Weakest Scorsese Picture

Tools    

I actually like New York, New York quite a bit, and it is certainly much better than its critical reputation. It is definitely flawed, but very ambitious, and when it works it's something very special. I think the opening forty minutes or so is perfect. Just a bit too long overall, and had the script been finished before they began filming I think a lot of that length would have been edited out. But I like it a lot.

Cape Fear is terrific. As I've said before, it's Marty's Touch of Evil. I love how they changed the core of the story from the original, making the Bowdens severely flawed and dealing with sins of their own before The Devil in the form of Max Cady is even added to the mix. And Juliette Lewis' performance is still astounding.

*just about all of these movies are covered in great detail in THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I loved Cape Fear and Bringing out the Dead. Seems these get a lot of flack. What was wrong with the direction and editing in Cape Fear?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Nothing.

Oh, I concur. Just wondering what the fellow who said that was talking about.

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by Sedai
Just wondering what the fellow who said that was talking about.
Hmmm yeah. I sort of regret putting that down. I don't have much evidence to use seeing as I havent seen the film in such a long while. The more I think about the movie the less there seems to be wrong with it.

There is nothing bad about the direction and editing, infact I think the pacing is spot-on, but it just seems bleak and very standard compared to the other assets of the film.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I too think Cape Fear is terrific. Not only the work that Scorsese does with it but all the leading actors are also great.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
"You talkin' to me?.....You talkin' to ME? Well, could you write it down 'cos my hearing aid battery's died."

Yeah, this is going to turn out to be just a rumor. It even sounds like one on first flush. Boy are people starved for "news".

When I was at the Austin Film Festival back in...must have been October 1999, and I heard that Paul Schrader dismissed this very idea from Bob and Marty back then. The AFF is very laid back and there is (or was, I haven't been in a few years now) extremely easy access to the guests, mostly screenwriters. So I was just hanging out in the bar at the Driscoll Hotel, sitting next to Polly Platt who was sitting next to Schrader. Paul mentioned to Polly that one of the days he was on the Bringing Out the Dead set DeNiro was there too. DeNiro and Scorsese both approached Schrader with a 'what if'. They asked him, "Where do you think Travis is today?" Paul asked if they were serious, to which they said they weren't sure. Without missing a beat, Schrader said Bickle was dead. Long dead (and he's right, of course). Paul said they seemed disappointed that he didn't want to entertain the idea at all, and then the subject was changed. He didn't know at the time if they were only half-joking or really seeing if he was open to the idea, but he shot it down either way.

So, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't at all doubt DeNiro could have said something off-hand to a reporter or such, as I know he toyed with the idea years ago, but I doubt this'll come to be. I don't see how Schrader would be involved, and I can't imagine Scorsese touching the material again without him.

So don't hold your breath or get angry or whatever, because it just ain't gonna happen. It's just one of those rumors. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DeNiro turn up in the Infernal Affairs remake Scorsese is doing (more likely as the Anthony Wong cop and not the Eric Tsang crook, if I had to guess), but don't seriously look for Taxi Driver II: Electric Boogaloo. Scorsese has also been "rumored" to be working on a GoodFellas sequel in recent years, a movie that would look at the events and the years after from Henry Hill's children's perspective. That too of course turned out to be bullsh!t. You gotta take these things for what they're worth, folks: nothing.

Taxidriver

Originally Posted by kenny
Taxidriver

Originally Posted by Mose
Seeing as how I tend to agree with you and Sedai on most films methinks I might give it another shot. In my defense, I did watch it during one of my 3am insomniac phases.
You mean:

"Seeing as how I want to have the same opinion as you and Sedai, I will give it another shot and will change my mind accordingly. Then, hopefully, I will fit in quite nicely."

It's good to disagree.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
You mean:

"Seeing as how I want to have the same opinion as you and Sedai, I will give it another shot and will change my mind accordingly. Then, hopefully, I will fit in quite nicely."

It's good to disagree.
Yes, I will be a good little soldier and obey Big Brother (aka Holden and Bullet)

My Top 100 favorite movies.

"I can't help it..."
Out of the films of his that I have seen, I would have to say The King Of Comedy. For me, this just wasn't dark enough to fully pull off what it wanted, and I find looking at Sandra Bernhard extremely painful.... But De Niro and Lewis were good...
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by liam5000
Out of the films of his that I have seen, I would have to say The King Of Comedy. For me, this just wasn't dark enough to fully pull off what it wanted, and I find looking at Sandra Bernhard extremely painful.... But De Niro and Lewis were good...
YIKES!!! The King of Comedy is one of my absolute favourites and, for me, one of Scorsese's as well as De Niro's finest moments.

"I can't help it..."
Different strokes for different folks.