Reviews by Garrett

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Garrett
I can also definitely understand the disappointment in Bill's demise.
Well you sure didn't say the same to me on AOL you bloody wanker. Kidding. I mean I'm not lying, but I'm not really offended, well you get it.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Well you sure didn't say the same to me on AOL you bloody wanker. Kidding. I mean I'm not lying, but I'm not really offended, well you get it.
You misunderstand, my friend. I can understand why someone would be dissappointed, it's just that I wasn't.

You misunderstand, my friend. I can understand why someone would be dissappointed, it's just that I wasn't.

aHAAAAAAA! I see. Well, time to go eat pie.

Thank you for understanding, and we all are entitled to our own opinions and I completely understand that. Thanks for the welcome as well, that was a nice touch....

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Natural Born Killers
Directed by: Oliver Stone
Written by: David Veloz
Starring: Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Tom Sizemore, Robert Downey Jr.,more
A nod to Tarantino for the story

When I started watching this movie, halfway through the opening credits, I started thinking to myself, "I probably shouldn't have wasted 2 dollars on renting this." Boy, was I wrong. This movie is everything but a waste. It is just so clever, witty, and whimsical (in a rather disturbing way).

Natural Born Killers follows the story of Mickey (Harrelson) and Mallory (Lewis) Knox. Basically they go around murdering masses of innocent (with the exception of a few) people. They are highly romanticized around the world due to the corrupt, ratings-obsessed media.

Almost every character in this movie is unforgettable. Tom Sizemore plays the egomaniacal detective, Jack Scagnetti, who's determined to catch Mickey and Mallory. Robert Downey Jr. is the host of an "America's Most Wanted"-type show who's determined to make a name for himself. Every character in this film has basically the same goal... fame.

The film is shot in a wide variety of film formats, there are weird camera angles, and some bad/strange editing. All of this makes the film a little disjointed and confusing but, by the end of the film you probably won't care because of the fun you just had. Oliver Stone's craziness works both for and against him in this film.

This movie is undoubtedly a social/media satire. This is done brilliantly and you almost instantly understand what the director has set out to do with it.

It also sparked much controversy back around the time when it was released. It certainly isn't a suprise. Some people even blame this film for causing violence among teenagers... If your child is that unstable you probably shouldn't let them watch this movie. Some people go as far as calling the film "dangerous"... What kind of idiot describes a film as "dangerous"? That's about as intelligent as saying your refrigerator made you fat.

I can't really "reccomend" this film to a certain group of people because the only way to figure out if you'll like it, is to watch it.... well I can say this film isn't for anal idiots who can't see a film for what it is... a FILM. I loved this film and there's a chance you might like it too (as long as you aren't the aforementioned idiot).

Coming soon to "Reviews by Garrett"
"Le Pacte Des Loups" (Brotherhood of the Wolf)
Takashi Miike's "Audition"

Nice work, Garrett. I'm eagerly awaiting your Audition review and your opinion on Brotherhood of the Wolf.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

You gotta get online and fix the image on that before I can put it on the site, yknow.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by mothish
You gotta get online and fix the image on that before I can put it on the site, yknow.
What's your avatar? Is it from a movie? Is it some person? I'd like to know, I like it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
[Natural Born Killers
I love the way Mallory's family is portrayed as a dysfunctional sit-com. It's like "Married with Children" gone bad.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Originally Posted by Mark
I love the way Mallory's family is portrayed as a dysfunctional sit-com. It's like "Married with Children" gone bad.
Yeah, that was one of the best things about the movie.... I can't believe I forgot it in the review

Natural Born Killers
Thanks for a great review, I will watch it soon, Gosh I hope I don't turn out to be aforemententioned idiots

Great reviews Garrett, I didn't notice this thread before for some reason. There's so many reviewers nowadays that it's hard to keep track and stay current. Have you seen Kalifornia?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Great reviews Garrett, I didn't notice this thread before for some reason. There's so many reviewers nowadays that it's hard to keep track and stay current. Have you seen Kalifornia?
Thanks a lot, Slay! Coincedentally, I have been considering renting Kalifornia after I heard it had a similar plot to NBK. What are your thoughts on it?

[i]
Natural Born Killers

This movie is undoubtedly a social/media satire. This is done brilliantly

. I loved this film and there's a chance you might like it too (as long as you aren't the aforementioned idiot).
I finally watch this today, the first copy I borrowed from the video shop was so scratched it wouldn't work, so inspired by your great review I went and got it replaced.

I have avoided watching this movie until I read your review, I loved this film.

Robert Downey jr's Aussie accent was so spot on.

Thanks again for an inspiring review, as I may have never watched it and i would have missed a great movie.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I watched this movie a couple years ago and I love it. And did you notice that in two films by Quentin Tarantino the "bad guy" has a last name of Scagnetti? ANYway, I think my favorite character in the movie is Robert Downy Jr.'s

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
KILL BILL VOL. 2
I watched this the other night, and I'm sorry to say I was disappointed. However, I was disappointed when I walked out of Kill Bill V. I, as well, but I rented it the other night, and I loved it the second time around.

Vol. 2 certainly had it's moments, but for me, the amount of action was missing, and the dialogue in its place was nothing like Res. Dogs, Pulp Fiction, or Jackie Brown.

"The Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei" is one of the most memorable moments in the film. Tarantino has managed to make it all work out yet again. The furry eyebrows and long beard of Pai Mei just add to his character. For a 100+ year old man he still retains an excellent sense of humor as his villainous laugh will tell you.
This is, by far, my favorite part of the film. This entire sequence has gotten me interested in the Kung Fu genre.

Good review, Garrett, but I wished I would have liked it as much as you.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I watched this movie a couple years ago and I love it. And did you notice that in two films by Quentin Tarantino the "bad guy" has a last name of Scagnetti? ANYway, I think my favorite character in the movie is Robert Downy Jr.'s
Tarantino does this often it seems. The Vega brothers (Vince and Vic) are another example..

_S

It was a boring conversation anyway
[quote=Garrett
I can't really "reccomend" this film to a certain group of people because the only way to figure out if you'll like it, is to watch it.... well I can say this film isn't for anal idiots who can't see a film for what it is... a FILM. I loved this film and there's a chance you might like it too (as long as you aren't the aforementioned idiot).QUOTE]

Garrett, may I remind you I am one of those idiots...