Best Steve Martin Movie

Tools    

I think I've posted on this thread before but guess what, I just got back from drumline and I'm too tired to care. My favorite is Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Anonymous Last, your avatar s awesome. I love Calvin and Hobbes.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
I think I've posted on this thread before but guess what, I just got back from drumline and I'm too tired to care. My favorite is Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Anonymous Last, your avatar s awesome. I love Calvin and Hobbes.

Shanks! I love the Floyd...

The dentist in Little Shop Of Horrors was just an exceptional role for Martin. The scene with Bill Murray is GOLD!
I'm laughing my ass off just thinking about it -
"Itz tha prothessionalithm dat I wespect..."....I'm gonna watch this right now...cyaz..

I have to say that I saw Shopgirl and it is different for Martin - but one of his best films. I loved it.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by mott hamble
I have to say that I saw Shopgirl and it is different for Martin - but one of his best films. I loved it.
Fill us in on Shopgirl. How was it different for Martin? From the one article I read, it sounds touching.

Taking care of planet Earth
Ooh, a thread from the dead! Nice necro!

My favourite Steve Martin films are "The Jerk", "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Bowfinger." I've always thought of "Parenthood" as a bit of a guilty pleasure too, whenever it comes on the TV I find myself watching "just 5 minutes" and then before I know it the credits are on the screen.

**edit**

Now I think of it, Novocaine is a pretty good film from Steve Martin too.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Fill us in on Shopgirl. How was it different for Martin? From the one article I read, it sounds touching.
This is a serious and more in depth role for Martin. In some ways he can be seen as the "bad guy" - a far step from some of his past films. Overall he was great and I wouldn't be surprised if he got some awards for this movie.

The accusations fly
I haven't seen shopgirl yet but I liked Steve in Little Shop of Horror, Roxanne and The Three Amigos---

I'm totally a kid when it comes to movie choices sometimes

Lets put a smile on that block
Shopgirl was beautiful. For me it shoved Mr Martin up a few hundred notches on my respectometer. I read the first half of the novella in a proof copy several years ago before it was released and enjoyed it but never finished it for forgotten reasons. but now i would love to read it again. For me, this felt like Martins "Bill Murray" redemption. In this role i felt he stepped away from comedy and into a more serious role. And it really worked for him. The comedy is still present throughout the film but it is light and sweet instead of extreme and slapstick. The story's beauty rests on rays and Mirabelles relationship. She is searching for this love to come along and lift her out of her melancholly life and it does so in the form of Ray. Shwartzman's Jeremy is there for laughs at first, and to highlight the sweet and sour sides of a relationship, but he does good in the end. I just found myself smiling all the way through this. The beautiful score by Barrington Pheloung and amazing cinematography by Peter Suschitzky allows the movie to drift along in a saccharine state of wonder that you just can't help smiling about. Lovely shnuggle ruggle movie that has really put Steve Martin in a different league. I want more of this kind of stuff from him

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've followed Martin's career since he was doing standup at local colleges in the '70s. (Got to see him up close and personal and semi-meet him twice in those sorts of venues. Even got to give him an "OH NO! I'VE GOT HAPPY FEET!" T-shirt!)

I've liked most of what he's done, partly because I've loved the standup. But, some faves (the kind that you watch every time they come on) are The Jerk, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and, my personal fave, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. (Has anyone mentioned this one yet?) I also usually like Michael Caine, so this one's a keeper for me. And, of course, Little Shop of Horrors was perfect for him in terms of overkill.

I also tend to watch the more poignant Martin films: Father of the Bride, Parenthood. He pulls off the heartstrings stuff but doesn't overdo it. I haven't read or seen Shopgirl yet, but I plan to. I have several of his way-earlier comic books from the '70s -- the silly books of funny essays that make no sense. Kinda like the stuff Woody Allen used to write.

I enjoyed Shopgirl, very good adaptation of the novella. My review can be read in THIS thread. I wouldn't put it up there with my all-time favorites of his, but it's very good.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And for anyone who lives in the States, check your local listings and see if you can catch "The Kennedy Center Presents the 2005 Mark Twain Prize Celebrating Steve Martin" (click HERE for the PBS page about the event, and HERE for a brief history of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor). It premiered last night, but I only found it by accident as I was flipping around about ten minutes after it started.

It's a career achievement honor, so they do a retrospective with clips from his stand-up, "SNL", movies and everything else. Friends and collegues do the on-stage presentation, including Martin Short, Tom Hanks, Lily Tomlin, Eric Idle, Carl Reiner, Diane Keaton, Mike Nichols, Larry David and others. It was a pretty good show.

PBS tends to re-broadcast these things, so do check with your local listings.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
"The Kennedy Center Presents the 2005 Mark Twain Prize Celebrating Steve Martin"
I can't believe I missed it last night! Thanks for the heads up Holden. I'll have to check and see when PBS will re-broadcast's it.

The Washington Post also had a great article about Steve when he came here to The Kennedy Center for the awards. For anyone who's interested...A Happy Feat...The Washington Post

I've been going through Steve Martin's movies (as I mentioned about a year ago I think the last time I watched most of his comedies was when I was about 12). Roxanne is definitely my fave.

I'm looking forward to Steve Martin's take on The Pink Panther.

My favorite thus far, though, has got to be Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I've never laughed harder in a movie than in that one! Outrageously funny! Especially when Steve Martin plays for sympathy and acts like he's confined to a wheelchair. The melodrama in that performance is unbelievably funny! And, of course, who can forget Ruprecht?!!!

Originally Posted by darkhorse
My favorite thus far, though, has got to be Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I've never laughed harder in a movie than in that one! Outrageously funny! Especially when Steve Martin plays for sympathy and acts like he's confined to a wheelchair. The melodrama in that performance is unbelievably funny! And, of course, who can forget Ruprecht?!!!
I love Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.........Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Olkahoma

I'm looking forward to Steve Martin's take on The Pink Panther.
Really? I'm looking forward to every print in existence bursting into flames before a single screening. What a pile of cinematic *****. I am truly embarassed for Steve, Kevin Kline and Jean Reno. I hope they all got paid lots and lots of money, because I lost respect for each and every one of them when they signed on.

This is gonna be right up there with Mixed Nuts, Sgt. Bilko and Bringing Down the House as the very worst Steve Martin movies EVER. I'd rather see a My Blue Heaven 2 - and they couldn't pay me to sit through that.

But, hey....ENJOY?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Really? I'm looking forward to every print in existence bursting into flames before a single screening. What a pile of cinematic *****. I am truly embarassed for Steve, Kevin Kline and Jean Reno. I hope they all got paid lots and lots of money, because I lost respect for each and every one of them when they signed on.

This is gonna be right up there with Mixed Nuts, Sgt. Bilko and Bringing Down the House as the very worst Steve Martin movies EVER. I'd rather see a My Blue Heaven 2 - and they couldn't pay me to sit through that.

But, hey....ENJOY?
Hmm... don't you think it would be a good idea to actually watch the movie before coming to a conclusion? Just a thought...

Hmm... don't you think it would be a good idea to actually watch the movie before coming to a conclusion? Just a thought...
No. Not when they're remaking a classic and you can see how horrible Steve's accent and manner are in the trailer. There's no other Clouseau. Just ask Alan Arkin. He's another super-favorite actor of mine, yet he was just sad and flat and pathetic as Clouseau. No.

But again, ENJOY?