In the 10 Ring: Gunslinger45's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I thought I had replied to your It Follows review, but maybe not. But as I've mentioned many places elsewhere, I'm extremely jealus of those who have seen it already, looks like the type of horror film that I would really enjoy.

I can't comment much on your other recent reviews. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 looks worse than anticipated and I doubt I'll ever watch it. I've yet to see a Kevin Smith film, and I have no idea how much I'd like him, but it's always great to read your enthusiastic and personal reviews, I know you love his films and as I and many others have said here before, it definitely reflects in your writing.

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Hello MoFo’s! It is time once again for another installment of At the Theater with The Gunslinger45! And what a night for me! Easy to guess what movie I rushed out to see after work! THE NEW AVENGERS MOVIE! And as many of you know it was my most anticipated movie of the year (though the new Star Wars movie is a very close second). And shock to no one I am a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hell the first Avengers movie is one of my top 15 favorite movies of all time. Of course I was looking forward to this! But I admit I also had a few concerns. For starters I did not want to over hype this film. So I went in with the expectation that it would not be as good as the first. If it topped the first, great, otherwise I did not want to be disappointed. Also, the first Avengers movie was the ultimate culmination of 5 previous films. Each introducing characters, establishing the shared universe, and ultimately setting up for The Avengers movie. AND IT WAS GLORIOUS! This time however it is not the case. Now yes this film is essentially the end of Marvel Phase II, however this is not the ultimate payoff like the first movie was. That final fight was announced in during the reveal of the Marvel Phase III titles. There it was revealed that these movies would ultimately lead to a two part movie event called Infinity War, where Thanos (introduced in the teaser scene at the end of The Avengers) will be the villain. So one concern was will this just be a stepping stone to Marvel Phase III? Another concern was the introduction of a lot of new characters. Many casting moves were announced before the movie’s release. Now the announcement for the casting of Ultron was a given (his name is in the freaking title) but there were a lot of other villains announced. The press releases also said that the film would include Hydra villain Baron Von Strucker and Black Panther villain Ulysses Klaue. And while I knew they would change their stripes, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff (AKA Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver) were built up to be villains under Hydra’s thumb. Naturally I thought this film would suffer from a fault that plagued Spider-Man 3 and most recently Amazing Spider-Man 2. That there would be too many villains, they would be underdeveloped, rushed, and that would make the movie suffer. Those were my two big concerns. Did these concerns have merit or no? A little from column A and a little from column B. But did it hurt the movie for me? To quote the Mighty Thor, I SAY THEE NAY! This movie was still awesome! Want to know more? Then fire up the Quinjet, grab your vibranium shield, bow, armor and Mjolnir, and let’s charge right in to The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Just like the last movie we open on a BIG action scene. Only now since the Avengers have been already assembled (had to say it) they get right into the action. We see Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, and Black Widow charging Hydra headquarters in the fictional nation of Sokovia. Only now our heroes are aided by a new invention of Stark’s, the Iron Legion. Robots made to mimic his suit’s look in order to help direct people away from collateral damage. Our hero’s naturally make quick work of Hydra, recover the scepter Loki used in the first movie, download all of Hydra’s data, and then return back to base. While back home Stark scans the stone in the head of the scepter and makes a startling discovery of a new and immense power. One he wishes to power a new AI system. With this new data Tony and Dr Banner toil to try and create an idea they have been working on, a project called Ultron. Ultron would be a series of automated suits like the Iron Legion. But with this new and far more advanced AI, Ultron would be programmed to bring peace to the world. Thus reducing the need for the Avengers as well as creating a new force to combat intergalactic threats like they had in New York City. So Tony and Banner toil for three days trying to harness the power of the scepter. After many failures they decide to take a break to attend a party with the rest of their teammates. Unfortunately while at the party the new AI begins to function. Confused about what it is, Jarvis (Tony's AI Butler) informs the fledgling AI of its purpose. And in the short time it takes to download the required data the AI takes a homicidal turn with a simple conclusion. In order to bring about true peace, humanity must be annihilated. The rest of the film is the Avengers desperately trying to combat Ultron and to save the world.

