Hollywood

Tools    

Get off my island
Olivia Williams says that if you are contemptuous of Hollywood, you're contemptuous of film-making as an art form. Would you agree with this?

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Of course not! Who is Olivia Williams?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Olivia seems to be under the impression that she knows all the motivations, and sentiments of each individual forming humankind.
Kong doubts that she actually has this knowledge.

But really, she is probably just trying to say that many people want to be actors for the wealth and fame, and aren't really interested in the art of it. Kong has meet many people who've said they wanted to act, and most of them appear to be like this.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Kong
But really, she is probably just trying to say that many people want to be actors for the wealth and fame, and aren't really interested in the art of it. Kong has meet many people who've said they wanted to act, and most of them appear to be like this.
Hmmm... That's not how I read it. I thought she meant that if you don't appreciate the major bulk of Hollywood films, then you don't know how to appreciate film as an art form - period. But I don't even know who the lady is....

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by Piddzilla

Hmmm... That's not how I read it. I thought she meant that if you don't appreciate the major bulk of Hollywood films, then you don't know how to appreciate film as an art form - period. But I don't even know who the lady is....
Nevermind, Kong read the quote wrong. Kong thought it said, "If you are contemplating Hollywood..." (as in thinking of going there to start a career rather than starting in the theater or in indies). Now Kong isn't at all sure of what she meant.

Olivia Williams was the teacher that Max had a crush on in Rushmore.

Perhaps she's advocating filmmaking, even of the Adam Sandler variety, to art. If so, I'm not sure what to say to that, as I think there is some truth in it, despite poor phrasing. I do not like the school of thought which dismisses a good, fun movie as lacking skill or artistic value because it's anything less than dramatic Oscar fare. Making movies which appeal to a wide variety of people is not an easy thing to do, and I do not think we should hold contempt for people who are able to do so.

Furthermore, I imagine it's a tad difficult to appreciate cinema in any way without appreciating a good deal of what comes out of Hollywood, on account of sheer volume alone.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally posted by Piddzilla
Who is Olivia Williams?
Olivia Williams played Anna Crowe in The Sixth Sense (1999) and Jane Fairfax in the mini-series version of Emma (1997). I loved her in Emma much more than the actress that played the same part in the movie. I'd like to see her in more movie's...she's lovely.

YoUr FrIeNd &TrUsTeD aDvIsOr
well. come on disliking Hollywood and enjoying mainstream film are like politics there are liberals and conservitives you like the basic aspect of the idea but hate portions of the people involved. and what they stand for. its the same in hollywood. I really could care less for a lot of the actors as I'm sur ethey could care less for the work they do.