably B list. ... .... .... where it belonged!

In the Beginning...
on the choice, Sleeze! But dont you think that Rufus Sewell gave Franco a real run for his money? I mean, you start out with your heart breaking for Franco, and then Sewell comes in and trumps him in every way. If Franco is sterling silver, Sewell is the polish that makes it shine.
You're right, it was nice to see Sewell play someone other than an insufferable prick for a change. He really is a likeable guy, and in this I loved how his character created depth to keep the love triangle being so typical. Nobody is really the bad guy; it's just an unfortunate circumstance. That's far more realistic than we usually get from Hollywood.

Great movie, if a little sappy, and weird what with the nuns getting naked with Franco.
Hey, they had to keep him warm, right?

Originally Posted by mack
I have never played the game before, so the movie didnt have any expectations to live up to.
There was really nothing to live up to anyway. Far Cry is pretty much killing about bad guys, blowing stuff up, and not much else. It's an excuse for a shameless action game, and in that sense, I guess Uwe Boll hit the mark. (Although, it's not like anything he was adapted really had any substance in the source material anyway.)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I've been naughty.
I've been neglecting my 'to watch' DVD pile in favour of roaming the post-apocalyptic wastes via the XBox in "Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition".
But a few days of constant pain in my arm (old you know....so damn old) has forced me to stop twiddling knobs and finally get around to watching a film....So I chose.................

"Rope" -
Have you seen Swoon?

Have you seen Swoon?

No. Had to look it up even. Sounds interesting, especially the way it supposedly tackles the fact they got life not a death sentence because their Homosexuality meant they were insane!