Sean's Film Diary 2018

→ in
Tools    

Can i ask which films you are talking about here?
Virigin Suicides is the most obvious but I was thinking it even reflects things like This Boy's Life or Precious. Obviously not saying beat for beat, just hits the same notes. Just any repressed child coming of age story. Not that that is a bad thing, in fact I enjoy all those films in different ways. Just feels familiar. Make sense?

Virigin Suicides is the most obvious but I was thinking it even reflects things like This Boy's Life or Precious. Obviously not saying beat for beat, just hits the same notes. Just any repressed child coming of age story. Not that that is a bad thing, in fact I enjoy all those films in different ways. Just feels familiar. Make sense?
Sure. It pretty much is a less dreamlike Virgin Suicides, i prefer it. Get it not feeling like anything special though.

Two more

The Disaster Artist
James Franco 2017

I can see why a lot of people didn't dig this but I think it is a fun companion to The Room and something I could see myself returning to from time to time.

Marjorie Prime
Michael Almereyda 2017

This is the kind of film I like on a lazy afternoon. Just kind of nice and relaxing to sit with the rhythm of it. Not going to stick with me much but no real complaints either.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
LA 92
Daniel Lindsay, T.J. Martin 2017

Best doc I have seen in a very long time. All footage and editing, absolutely no talking heads. Masterfully done. Two of my favorite docs ever by these two fellas. Must watch for fans of the medium.

One vote away from making it into the Mofo Film Awards.

Suspect's Reviews

Call Me By Your Name
Luca Guadagnino 2017

Very good film that loses me a bit when the set-up of the romance is over, but recovers again nicely in the last couple scenes. I think the theme of vulnerability that flows throughout the story is what resonated with me the most. It is punctuated nicely by Stuhlbarg's speech at the end of the film.

Chalamet's story arc is pretty great and he is as good as advertised as Elio. Hammer has a magnetism that is essential for the character of Oliver and he delivers.I wasn't quite as enamored with the cinematography as everyone else seems to be but it certainly wasn't bad. Very good music. I actually would have liked to see Guadagnino linger with Elio's piano playing a bit more. I quite like those scenes but they always felt over too quickly.

In fact I would say the pace of the film is probably what surprised me the most. I expected a very leisurely paced film and it really wasn't, it was quite propulsive. Despite my desire for more of the piano scenes, overall I would say I was glad the pace was a bit steadier than I expected.

Propulsive is such a weird word. Think you're the first person i've seen use it outside books.

Glad you liked it. You should probably check more of Sufjan out if you liked the music, he has made more upbeat and frequently listenable stuff.

I, Tonya
Craig Gillespie 2017

Very entertaining film and one I can see myself going back to from time to time. I think the main point of contention for me, and what keeps it from being elevated, is I just didn't find it very funny. With the way Gillespie chose to tell the story I really think it will ultimately be most successful with those that mine more humor our of it than I did. That very well could change for me on repeat viewings as it puts me in mind of other films I didn't find really humorous on first watch but did on subsequent viewings and they became favorites.

I liked that when I saw it, but even though I am usually open to rewatching anything even after having just seen it, I have no desire to return to that one right now.

La Pointe Courte
Agnes Varda 1955

5 star film visually. I love the look of the fishing town and the way the way Varda moves the camera. There are a couple of times when we have a point of view simply moving down roads. The camera moves steadily and swirls. It is beautiful to look at, and I love every minute of it. I also love the dialogue between the married couple. It very much reminds me of Bergman, so appeals to my cinematic senses.

That story ultimately doesn't feel complete though and overall the acting in this film is pretty sub-par. I also found the score and use of it to be pretty grating. Overall a pretty uneven experience but Varda has become yet another director that I will definitely need to see everything she has done.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
What is with all this Varda watching around here? (I know, Women director countdown).

These things just don't seem like my thing.

What is with all this Varda watching around here? (I know, Women director countdown).

These things just don't seem like my thing.
I think you will like her actually. Tons of her stuff on Filmstruck. Yeah, women's countdown is why I have watched so many lately. She's pretty great.

Don't have access to Filmstruck anymore
Bummer. I think it is the one streaming service I wouldn't get rid of now. My kids use Netflix a lot so I will have that for the foreseeable future but if I had to choose one, Filmstruck.

I feel like I've seen everything I can see about the LA riots. Does that doc break any new ground?
No, I don't think so but I also don't think you have seen the footage edited together like this. There are some extended sequences that struck me as feeling fresh as well. Like the truck driver pulled out of his truck and beaten, I don't think I ever saw the amount of footage they had for that before. It's stark and extremely upsetting.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
LA 92 is streaming on Netflix. It's great and I watched it all live on the TV at the time. Brought back lots of other memories of the times.