Now I feel I must say this again, I LOVED THIS MOVIE! But a few of my concerns did happen to a degree. I will go over these faults first before ending on a fan body gush fest. First off we have the villain issue. This did happen, so to speak. Ultron is the main villain and is aided by the Maximoff twins. They have the most time featured in the trailers and the most screen time. As for the other two I think they did a perfect job with Klaue. He got enough screen time to establish his character, his motivations, and establish his future role to play in Phase III. Baron Von Strucker on the other hand, got the shaft hard. He was to this movie what Rhino was in Amazing Spider Man 2; a footnote. Von Strucker is barely talked about outside of a mid credit cut scene in Captain America: Winter Soldier. Now he was built up quite a bit in the recent season of ABC’s Agent’s of SHIELD. But unless you watched that show, you would have little idea who the hell this guy was. And to boot he has VERY little significance to the movie despite all the buildup. I think he must have had a bigger part to play when Captain America 3 was supposed to be called Serpent Society, but since they have decided to go the Civil War route, I think his character became a loose end to be cut. As for whether the villains are rushed, I felt that was not the really the case. Now Ultron does go from infant AI to Skynet in a few minutes. But given what he learns of his purpose and what he learns about humanity that is a reflection of his abilities to process data as an artificial intelligence rather than poor writing. Ultron in other words was not given the Electro treatment in Amazing Spider Man 2. As for my other concern, yes this movie does heavily set up the third phase of the MCU. Thor’s Ragnarok plot line got hinted at and he introduced the concept of the Infinity Stones to the Earth bound heroes, Black Panther’s home of Wakanda got mentioned, and Pietro and Wanda continued what Agents of SHIELD has been doing in slowly introducing the enhanced humans which will lead to the Inhumans movie. And while to many people that will be a bad thing, to us fanboys it does give us a taste of things to come. And while that does occasionally feel like they are cramming a lot of info in the film (and they are) it does not hurt the film that much. Those Phase III set ups, while numerous, do not detract from the main villain. In fact most of the set ups actually fit in pretty damn well.

But enough of the bad, ON WITH THE FANBOY SQUEEING! While Von Strucker was undeveloped and a big letdown, Ultron was damn near perfect! The design, the casting of James Spader, his motivation, and his monologues were brilliant! Now I can’t say Ultron was perfect since they did change a significant amount of his back story from the comics. But that is completely understandable. I mean you would have to introduce Hank Pym (and probably Janet Van Dyne), Wonder Man, and the fact that it was not until Ultron-5 (there are a crap ton in the comics) that we get the Vision story line. So instead they make it a brain child of Stark and Dr Bruce Banner. So the MCU and Joss Whedon gave us the best of all possible worlds really. Now he does not supersede Loki as the best Marvel villain, but they did make Ultron one of the better MCU villains. And to be fair it is hard to top Tom Hiddleston. In addition it was very cool to see Wanda and Pietro Maximoff finally on the big screen after all the teasing from end of credit trailers and name drops in Agents of SHIELD. I thought the introduction of these characters was done very well. Their origin’s, however, had to be revised from the comics since we can’t have them be Magneto’s kids and mutants because of conflicts with the 20th Century Fox X-Men movies. And Wanda especially plays a big role, as her psychic and telepathic powers play a big role in the plot. She taps into the minds of most of the Avengers and gives them visions of fears and sometimes past traumas; leading to infighting within the team and presents a few obstacles to overcome. And yes we do finally get Paul Bettany as the Vision. But I will try not to talk TOO much about him, lest spoilers be told. I will say this though, how he proves his noble intentions as opposed to his homicidal brother, actually made my jaw drop to the floor!

Again… this movie was AWESOME! This is exactly what I want out of a summer blockbuster! BIG spectacles, BIG action, BIG explosions, BIG stakes, and BIG fun! But the film is more than just a CGI wank fest. I mean it is, but it is SO much more then that since the old characters get to develop beyond what they were established as in the previous films. We also get to peek inside the heads of most of the Avengers in this film thanks to Wanda Maximoff’s uses her powers. Many of these visions build off of past character development (like with Captain America) to the discovery of shocking new secrets of others (like Black Widow). And while Black Widow arguably gets the most character development in the movie, probably the most out of the blue comes from Hawkeye. The Avenger who had been the least interesting character gets to be more than just the guy with the bow in this movie. Not so much in huge character development, but we do see a lot more about his secretive life as well as his relationship with Black Widow. Speaking of Natasha (and relationships) it seems she has developed feelings for one of her teammates. And in the course of the film develops a bit more intimacy with said character. Again… spoilers. And as advertised in certain trailers, Stark and Rogers continue to have issues (setting up Civil War no doubt).

