List your Favorite Documentaries

Tools    

Forgot about Portrait of Jason. Essential stuff!
I haven't seen it, but The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On and Cameraperson are probably the most underseen films on my list.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Sicko (2007)
This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006)
No End in Sight (2007)

Great series on practical effects on the YouTube channel Piercefilm Productions

Here is one for the film Moon.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Of the ones not mentioned, I'd add:

The Great White Silence
The Epic of Everest
Grass: A Nation's Battle for Life
With Byrd at the South Pole
The Spanish Earth
Triumph of the Will
Olympia Part One: Festival of the Nations
Olympia Part Two: Festival of Beauty
Why We Fight series
The Endless Summer
The Concert for Bangladesh
Jimi Plays Monterey
The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl
100 Years at the Movies
These Amazing Shadows
O.J.: Made in America
LA 92
Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on the Exorcist
They Shall Not Grow Old

Baraka
Shoa
13 Lakes
Koyaanisqatsi
Sans soleil
The Beaches of Agnès
A Letter to True
Encounters at the End of the World
Cinemania
Counting
Man with a Movie Camera
We Spin Around the Night Consumed by the Fire
As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty
Can't Get You Out of My Head
Civil War

Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey 2012 ★★★★★
follows the real life rock-n-roll fairy tale story of Filipino Arnel Pineda, who was plucked from You Tube to become the front man for iconic American rock band, Journey,

Happy Valley 2014 ★★★★★
A documentary that observes the year after Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky's arrest on child sex abuse charges.

History of the Eagles 2013 ★★★★★
The life and times of the super successful American soft-rock band, Eagles.

Conor McGregor: Notorious 2017 ★★★★★
Behind-the-scenes look at a sporting icon and his spectacular rise.

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness 2020 ★★★★½
A rivalry between big cat eccentrics takes a dark turn when Joe Exotic a controversial animal park boss, is caught in a murder-for-hire plot.

Rocketman: Mike’s Mission to build a rocket 2019 ★★★★½
A man builds a homemade rocket and launches himself into space on a mission to prove that the Earth is flat.

The Queen of Versailles 2012 ★★★★½
A documentary that follows a billionaire couple as they begin construction on a mansion inspired by Versailles. During the next two years, their empire, fueled by the real estate bubble and cheap money, falters due to the economic crisis.

Shelby American 2019 ★★★★½
The story of automotive icon Carroll Shelby who started as a chicken farmer and went on to become one of the winningest racing drivers in American motorsports, and the only man in history to win in Le Mans as a driver and a manufacturer.

Cheer 2020 ★★★★½
In the small town of Corsicana, Texas, hard-driving head cheer coach Monica Aldama demands perfection from her team of competitive college athletes.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball 2014 ★★★★
In 1973, Hollywood actor Bing Russell starts an independent minor league baseball team in Portland consisting of outcasts and misfits, and turns them into unlikely overnight success.

Fyre 2019 ★★★★
a behind the scenes look at the infamous unraveling of the Fyre music festival that was held in the Bamahas.

Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator 2019 ★★★★
Tracing from his rise in the 1970s to his disgrace in accusations of rape and sexual harassment in more recent years.

Glen Campbell: I’ll Be Me 2014 ★★★★
As he struggles with Alzheimer's disease, country-music legend Glen Campbell embarks on his farewell tour in the U.S., Australia, and Europe.

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich 2020 ★★★★
Survivors worldwide reveal the manipulation, abuse and emotional scars suffered at the hands of wealthy convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Their stories expose a sex trafficking ring of powerful enablers leading up to his 2019 arrest.

Don’t F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer 2019 ★★★★
A group of online justice seekers track down a guy who posted a video of himself killing kittens Voyeur 2017 ★★★★

Tony Robbins: I Am Not Your Guru 2016 ★★★★
Tony Robbins, is a revelatory cinéma vérité film that goes behind the scenes of his mammoth seminar "Date With Destiny," attended by over 2,500 people in Boca Raton, Florida, each year, to give an insider look at how one man can affect millions.

The Legend of Cocaine Island 2018 ★★★★
A desperate man goes on a buried treasure hunt for $2 million worth of cocaine.

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond 2017 ★★★★
A behind-the-scenes look at how Jim Carrey adopted the persona of idiosyncratic comedian Andy Kaufman on the set of Man on the Moon

Man on Wire 2008 ★★★★
A look at tightrope walker Philippe Petit's daring, but illegal, high-wire routine performed between New York City's World Trade Center's twin towers in 1974, what some consider, "the artistic crime of the century".

Hired Gun 2016 ★★★★
A documentary film about session and touring musicians that are hired by well established and famous bands and artists like Metallica, KISS, and Billy Joel. These hired guns may not be household names, but are still masters of their craft. Operation Odessa 2018 ★★★★

Circus of Books 2019 ★★★½
In 1976, Karen and Barry Mason had fallen on hard times and were looking for a way to support their young family when they answered an ad in the Los Angeles Times. Larry Flynt was seeking distributors for Hustler Magazine. What was expected to be a brief sideline led to their becoming fully immersed in the LGBT community as they took over a local store, Circus of Books.

