1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Sorcerer's Stone
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Deathly Hallows Part 1
6. Deathly Hallows Part 2
7. Order of the Phoenix
8. Half-Blood Prince

I like the two Columbus films more than most. Their visuals are not as imaginative as Azkaban's, but their substance and physicality make up for it, both of which I think get worse as the series goes on as it becomes more CGI-reliant and thus weightless. Hogwarts never feels so big or magical in Stone and Chamber as it does in any of the other movies perhaps except for Goblet. There's also John Williams' scores, which feature the best, most memorable music in the series. It's not just the aesthetics that put them high on the list, though: I like the performances Columbus gets out of the child cast. He's not a great director, but if he's good at anything, it's at directing children if these movies, Home Alone and The Goonies are of any indication. Plus, I also prefer Harris's Dumbledore to Gambon's.

Why do I like Half-Blood Prince the least? It's the least substantial entry, if anything. Yes, I know something very important happens in it, but it still doesn't seem like there's enough "there" there to base a feature film around. It also has a lot of cringe, such as how unpleasantly odd Radcliffe's acting is while in "lucky" mode, and Broadbent's interpretation of Slughorn - one of my favorite teachers in all the books - is disappointing and not how I imagined the character at all. It's also the least aesthetically-pleasing movie. Your mileage may vary, but I'm not the biggest fan of Bruno Delbonnel's cinematography in it.

No 10. Crimes of Grindelwald - Not seen it and I won't be seeing it

No 9. Fantastic Beasts.

Unfortunately, this one I have seen. Because I had a strong affinity for the originals (both books and movies), I had no real desire to read or see this when it came out. As far as the HP world went, I had been there, enjoyed it thoroughly and put it back in its box where I re-open it every few years and enjoy it again. I knew if I saw Fantastic Beasts and it was a major disappointment it might taint my overall love for the series. In the end though I did get dragged to it and my worst fears were realised. Everything that I loved about the originals was absent here.

The story: Honestly, it has been several years since I've seen it and I'm struggling to recall the plot in detail now which in itself is a bad sign. As far as I remember Newt loses his pets and tries to find them, there's a bit of romance and friendship, some politics and a separate thing going on with Ezra Miller which was very messy. None of gelled together very well and towards the end the pacing became rushed and a lot of the cohesion fell apart.

The characters, again, just didn't compare to the originals. I like Eddie Redmayne as an actor but Newt just didn't come close to having the same depth as Harry. He's a nice guy, likes animals, a little awkward around people and stares with wide-eyed wonder at pretty much everything. That's essentially it. Maybe they elaborated more on him in the sequel, I don't know, but even in the first HP when Harry is about 11 he is far more interesting. I could go through more characters (the annoying comic relief side kick is one that comes to mind) but I'd only be repeating myself. They were all vapid and forgettable and by the end of the movie I didn't want to know anything else about them.

When I think of HP I am reminded of what was a spectacle from start to finish. Stunning locations, creative and interesting sets, great costumes and excellent special effects (for the most part). Once again I just never saw any of this in Fantastic Beasts. Just because it's set in a city rather than a castle in the countryside doesn't mean it has to be unerringly drab and colourless. The effects didn't stand out as being awful but like everything else they lacked imagination

If this was just a stand alone fantasy film I probably would have said it was bland, forgettable but ultimately harmless and given it a
. However, when we're talking about a film in the same world as HP then that's what it's putting itself up against. And for me, it simply failed in every respect.

I'll try to do number 8 tomorrow.

Duplicate Account (locked)
to my memory, the books felt a lot darker and more mysterious, i loved them so much as a kid and i read them obsessively. When i saw the movies when i was high school aged they just felt really typical and childish and i honestly didn't like any of them, i think i've only seen 1 and 4. From this light, it would seem that Azkaban would be a good one because it has the dementors. I remember freaking out about how they were described when i read them

to my memory, the books felt a lot darker and more mysterious, i loved them so much as a kid and i read them obsessively. When i saw the movies when i was high school aged they just felt really typical and childish and i honestly didn't like any of them, i think i've only seen 1 and 4. From this light, it would seem that Azkaban would be a good one because it has the dementors. I remember freaking out about how they were described when i read them
They get darker as they go. If that, specifically, stopped you from liking them, I would definitely watch the last three or four.

I agree the first couple are a bit too lighthearted, or at least, I feel like the second should've trended a little more grown-up relative to the first (which I can understand them wanting to feel a bit softer). But they released the second film literally 364 days after the first, so it was clearly a bit of a rush job.

Duplicate Account (locked)
They get darker as they go. If that, specifically, stopped you from liking them, I would definitely watch the last three or four.