And as always the respective Avengers actor deliver on their performances. Each character is still as fun as the last film. Robert Downy Jr is still as charming as ever as Stark, Chris Evans is still the perfect Captain America, Scarlet Johansson has Black Widow still remain the same hard ass (but has let the character grow), Chris Hemsworth’s Thor is still hardy and larger than life, Jeremy Renner still portrays Hawkeye as the team's sure shot (though with more wise cracks), Dr Banner is still played the best by Mark Ruffalo, and Hulk still smash. And as I said James Spader was the perfect casting for Ultron. The action sequences were still as big as the first film. At least for the most part. The film opened on a great action hook, with the destruction of the Hydra base. And oh yeah, the fight with the Hulk versus Stark in his Hulk Buster armor was friggen epic! And while I still enjoyed the final fight in this movie, it still was not as big as the fight in New York City for the first movie. But while The first movie tended to stay in New York for the most part, there was a lot more global travel in this movie. Sets and fights were in Eastern Europe, then New York, then a trip to South Africa, back to the States, then Seoul South Korea, then back to Eastern Europe for the final fight. As opposed to the last movie which was mostly set in New York City. Joss Whedon does still include his trademark Whedonism’s into the film for quick comedic breaks. And again it is perfectly balanced. Not too dark and serious, but he does not over do it on the laughs either. Stan “The Man” Lee makes another cameo appearance fairly early on so keep an eye out there. And as per usual, stay during the credits. There was not anything for the end credits, but the mid credit sequence offers some foreshadowing for future events.

All and all this was a great time at the theater. Now the first Avengers movie is still my favorite and that film still was the best theatrical experience I ever had. But that was because that film was perfectly executed following the build up of the five previous films. And at that time, a film like this had never been done, making the success of the movie all the more special. I will not detract from this film, but while this was still great, ultimately the first is better since it was ultimately the final pay off. Maybe it will be out done by Infinity War, I do not know. We will have to wait and see to find out. But Age of Ultron in and of itself is still WAY better then a lot of the crap that gets peddled these days. Unless you are just not a fan of these movies see this movie on the big screen. Like now. Seriously… see it on the big screen where it belongs. TIME NOW DAMMIT!

Master of My Domain
I'm going to see Age of Ultron tomorrow with a few buddies that have a very mainstream taste. They'll probably give the movie
at the 30 minute mark while I rate it fairly lower, but JayDee and your positive review, considering you two are die-hard fans of the superhero sub-genre I'm starting to gain a hype. The first Avengers was pretty awesome, hope the sequel matches it's level.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Ah and now my fellow MCU obsessive weighs in.

Delighted to see you loved it so much GS and just reading your review we agreed on a lot of the same points, both good and bad. Quite similar reviews in a lot of ways. Basically what I'm saying is that no-one needs to bother with this review, just go read mine seeing as I got there first.

And for once allow me to return the favour -

Of course you did it first, you Scots and Brit wankers get to see the movie a whole week before we Colonists do! Otherwise I would beat you to the punch!

Thank you for the kid comment JayDee! And Gatsby I hope you have fun!

Epic review, man! Your childlike enthusiasm for these Marvel movies really shows through in your writing.

I caught Age of Ultron in the theater last week, the way these movies are meant to be seen, and it was a lot of fun. Not quite as good as the first, but close, although I don't love the first one anywhere near as much as you do. Some of the magic of seeing these characters share the screen is now diminished. I thought the big climactic battle felt like too much of a retread of the first, just with easily disposed of robots instead of aliens. And I hate the unfunny attempts at humor that seem to happen every ten to fifteen seconds (I think I chuckled two or three times). But overall it was a very entertaining movie. The clash between Hulk and Iron Man was my favorite part. Surprisingly, though, the quiet moments are the ones that have stuck with me the most, like the scene early in the movie when all the characters take turns trying to lift Thor's hammer and the brief respite later at Hawkeye's house. Sometimes I feel like these Marvel movies are geared too much toward the comic book geeks than the general public, taking for granted what the audience knows. Luckily some of my friends are into comics, so I can turn to them and be like, "So who's this dude supposed to be? What's the deal with this guy?" Even after watching the movie, there are characters referenced in your review who I have no idea who the hell you're talking about, like Baron Von Strucker, for instance.