I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story 2015 ★★★½
Caroll Spinney has been Sesame Street's Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch since 1969; at 78-years-old, he has no intention of stopping.

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee 2016

Tiger Woods

Evil Genius

Perfect Bid

Voyeur Hotel

The Dirt: Montley Crew"

Tiger woods

Heavens Gate

McMillions

Class Action Park

Last Dance "Chicago Bulls"

Night Stalker

Framing John Delorean

Operation Varsity Blues The College admission scandle"

The Last Block Buster

Captain Fantastic

Fox Catcher

The Lady and the Dale

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Nostalgia de la Luz (2010), about various ways to investigate the (political, astronomical, personal) past in a Chilean desert.

Cannibal Tours (1988), about tourism in Papua New Guinea and the commodification of local communities for folkloric, exoticist consumption.

El Sicario, room 164 (2010), an interview of a drug cartel henchman, and a dive into levels of ordinary evil that no fiction would dare nearing.

Les maîtres fous (1955), how a possession cult in Niger violently satirizes European colonial power.

Behind the curve (2018), Feels good man (2020), Beware the slenderman (2016), three very different documentaries about the impact, stakes and mechanisms of internet communities.

Won't you be my neighbor (2019), on the value of being a gentle person.

Une mémoire vodou (2008), about an old lady and her voodoo museum in Haïti.

Disneyland mon vieux pays natal (2001), a more bitter than sweet look back at the magic of Disney.

Sur les traces du renard pâle (1984), on the Mali's Dogon cosmological myths surrounding the Pale Fox trickster.

Une république devenue folle (1996), on the colonial construction of racial antagonisms in Rwanda.

La langue ne ment pas (2004), a documentary about Klemperer's testimony on the evolution of German language under the nazi regime.

Hm. A few ones with no english titles that I know of. Yeah, I'm from... over there. Sorry.

Too many to name really. But here’s some:

Icarus
Man on Wire
Searching for Sugarman
Supersize me
Notorious: Conor Mcgregor
Hoop Dreams
Room 237
Generation Iron 1, 2 & 3
Dogtown & Z-boys
Battered Basterds of Baseball
Blackfish
No No (baseball no hitter doc)
Tough Guy
Ice Guardians
Fahrenheit 911

And a lot more I can’t remember off hand

As I was scrolling through the replies, I got a bit confused about the replies that were given. Because I did copy paste 'Paris is burning' and I got a American 1980's film instead of a documentary. But no offense here.
I want to tell that my favorite documentary Nazi Megastructures is on National Geographic. The World Wars and Greatest Tank Battles are other great examples of documentary's. I have these one's on DVD. I rarely watch TV as I can't stand the advertisements. Most of the good stuff is packed with advertisement and commercials.
Just wanted to reply, because I'm wanting so long to talk to like minded people about movies and entertainment.

Have not seen a ton, but Salt of the Earth, about Sebastiao Salgado, is one of the best movies I've seen in any category. Pina as well.

Deep Water (2006)

Documentary about the 1968 round the world yacht race. The first ever.

Pumping Iron (1977)

Follows Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno as they battle for the Mr. Olympia prize. We also get to meet Franco columbu. There is something very amusing about Lou Ferrigno’s size and his behavior in this film. With his 70s style clothes/glasses he looks a bit goofy, and weighing in on around 130 kg, he is about 25 kg heavier than Arnold.

Children of Darkness(1983)
Young people in different mental health facilities in USA.

Bowling For Columbine (2002)

Well known for most people. One of my favorite movies for a long time.

The Killing Of America (1982)

It has much of the same core focus as Bowling For Columbine. Pretty intense 90 minutes.

Children Underground (2001)
Homeless children on the streets in Romania. Kept coming back to it over the years.

Happy People: A Year In The Taiga ( 2010)
Herzog.
Grizzly Man (2005)
Herzog.

Nanook of The North (1922)

One year following an Inuit family in the Canadian Arctic.

Others i like: American Movie, King of Kong, Koyaanisqatsi, The Act of Killing.

Honourable Mention:Lil Bub and Friendz (2013)
We meet the internet phenomenon cat, Lil Bub. We also meet Grumpy Cat and Keyboard Cat. It has 147 ratings on IMDB, and it had alot fewer at the time i saw it.

I question anything by Michael Moore. Much like Christopher Guest, who makes brilliant mockumentaries, who goes to extremes. The thing is that Chris gets the joke where as Moore thinks he's Mike Wallace.

Just updated the list. Please check out the first post. Thanks!

I watched What is a Woman?.

Strictly speaking about the thing, then it's decent.
It's important to keep the subject of your documentary important, but here Walsh tries to largely make himself the main topic. There is an attempt to mock the other side for the most part.

And yet, for 20-25 minutes when people like Miriam Grossman, Sara Stockton or Scott Newgent speak, it makes for a fascinating and somewhat scary listen.

If you want a better documentary on this topic, then I would suggest the Swedish documentary 'The Trans Trains'. It's available for free on YouTube.