The Corn Is Green
Up the Down Staircase
The Blackboard Jungle
To Sir, With Love
If ....
Tom Brown's Schooldays
('51)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I just saw "Torment" (Hets) by Alf Sjoberg... Good movie, 40s style Swedish school. I'm going to do some more reading after reading how fast things changed.

The Corn Is Green
Torment
I love these movies more as compared to other educational movies. because the way to represent the things is very nice and the concepts of the movie are also amazing.

Very educational! Do you have a review of this anywhere? Besides the father's intent, I didn't understand the mother telling her husband she was pregnant...

Very educational! Do you have a review of this anywhere? Besides the father's intent, I didn't understand the mother telling her husband she was pregnant...
I don't think that I've seen it in maybe 5 years. I don't even remember her character being pregnant. SlantMagazine has a couple of good reviews up for it, though they usually focus on bigger, thematic stuff more than plot points.

I don't think that I've seen it in maybe 5 years. I don't even remember her character being pregnant. SlantMagazine has a couple of good reviews up for it, though they usually focus on bigger, thematic stuff more than plot points.
It's odd, because she tells her husband in private.. But then when they see the children, they embellish the story, saying they could have twins, or triplets, a dog -- it all depended on their behavior.

Freedom Writers (2007) - this is one of my favorite movie on education. While watching this movie I realized education can change the world. Based on the true story of Erin Gruwell, a young teacher that inspires her class of at-risk students to learn tolerance, apply themselves, and pursue education beyond high school.

From wikipedia:
"It is based on the book The Freedom Writers Diary by teacher Erin Gruwell and students who compiled the book out of real diary entries about their lives that they wrote in their English class at Woodrow Wilson Classical High School in Long Beach, California. The movie is also based on the DC program called City at Peace. The title of the movie and book is a play on the term "Freedom Riders", referring to the multiracial civil rights activists who tested the U.S. Supreme Court decision ordering the desegregation of interstate buses in 1961.The idea for the film came from journalist Tracey Durning, who made a documentary about Erin Gruwell for the ABC News program Primetime Live. Durning served as co-executive producer of the film. The film was dedicated to the memory of Armand Jones, who was killed after wrapping up Freedom Writers. He was 18 and was shot to death in Anaheim, California after a confrontation with a man who robbed Jones of a necklace in a Denny's restaurant."

I mean the whole film is obviously playing somewhat on absurdism rather than realism but the father is meant to be a controlling religious cult like figure who is keeping his children under control by totally controlling their world view(which the pregnancy seems to be part of) and not allowing them to develop emotionally. Most would say its a satire on religious conservatism generally.

If you have a taste for that kind of thing maybe try Love Exposure by Sion Sono.

I mean the whole film is obviously playing somewhat on absurdism rather than realism but the father is meant to be a controlling religious cult like figure who is keeping his children under control by totally controlling their world view(which the pregnancy seems to be part of) and not allowing them to develop emotionally. Most would say its a satire on religious conservatism generally.

If you have a taste for that kind of thing maybe try Love Exposure by Sion Sono.

I realize that, but for a second, the audience almost thinks "The dad doesn't know, either?"

I'll look into that movie, thank you.. You might like "The Castle of Purity" which is more "realistic" but very similar.

P.S. - I actually had that movie before, but when it was 4 hours, I delayed it until I had to remove it to make space.

Based on the truth.. and lies.

Pretty good movie, fingers get cut off, sometimes that's the only way people will learn.

Ps. I also like dogtooth

Child Bride - 1938

For the time period....

The film was promoted as educational and as an attempt to draw attention to the lack of laws banning child marriage in many states.

I've been teaching for 30 years, and the only one that really comes close to reality is fast times at ridgemont high. Mr. Hand is a teacher's teacher.

The rest of the teacher movies are just fluffy nonsense that bear no resemblance to a real classroom, real students, and real teachers. Everybody here has spent years sitting in a classroom watching that clock and wondering if it's broken, but how many have had a professor Keating telling us to stand on our desks and rip out the introduction to our textbooks?