Well Baron Von Strucker if you did not know who the hell he was I would not blame you. He was really only in a mid credit cut scene for The Winter Soldier and was mentioned in Agents of SHIELD. He was the main Hydra bad guy in the first scene, then was killed off screen by Ultron. They did a piss poor job of saying who the hell he was before he died. Maybe due to rewrites, or lost in what appears to be a bunch of extra footage cut from the film. Needless to say I need to see this directors cut when it hits DVD.

As for Marvel, I don't think they want to alienate the general public so much as bring their source material to them while satisfying the core fanbase. Hence choices like a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and the upcoming Black Panther, and Captain Marvel flicks.

Master of My Domain
I totally agree with Captain about Age of Ultron geared toward comic book geeks. The first film wasn't complicated, the heroes' traits, motives, and powers were all clear. This helped me get into the film regardless of barley knowing anything about the Marvel universe. On the other hand, I was confused and disinterested throughout the recently released sequel. I liked that the series was trying to take a darker and deeper turn, but they could've done it way better.

and the upcoming Black Panther
I had no idea the Black Panther Party was a Marvel property. You learn something new everyday!

I had no idea the Black Panther Party was a Marvel property. You learn something new everyday!

Wrong Black Panther!

But I can see where certain people would have issues. Since a big chuck of this movie was set up for Phase III. And I am sure a lot of what seemed rushed is explained in the directors cut. Or at least I hope it is.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Of all the franchises I have watched over the years, one of my favorites is the Mad Max franchise. Now some of my favorite films went on to spawn multiple sequels, but a lot of them were not great as a series. Jaws should have been a stand alone movie or at the very least stopped at Jaws II. Dirty Harry was great for the first few movies but was never as good past the The Enforcer. And while the first three Romero zombie movies are brilliant, they went to hell with the mediocre Land of the Dead and the ABYSMAL Survivor of the Dead. Mad Max on the other hand was a very strong trilogy for me. I liked the first Mad Max quite a bit, LOVED the Road Warrior, and I enjoyed Beyond Thunderdome. To top it off, at one point in my life The Road Warrior was my favorite movie. I mean what is there not to like? It was an iconic post apocalyptic movie, staring Mel Gibson (before the scandals), had loads of pre CGI high octane action, and some very memorable characters. You had The Gyro Captain and the Feral Kid, and villains in Wes and Humongous. So when I heard years ago in 2009 that they were going to make another Mad Max film, I was PISSED! I mean it had been decades since the last film, and I have a generally very negative view on remakes and reboots. Sometimes you get a great remake like Zack Snyder did with Dawn of the Dead. Then again he also rebooted the Superman franchise, and I HATED that movie. So it can be a double edged sword. But then I learned that George Miller, the original director of the trilogy was returning to helm the project. At that point and time I began to have some hope. I also heard he was going to primarily use stunt drivers and real vehicles as opposed to CGI. Again, that was a plus. I saw some pictures of the production and I thought they were pretty good, but nothing great. But then I saw the first trailer. After that, I began to have real hope. I mean it looked action packed and awesome! So I walked into this film with expectations that it was going to be good. What I got was two hours of high octane insanity…

And…

It…

Was…

GLORIOUS!

THIS is what I wanted to see in a new Mad Max movie! How does it stake up in the franchise? Well fuel up the V8 Interceptor with nitro and load your double barrel as we speed along with Mad Max: Fury Road!

The film opens with back story on how the world came to be. A world plunged into darkness and chaos by war and flame. The world as we knew it ended and what rose from the wastelands was the cut throat world of struggle and survival. A world where death is actually a sweet relief and the strongest survive. Max (Tom Hardy) is introduced here as he is being pursued by members of the mobile army of the main villain Immortan Joe, the warlord of one of many gangs in the wasteland. Max is captured and is kept alive to be used as a “blood bag” for Joe’s army the War Boys. Immortan Joe runs a place called The Citadel, near the two neighboring towns of Bullet Farm and Gas Town. Here he is the ruler and cult leader. Their religion seems to be partially based on old Norse ways with its references to Valhalla and warrior roots. But this religion has more references to engines, chorme, and of course Immortan Joe appoints himself as the god. And as such he gets to sleep with all the women he wants, and have as many wives as he wants. And he only chooses the best, whether they want to marry him or not. This is where Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) comes in. A once loyal servant to the warlord, she betrays Immortan Joe by smuggling his wives in a War Rig away from him during a routine gas and ammo run. Thus begins the chase where Immortan Joe tries to recover his women and seek his revenge. Max is brought along to provide blood for one of Joe’s men, but he escapes and teams up with Furiosa. The rest of the film is our heroes engaging in chase scenes and gun fights. AND I LOVED IT!

