Any tennis fans out there?

Tools    

I said "perceived" to give him the benefit of the doubt – that's just how he's appeared to me over the years.
I understand that - but "benefit of the doubt" what does that mean? People jokingly poke at Murray's country, he responds in similar fashion and somehow he's "perceived" as anything other than having a bit of banter? Nonsense. How else has he appeared anti-English?

I understand that - but "benefit of the doubt" what does that mean? People jokingly poke at Murray's country, he responds in similar fashion and somehow he's "perceived" as anything other than having a bit of banter? Nonsense. How else has he appeared anti-English?
It means combining that with what I described as the somewhat joyless and dour look he has most of the time and the tendency to be irritable on court, throwing his rackets about etc. That's my limited awareness of him – largely negative.

Perhaps it's like Kenny Dalglish where he was famously uncomfortable with the press and wasn't really himself when engaged by them. It was funny in the World Cup when they did that advert with a couple of old England managers (I forget who they were) sitting down to watch the England/USA match as if in an old folks home. Then Dalglish comes in chanting "USA USA USA!" and waving a scarf.

By being Scottish.

Big to Andy Murray for winning Wimbledon again. He obviously isn't quite at the level of Djokivic, Nadal or Federer but he is still a great player and fully deserved the win. Also unlucky to Raonic no doubt he'll win a slam in the next few years.

This has the video of when he just won it -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/36758518

Sad that Raonić didn't win, but congratulations to Murray. I hope Raonić continues to improve and continues to go deep in Grand Slam's.

Sad that Raonić didn't win, but congratulations to Murray. I hope Raonić continues to improve and continues to go deep in Grand Slam's.
Nadal is finished. Federer isn't far off despite his good performances in Wimbledon every year. Murray and Djokovic both still have a few years left. Raonic will definitely win a few IMO barring injury or whatever.

He is getting a bit old to get up there in the most grand slam wins, but he has had to deal with the best generation of Men's Tennis ever. Of the generation after the big four had all won one at least, the three most mentioned have been Raonic, Nishikori and Dmitrov. Dmitrov has did nothing since a lot of early promise. Nishikori is still playing well but Raonic is clearly the most consistent of them. I'd actually say he is the most consistent other than Djokovic, Murray, Federer and Wawrinka. Wouldn't even include Nadal there anymore. So yeah i'd be surpised if he didn't win his first next year.

I'm a huge fan of Novak Djokovic

Isn't US open starting tomorrow? Fed's a nice guy, and deserves the greatest ever, he's an exceptional talent. My only problem he seems to take defeat very hard. Even as a kid. Obsessed with this greatest bs, speaking of which, I can't believe no one mentionad the great Laver. Won the Grand slam twice, and he didn't even play for many years. He'd have like 30 slams maybe.

McEnroe's always been the fave, but no one excites and fires me up like Pete. Can't believe people say he's boring. What should he do? He's there to play tennis, not to be a comedian or a clown like andre. But to watch him play...electrifying at times.

The only ATP match between Sampras and Federer. Fantastic and worth watching.

Laver was one of the best but he played during a weird era so it's tough to tell how good he was. As you said he missed a good few years but some of his slam wins were in ones that the best players didn't play in for various reasons, like not wanting to spend the money to travel to Australia or whatever, same with Margaret Court. No doubt one of the best though.

Nadal is still my favourite male player and like Sampras he's seen as boring by alot but i love him. Also personally preferred Agassi to Sampras. Favourite female player and overall player is Justine Henin. Dominic Thiem is my favourite active player not counting Nadal, not really sure about active female players probably Muguruza or Safarova. Azarenka was for a while but she's not the same anymore.

Federer is of course the best and he's one of the most likeable sportsmen ever, also he probably speaks the best english of any foreign sportsman i know.

Got a feeling Murray is going to win the US Open for some reason. Would want Nadal to of course, if not i'd like a new grand slam winner. No idea about the woman's, it always feels wide open when Serena is not playing; actually she's the best ever, not a fan and it's impossible to compare the woman and mans game but if i had to i'd pick Serena over Fed.

Got a feeling Murray is going to win the US Open for some reason. Would want Nadal to of course, if not i'd like a new grand slam winner. No idea about the woman's, it always feels wide open when Serena is not playing; actually she's the best ever, not a fan and it's impossible to compare the woman and mans game but if i had to i'd pick Serena over Fed.
Murray dropped out due to a hip injury.

How does anyone feel about Pistol Pete? Or JohnnyMac?
McEnroe is my favourite 70s/80s player. I like him better than Bjorg, Connors, Willander, Lendl, etc. Pete was great, i don't agree that he was boring he was just alot more methodical than Aggassi; that's why he was the better player but it's understandable that more prefer watching the wild and unpredictable Aggassi.

The bottom half of the mens draw is weird as hell because of all the big name injuries, one of those will be in the final. Cilic will obviously be favourite from that side since he's won before, Alexander Zverev is the highest ranked player who could meet him in the semi's. It's odd that Murray kept his #2 seed even though he pulled out before it started, you'd think everyone would have moved up and Fed would be in the bottom half of the draw with Nadal in the top. I'm fine with it anyway, should be something different.

Biggest things in the ladies draw so far is Konta and Halep out. Haleps isn't that weird since it was against Sharapova who is a wild card for this.

Can't believe Kerber is out in the first round. No female player can be consistent enough to become the 'next big thing' right now, still feels like it's Serena's when she comes back. Guess it will be someone in the younger generation, Konjuh and younger probably. She lost to Naomi Osaka who is 19 so she may be a future 'big'.

She lost to Naomi Osaka who is 19 so she may be a future 'big'.
Interesting you use the adjective "big". New York Times Magazine was all about tennis last week. Tennis players these days, apparently, are all big & tall. IIRC, I think they said the majority of male players are all at least 6' in height. And the women too are getting taller & taller.

Interesting you use the adjective "big". New York Times Magazine was all about tennis last week. Tennis players these days, apparently, are all big & tall. IIRC, I think they said the majority of male players are all at least 6' in height. And the women too are getting taller & taller.
It's something i see used alot in Tennis Forums and stuff so i've just gotten used to it. Like The Big Four: Federer, Murray, Nadal and Djokovic.

I know that wasn't what you were talking about, just explaining that it's pretty common in tennis discussions.