Dark Water

Tools    

Jennifer Connelly to star in the upcoming remake "Dark Water"
Connelly
"The remake of Hideo Nakata's Dark Water is moving towards production. The Hollywood Reporter announced that Jennifer Connelly is in discussion to star and Brazillian director Walter Salles set to direct. The film revolves around the story of a mother and daughter haunted by the ghost of a young girl whose family once lived in their apartment building. The original film was a huge hit in Japan as was Hideo Nakata's The Ring, which was recently re-made starring Naomi Watts.

Interestingly enough, Jennifer Connelly was originally offered the lead role in The Ring but she turned it down because she didn't want to do a horror film.

Dark Water is being produced by Mike Mechanic through his Disney-based production company Pandemonium Pictures."

Did some more digging.
Here's what Connelly had to say about it: "It's being directed by Walter Salles and he's fantastic. It's about a single mother who is going through a divorce and trying to make a life for herself and her five year-old daughter and she starts to see things in this place that she's living and you don't know if it's her husband trying to make her crazy, if it's just in her mind or if there's something going on. It's a scary movie, but an old-school scary movie - not a gore movie. Psychological, suspense."

And some photos from the set.

This is fairly old news, but I decided to post it because there isn't a thread about... and I was kind of fond of the original.

The release is in 2005 though exact date is TBA.

Along with Jennifer Connelly, Dark Water also stars Shelley DuVall, Ariel Gade, Tim Roth, John C. Reilly, Camryn Manheim, Pete Postlethwaite, Dougray Scott and Perla Haney-Jardine.

Here's some info on the release dates.

I read in Fangoria that the projected release date was November of this year... I could be wrong though.

When i found out this film was being made/remade it was a real kick in the teeth, i have since lost all faith in Hollywood, a cash in of a cash in, cashing in on good original films

history *is* moralizing
wow, since i love Jennifer, i'm really looking forward to see the Yankee version of this flick! and i quite liked the original one, so...

and i wanna use this thread, for if any fan of Asian horror thrillers read it, to recommend again A Tale of Two Sisters(Korea 2003), one of the most beautiful and pretty scary movies i saw lately. yep, it's slow, but it has to be i think. and the acting is real good.

Movie Explorer
I've read a review of this movie in some magazine last year if I recall correctly. I've wanted to see this for a while, at least the Japanese version anyway. This was around the same time I was so hyped up about "The Eye" if anyone remembers that one. I'm not sure what to expect out of this Hollywood remake though since Hollywood is known for screwing up original success stories.