This film could only be done well with the careful direction of George Miller. If they had let anyone else make this movie it would have sucked! George does reboot his own work, but he does so with love and respect for the old trilogy. He does so by making numerous references and nods to the older movies. When Mad is captured, he crashes his vehicle in a similar fashion that was done when he crashed his V8 Interceptor in The Road Warrior. Hell, the car looked just like his vehicle in Mad Max and the Road Warrior! It even had the giant gas tank in the back! The cars in the movie are also done in the same spirit of the two previous films. The vehicles are supped up, tricked out, highly customized and reflect the brutal personality of the drivers of the wasteland. They even brought back the concept of the 18 wheeler rig from The Road Warrior. Max also keeps his origin story from the first Mad Max. His wife and daughter were killed, and now he is a broken shell of a man. The gear worn by the warlord and his men are in the same spirit of the last movies, but there is more emphasis on chrome and metal, then black leather S&M gear. But the outfits are still more then creative and fit the Mad Max universe. Plus the face paint with the white face and black eyes reminded me of Beyond Thunderdome. There are also smaller nods like the music box (from The Road Warrior), the midget and hulking brute assistants to Immortan Joe (which I took as a subtle reference to Master Blaster in Beyond Thunderdome), Max’s sawed off double barrel shotgun (all of the other movies), and the motorcycle raiders in Fury Road are a nod to the original motorcycle gang in the first Mad Max. Speaking of which, Immortan Joe is played by Hugh Keays-Byrne, who was the biker gang leader Toecutter of Mad Max! So the original villain of Mad Max is now the main villain of Fury Road!

I didn’t even notice this until I was looking at the film’s IMDB page! Blew my mind! Keeping the spirit of the original Mad Max trilogy alive and well! I love ya George Miller!

But this is still a different film the other movies. I mean Mel Gibson has been replaced by Tom Hardy, but he does a great job as Max. And we introduce Furiosa as a new hardass female fighter. Think of her as a newer version of the archer lady in the Road Warrior, only with more depth and character. But these are differences in casting, which is to be expected since the last Mad Max movie was made 30 years ago. And these are not differences in spirit. This is still very much a Mad Max movie. The film combines the revenge angle of the original Mad Max, with the mobile army of The Road Warrior, and has a leader of a post apocalyptic settlement like in Thunderdome. The biggest differences here are in the production values. The Mad Max films were never expensive films to make. The first one was made for less than half a million dollars. The Road Warrior cost around 4.5 million and Thunderdome cost 12 million to make. This time someone dumped 150 million dollars on George’s lawn and said “Go nuts!” And he did! The budget created more crazy vehicles, more crazy outfits, more stunts, more crashes, more explosions, and lots more action on a scale bigger than the other films! Not only have the vehicles gotten bigger and more numerous, they have gotten more creative. One of my favorite vehicles in the movie is one where a blind guitar player is held onto a platform in front of a wall of speakers by bungee cords playing heavy metal music to inspire the troops like a psychotic drummer boy! How cool is that?!?!? And the best part is this film is about 90% live action. Certain scenes were CGI, like the big exterior shots of the Citadel, certain key crashes, Furiosa's robotic hand and a few other bits here and there, but for the most part the film features real vehicles driven by stunt men for real action. And since other film franchises dealing with cars tend to focus much more on the CGI then these days, it is very refreshing to see a return to live action stunts. Plus, there are still quite a few moments that lend itself for character development, helping the film feel more complete. Now the dialogue might throw you off since there is not a whole lot of it. This film does not have a lot of big speeches, monologues, or heavy back and forth between characters. And the dialogue is spoken in a lot of simple words and phrases, much of it in an almost tribal or broken English. This is what one would expect from a society where schools that teach proper grammar are a thing of the past. But the dialogue is not a hallmark of the Mad Max franchise. You don’t expect Shakespeare from Mad Max, you want action! And this movie has that in spades! Remember how cool the final chase scene in The Road Warrior was? Well this movie is like a 2 hour version of that chase scene. The majority of the film is Max, Furiosa and company riding a large 18 wheeler through the desert with Immortan Joe and his men on their heels! Bullets, chases, crashes, explosions, and stunt work galore! I can’t say enough how awesome this movie was!

