Smallville

Tools    

bright lights bright lights!
Any Smallville fans here?

Leon: "Always like this"

A system of cells interlinked
Well,

I have a Love/Hate relationship with the show. Being a long time fan of comics, I was excited when the show first aired, as it seemed to be on the right track character wise. The "Baddy of the Week" theme was lame, but most fantastical shows (Buffy etc.) start off with this mechanic until they get an overarching story going and get people into the characters. So first season had a grace period where I would let slide certain oversights and problems the show seemed to have.

Here we are in Season three and I think that although they are building a good story arc around Lex, and starting to up the abilities of Clark, the writing has gone right in the toilet. The dialouge is consistently awfuland the actions of some of the characters (Clark/Chloe/and especially Jor-el) make little sense. I mean to tell you the truth, I don't even believe it's Jor-el any more, sending the messages etc. Basically every action Jor-el has taken has been one the character of Jor-el would never make. Is this general Zod tricking Clark perhaps? Man I hope so. All this aside, I think I would still like the show, as I don't mind fresh angles if they can do something with them. No, I am afraid it's one character and the actress that plays her that ruin it.

Kristen Krusty, or whatever her name is, is one of the worst actresses I have ever had to watch. Her lines are terrible, so the writers are partly to blame, but she is can't act at all. Iactually had to force myself not to change the channel two weeks ago, in a particularly Lana heavy episode involving an Arkham Asylum rip-off. She is nauseating.

I mean, I sit through two seasons of her whining to Clark, and once he gets sick of her, they bring in some random kid to set up the same lame scenes with!!

Note to writers of Smallville: Lana Lang is an uninteresting character in the comics, and hence they don't center around her. Take the hint.

Chloe/Lois Lane is such an interesting character and the girl they have playing her in ten times the actress. Funny how she has been swept aside, I guess Alison Macks's agent didn't sleep with the right people or something.

Meh, to much said already for this disappointing show. At least the lex storyline is still interesting.

Funny thing is, the show airs right before Angel, a show I love that is in a DISMAL season right now and is on the tail end of a long run (including Buffy). Angel is still written ten times better, and the show is all done idea wise. They are struggling for arcs and they still produce a better show than the 'Ville on a regular basis. Arg!! All the fresh material they could use for Superman and the show centers around a sobbing, chattering, malcontent high school kid. BOOOOOOOO

Alas, I will be watching tomorrow

I feel the same way as you, im sick of seeing lana everywhere, and i'm in high school (be kind) and the school gets money for advertising shows and stuff, so they have this one poster for smallville and it shows lana in the front and clark and lex just hanging out in the background. And whenever I see it i say, that seems about right.

Lets put a smile on that block
Love Smallville. Cant wait for the new series over here in the UK!

love smallville!! it and joan of arcadia are the only ones i tape. go to the devotedfansnetwork to chat with fans of the show.

i watch smallville weekly as well... sometimes they come up with a very interesting show, which is few and far between

but i think that i would have to agree with sedai...i do enjoy the show but i seriously think that the writers are running out of ideas very quickly...frankly i don't know how they are going to keep the show running until next season...

This week's "Smallville Velocity" seems to uphold this theory, a direct template off a recent film. Other than that not much Lana this week so it wasn't to painful, although the anvil shaped messages about driving fast and knowing when your friend might be in trouble were pretty asstastic.

Season Finale last night, and I must say I thought it was spectacular, with shades of (and a great homage to) the original film. Excellent plotting and some good acting as well. I even dug Lana's part....

Originally Posted by Sedai
Season Finale last night, and I must say I thought it was spectacular, with shades of (and a great homage to) the original film. Excellent plotting and some good acting as well. I even dug Lana's part....
Did they show the new Batman trailer footage? 7 minutes of it i think. I have to wait till next week to see the finally here and i'm sure that trailer will not be shown in Canada.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I loved the first few seasons, but it got really predictable and repetitive and I stopped watching. Tom Welling is still the pretties thing I've ever seen. And I love the guy who plays Lex. But yeah, the show has developed some serious holes.

Originally Posted by Escape
Did they show the new Batman trailer footage? 7 minutes of it i think. I have to wait till next week to see the finally here and i'm sure that trailer will not be shown in Canada.
It was 10 minutes..but there is a sneak peek of it
here

Originally Posted by Sedai
Ya, i thought it was pretty cool, but i'm not so sure if it follows the storyline exactly. I remember when Clark was in high school Lois was like 5 or 6 years old riding in a train in The Superman: Movie and he met Lois at the Daily Planet. But i still like the show can't wait until season 4 comes out on dvd Sep-13-2005

Originally Posted by Tazz
Ya, i thought it was pretty cool, but i'm not so sure if it follows the storyline exactly. I remember when Clark was in high school Lois was like 5 or 6 years old riding in a train in The Superman: Movie and he met Lois at the Daily Planet. But i still like the show can't wait until season 4 comes out on dvd Sep-13-2005
Stay tuned to DVD Alliance for up to the minute news on Smallville

Originally Posted by Tazz
Ya, i thought it was pretty cool, but i'm not so sure if it follows the storyline exactly.
Right. Hence my "shades of" comment. I don't think anyone said is matched the film exactly in any way, just a simple homage.