I agree the first couple are a bit too lighthearted, or at least, I feel like the second should've trended a little more grown-up relative to the first (which I can understand them wanting to feel a bit softer). But they released the second film literally 364 days after the first, so it was clearly a bit of a rush job.

it doesn't have anything to do with being grown up, it's about the aesthetics. I personally like creepyness and mysteriousness, when i read the first 3 as a kid it did actually feel like a magical alternate reality. The first movie just felt like a something by pixar when i watched it.

I have no issue with childish things within themselves, and i am definetly somewhat of a child. The other day when i was cleaning up stuff from my house to sell on ebay, i found "the year of the monkeys", and since i had never seen it i decided to watch it. It was great!

it doesn't have anything to do with being grown up, it's about the aesthetics. I personally like creepyness and mysteriousness, when i read the first 3 as a kid it did actually feel like a magical alternate reality. The first movie just felt like a something by pixar when i watched it.
I meant "darker" in all senses. The aesthetics are different, too, befitting them being more "grown up." It's also even literally darker, cinematographically!

Anyway, the last few films feel completely different than the first few. Maybe that'll do it for ya', maybe not, but they're also widely regarded as the best, so probably worth a shot if you like the source material.

Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
Prisoner Of Azkaban
Half-Blood Prince
Deathly Hallows Pt. 1
Goblet of Fire
Chamber of Secrets
Order Of The Phoenix
Sorcerer's Stone

While it's hard for me to understand someone not liking Peter Ustinov's brilliant portrayal of PJ in what I consider the most loveable (and unique) animated Disney flick, I do have an appreciation for your appreciation of my appreciation of David Yates.
Speaking of the 1973 Robin Hood, did you see that episode of Game Grumps where they talked about that movie's accidental role in awakening people's inner "furry", at about the seventeen minute mark?:

Speaking of the 1973 Robin Hood, did you see that episode of Game Grumps where they talked about that movie's accidental role in awakening people's inner "furry", at about the seventeen minute mark?:

Wait what?

goddamn furries and their goddamn furry agenda

WARNING: "furry" spoilers below
To be fair, Maid Marian is quite the fox

Number 8 - The Goblet of Fire

WARNING: spoilers below
This is the weakest one for me. There's a lot of tedious stuff in the first hour and a half. The Quidditch World Cup, Yule ball and Harry and Ron's long unnecessary fight stand out. The film also never explains how Barty Crouch breaks out of Azkaban. Considering how much of the previous film is spent detailing how difficult escaping is and how it leads to a massive manhunt, they probably should have explained why this wasn't the case this time. Similarly, they never say what happens to him at the end of the film after he is captured. It's insinuated that he is returned to Azkaban but when the mass breakout happens, there is no sign of him. If you have read the books then you know but it's not great screen writing.

Thankfully Ralph Fiennes comes in and rescues it. And to be fair the last 45 minutes or so is great. From when they enter the graveyard until the end is top quality. Personal favourite moment is after they return to the school and, one by one, people realise Cedric has died while the celebratory music plays in the background. Very nicely handled.

"Don't you turn your back on me, Harry Potter. I want you to look at me when I kill you. I want to see the light leave your eyes!"

Not that I don't enjoy list threads in the traditional manner, but let's just keep the whole list in one post because it could enf up confusing if other people do it at the same time.

Been a huge fan of the series, recently binged watched it again and here's my rankings!

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)
7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
8. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
hope u read the books also

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I've almost finished watching the series for the first time, and so far it's pretty good, with great to decent entries. However, I just finished The Half Blood Prince, and is it me, or does this movie not hold together at all, plot wise? I didn't half of what was happening in it, unless I missed something?

1) Prisoner of Azkhaban
2) Goblet of Fire
3) Order of the Phoenix
4) Half Blood Prince
5) Deathly Hallows 1
6) Deathly Hallows 2
7) Sorcerer's Stone
8) Chamber of Secrets

Azkhaban is probably the only one I would consider as being very good. Fire and Phoenix are enjoyable nothings. The rest for me is a complete write off.

Prisoner of Azkaban is my most favorite part!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just finished the whole series. Is it me or are there unexplained parts of the plot here and there, or lack of explained parts? I asked other fans I know, and they said it's because I haven't read the books. But can't they make a movie where people can watch the movies on their own without having to read the books to fill in blanks?

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
I also noticed the Biblical themes and references. I think Snape is supposed to be Judas for example, and I think they did this intentionally, unless I am wrong?

I also felt the ending of the series was a bit of a let down, and I feel they should have killed off the character but then lost the guts to and wanted to take it back, instead of committing. What do you think?

Deathly Hallows 2 8.75
Prisoner Of Azkaban 8.5

The rest really don't matter that much, to be honest with you...