Now there are a few nitpicks. Sometimes I could not understand what the hell Immortan Joe was saying. This is a combination of the respirator thing he was wearing combined with his Aussie accent, but that was not a major distraction. This was not Bane in The Dark Knight Rises trying to do Nolan’s exposition; Joe had a few lines here or there, but he was never trying to do a big speech. So that was not that big a deal. Also it is kind of sad that this was not filmed in Australia. Instead of being filmed in the deserts of Broken Hill or Coober Pedy, this movie was shot in the African nation of Namibia. Now the desert look was awesome and I am not going to complain, but it does feel a bit weird that this Australian franchise was not shot in the Outback. But these are nitpicks and should not distract someone from watching the film.

As you can tell I am a HUGE Mad Max fan. And I am delighted that this film lived up to the trailer. In fact if I were to rate this up against the original films, I would say that this is my second favorite film in the franchise. The Road Warrior will always be king in my heart, and while I do love the original Mad Max, this film just has more action. In fact this is currently my favorite film of the year. And when you are beating out an Avenger’s movie, you are doing something very right! I will be seeing this film again when I get the chance in IMAX 3D, maybe tomorrow after work. This film comes highly recommended from The Gunslinger himself. See it now!

I can't wait to see it later this week with all the good things I've heard of it and Charlize and Hardy as lead actors it's gotta be a great.
I didn't read your review yet cause I don't want to see any spoilers

I can't wait to see it later this week with all the good things I've heard of it and Charlize and Hardy as lead actors it's gotta be a great.
I didn't read your review yet cause I don't want to see any spoilers
See the movie first. You won't be disappointed!

See the movie first. You won't be disappointed!
I'm so happy I didn't read anything about the movie prior to seeing it. I think the impression was much stronger this way. Great review by the way I also thought the guitar guy was really cool... and Furiosa... she was so awesome

I'm so happy I didn't read anything about the movie prior to seeing it. I think the impression was much stronger this way. Great review by the way I also thought the guitar guy was really cool... and Furiosa... she was so awesome
Glad you liked it! Yeah it was great to breath new life into the Mad Max flicks! Hit me right in the fan boy bone.

The Quiet Duel

Hello again MoFos! It is another edition of At the Theater with The Gunslinger 45. Okay not so much the theater again… but this time we mark a very special occasion. The end of a viewing era, as I have finally completed Akira Kurosawa’s feature filmography. Over three years ago I first decided to seriously dip my toes into international cinema with a little film called Seven Samurai. A film that has gone on to become one of my top 10 favorite films of all time. This also started a deep love affair with the Japanese Golden Age, and opened the doors of foreign cinema beyond Godzilla titles. And I will celebrate this occasion by doing three mini reviews of the final three films of his that I saw and will post my ratings of all of his work. So let us dive into The Quiet Duel, The Idiot, and Dersu Uzala.

This is the final film of Kurosawa’s I saw that had the great Toshiro Mifune in the lead (but not the final film with him in it). This 1949 film has a very young Toshiro playing a surgeon in an Army hospital during World War II. During an operation he cuts his finger while performing an operation to save a young soldiers life. Unfortunately the soldier is infected with syphilis. At the time of this film, syphilis was practically incurable in Japan, and treatment took many years to clear up. So the problem facing the young doctor arises as he finally returns home to a waiting fiancée. Needless to say hard decisions and harder conversations have to be made upon returning home.

The circumstances surrounding the doctor’s infection while certainly negligent on his part, do not warrant the events to follow. The reveal of the sickness to his father (played by Takashi Shimura) was hard, his interactions with his future wife are harder, but his other challenge is with the young soldier who infected him. Lo and behold that jackass shows up in town, and not only has not sought treatment but has gotten himself married and his wife is pregnant. The young doctor must struggle with his disease, his upcoming marriage, as well as trying to keep his sickness a secret. What surprises me about this film is how good it is, and yet it does not have a Criterion release. And if you look at his filmography, most of his films are released through the Criterion Collection. From his earliest films to his final film, Madadayo. Yet this film was left out? I honestly do not get it. This is a criminally underrated film from one of the great masters of cinema.