Movies that should be remade.

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
A lot of people hate remakes for some reason, even though there are some good ones out there, but there movies that I feel should be remade, because even though the original is good, there are different ways to put a spin on the material.

Three movies I can think of that I would like to see remakes of are Jaws, First Blood, and Die Hard for example. I know they are classics, but you can still put a new spin on the material, and just because you do, doesn't mean it's the rape of your childhood, like a lot of people consider remakes to be.

But what do you think?

I was like oh wow what a great thread....and then I saw your choices.

Die Hard and Jaws should never be remade, you can do a prequel to Jaws based on the Indianapolis.

7 Remakes I want to see

The Princess Bride(1987) - I would love to see Julie Taymor or Bryan Fuller take a crack at the 30 year old classic.

The Wizard (1989) - I'm dating myself here, but with the jumps in technology and a field of very talented young actors around today I can imagine a kick-ass version of this movie.

Fantasia (1940) - I want an IMAX Fantasia

Revenge of the Nerds (1984) - This is one of those movies where an all-female version could work really well.

Fantastic Planet (1973) - The original is a weird animated classic, I think the world is ready for a live action version.

Ravenous (1999) - The low budget nature of the cannibal/slasher/period film with a great first act and weak second act. Ideally a remake would just focus on the first part.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1956) - For me this is the American Christmas Carol a story so good it should get a new take every ten years or so to adjust to different social norms.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Sorry It didn't occur to me there could have been previous threads about it. The reason why I mentioned Jaws, First Blood, and Die Hard, is cause all three are based off books, and the books have elements in them that the movie left out.

If those elements were used in the remakes, it could make for interesting new takes on the stories.

Welcome to the human race...
They already did a remake of Mission to Mars, it's called Interstellar.

Oh, I don't know. Having looked it up, it doesn't seem like Interstellar's a remake of M2M! On paper, though, it sounds like a very bad movie, to me, but it rates at 71% on the tomatometer!

Welcome to the human race...
What was your sarcasm level at?
Pretty low, actually. The main difference is that Mission to Mars doesn't burn an hour on a strained father-daughter relationship being ripped apart by time dilation.

Hey Joel, you just reminded me that they should remake Vampires.

Best thing to do is take a movie that had decent premises or could have been great, but weren't executed that well.

The Thing (2011)... should be completely redone... with a full Norwegian cast, fully subtitled... with a new story instead of just being a remake of the movie it was trying to be a prequel to, which also managed to retcon the original at the same time.

Also, mentioned above ^^ Jaws... it has already been remade several times, Deep Blue Sea, The Meg etc... and sometimes with other creatures like Crocodiles and stuff too.
Basically any creature feature made after Jaws, is trying to be Jaws.

Waterworld could do with a remake though.
Love the movie as it is, but, there was so many unused ideas and stuff that was filmed and cut from the final movie.
Could be a proper epic movie, especially given today's media panic mongering about global warming.

I still agree with Iank though the "gullible" comment is harsh. I think a lot of us become curious when something different is done with an old favorite. But I think it's better for filmmakers to add something to a series or genre instead of rehashing the same stories.

Hey Joel, you just reminded me that they should remake Vampires.
Doesn't help the market has become so oversaturated with Vampire films/TV I'd agree but that does stand out as good idea that flounders rather after the opening with Carpenters declining powers and budgets.

Honestly I tend to think that its not actually remakes that are the main blight on modern cinema but rather sequels that trade on the origin films success. The likes of the Alien, Predator, DIehard, Terminator, etc franchises becoming convoluted messes that depend on their direct links to the originals too much. If we get more of any of these I'd preffer to just see the cord cut and a direct remake given to someone talented.

I mean horror films especially have always traded heavily on remakes/re adaptations, in the golden era you had the likes of Body Snatchers, The Thing and The Fly. As mentioned with the first of those being a remake allows for the film to reflect a contemporary view far more rather than a sequel/prequel tied into referencing the original more. I mean recently Fury Road whilst nominally a sequel is actually more of a remake/reboot.

Why is it that the only movies that get remade are the movies that rocked when the first came out? The films that really could have benefitted from being remade never get noticed,in that sense.