Best Steve Martin Movie

Tools    

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
No. Not when they're remaking a classic and you can see how horrible Steve's accent and manner are in the trailer. There's no other Clouseau. Just ask Alan Arkin. He's another super-favorite actor of mine, yet he was just sad and flat and pathetic as Clouseau. No.
Alan Arkin? When did he ever play Clouseau? I think I missed that one. Still, I think you're severely underestimating Steve Martin's comedic ability. My personal opinion--this remake of The Pink Panther will be an instant classic.

But again, ENJOY?
Say what?

District B13
Originally Posted by darkhorse
Alan Arkin? When did he ever play Clouseau? I think I missed that one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063135/

Hmm... don't you think it would be a good idea to actually watch the movie before coming to a conclusion? Just a thought...
Maybe you should take your own advice.

Still, I think you're severely underestimating Steve Martin's comedic ability. My personal opinion--this remake of The Pink Panther will be an instant classic.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Maybe you should take your own advice.
Have I ever given an opinion on a movie without having watched it first? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Have I ever given an opinion on a movie without having watched it first? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know but you do have an opinion on the new Steve Martin one.

My personal opinion--this remake of The Pink Panther will be an instant classic.
Or have you seen it

I don't know but you did an opinion on the new Steve Martin one.

Or have you seen it

Too funny.......

I don't know but you did an opinion on the new Steve Martin one.

Or have you seen it
Oh, please!
Let me rephrase what I said: based on Steve Martin's past comedic performances I expect and believe that the Pink Panther will be an instant classic. Also based on the segments that I have seen so far with Steve Martin playing Inspector Clouseau--he's pretty funny, IMO. And considering that a role like Clouseau is a lot more funny in context, I believe that the movie will be hilarious.

rephrase as much as you like
Er... right!

Awww don't be like that, I still like you
Ooookay...

Put me in your pocket...
Sooooo....no ones looking forward to Cheaper by the Dozen 2? Sheesh~

I saw the trailer for Pink Panther also and cringed. I may still see it since my daughter is looking forward to it. I just hope Steve's not as bad as he was in Looney Tunes.

Thanks Mott and your welcome Nebbs.

Originally Posted by Aniko
I just hope Steve's not as bad [in The Pink Panther] as he was in Looney Tunes: Back in Action.
Actually, it looks exactly that bad. Just so embarassed for the guy. At least Shopgirl was released first. Now if the production of Picasso at the Lapin Agile would get off the ground, maybe that'll be ready in time to wash the stink of Cheaper by the Dozen 2 away.

Really, I don't begrudge anybody taking the occasional job for the money. But this means five out of his last six are these horrible, witless, "did it for the paycheck" piece of crap affairs. He's getting to be as bad as Robert DeNiro.

I wouldn't care if I didn't love him so much.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Actually, it looks exactly that bad.
Hardly... the humor is way more subtle. Like I said... wait until you see the movie before you come to a conclusion. You can't base a movie critique on a few segments taken out of context. Like I said, the humor in the Clouseau movies is all about context. Taken out of context, any given segment looks pretty deflated.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'll take back everything I said. But if Martin's hilarious performances in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and in his past SNL work are anything to go by, I think he just might recover lost comedic ground in The Pink Panther. I hope so anyway--I wouldn't be too happy with him if he blows this brilliant opportunity to resurrect the series!

Put me in your pocket...
Actually, it looks exactly that bad. Just so embarassed for the guy. At least Shopgirl was released first. Now if the production of Picasso at the Lapin Agile would get off the ground, maybe that'll be ready in time to wash the stink of Cheaper by the Dozen 2 away.
That's too bad. Maybe if I go into watch The Pink Panther preparing for the worse (and after a glass of wine), I won't be as embarassed to watch him...or the others. Is Kevin Kline slipping too?

Really, I don't begrudge anybody taking the occasional job for the money. But this means five out of his last six are these horrible, witless, "did it for the paycheck" piece of crap affairs. He's getting to be as bad as Robert DeNiro.

I wouldn't care if I didn't love him so much.
I love Steve too, so I know what you mean. Which reminds me, I saw your post in the "Quick Review" thread about All of Me. I still haven't seen it and will check it out.

Do you think Steve Martin and Robert DeNiro are making the crap movies for money or for another reason? I wondered if Steve was going through some type of mid-life crisis and maybe the silly roles make him feel....I dunno...maybe there is no other reason than money.

Holden, do you think Steve will ever try directing a movie?

Holden, do you think Steve will ever try directing a movie?
I doubt it. He obviously doesn't have the ambition for it. He's been a screenwriter since the beginning of his career in movies, yet he's never wanted to tackle the assignment of directing in all these years. Surely if he wanted to, he already would have done it, on Roxanne or L.A. Story or Simple Twist of Fate...one of those he would have helmed...had he the desire to do so. If he ever writes something he doesn't star in, maybe then he'll step behind the camera. But I kinda doubt it.

And you've never seen All of Me?!? How'd THAT happen? Oh my, Annie. Get out this very minute and get yourself a copy.

But if Martin's hilarious performances in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and in his past SNL work are anything to go by, I think he just might recover lost comedic ground in The Pink Panther.
Yes, it's true. I really shouldn't rush to judgement based on a lously trailer and the fact that he's trying to take over a character that nobody will ever be able to take over. No, I should rush to judgement based on his performance of a completely different kind of character in a movie from nearly twenty years ago. That does make more sense.

Thanks for setting me straight, Django.

"I believe everything and I believe nothing. I
suspect everyone and I suspect no one."

A system of cells interlinked
Put Edwina...back in bowl!!!

Sooooo....no ones looking forward to Cheaper by the Dozen 2? Sheesh~
ROFL...good one!

I' going to go with the three amigos!!

It seems that no one has mentioned "The Lonely Guy".
I think this is an hilarious Steve Martin film. The interactions with Martin and Charles Grodin are fantastic.
Most of the other movies (except "Cheaper By The Dozen") are great too, but I think "The Lonely Guy" has been overlooked.