Why Do You Post Here?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
If you're implying the thread closure is censorship, that's utter nonsense. First, because this forum is private property. Second, because the thread's been open a year and has over 1,300 posts. And third, because all of those supposedly "censored" opinions are being left up, in perpetuity, for anyone to see.

So what's being censored, exactly? Seeing that exact same opinion expressed again? You think if you express an opinion 100 times, but don't get to do so a 101st time, you've been "censored"?

FYI: this post should not be taken as an invitation to litigate the decision. But I need to point at, if only once, how utterly ridiculous this charge is. I'm sure people will whisper and gossip and re-affirm to one another that they're all martyrs for the cause. I can't stop such self-serving myth making, but I can point out how irrational it is.
Genuine question here, what happens next time there is an attack, maybe even a really big attack? Just don't discuss it here or what?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
What everybody else did before that thread opened - still talk about it rationally (if possible).

It's a fair question. I was planning on taking it case-by-case.

Obviously, if something monumental happens, it would be ridiculous to ask people not to discuss it. Discussing terrorism is not against the rules. The issue is with having a de facto log, where literally every terrorist attack (any incident, actually, even if it turns out not to be terrorism) is used to call everyone back from their corners.

And in that event (God forbid), hopefully the relative rarity of the topic, and these past experiences, will help people engage thoughtfully and tread lightly.

I post here because I can and I like it here. It isn't my right however. I take so much for granted nowadays that sometimes it takes me a few weeks to come up with an opinion about how I feel about something. This is a private site and I think Chris is in a kind of sh*tty position, really. He has to moderate the human condition most days. Good luck with that.

I think his decision the other day was a good one. I don't pay dues here, I shouldn't be able to just attack people, even if I want to. Chris does a really good job balancing that out. And remember folks... you can go round and round with him for days. But ultimately, he's doing this because of US. Not because of him.

I decided to use the term anglophone instead of anglo-saxon because I felt some people might get offended by the term anglo-saxon.

In Brazil we use the term "Anglo-Saxon America" to describe the US and Canada. We use the term "Hispanic America" to describe Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, Chile and the other stuff that speaks Spanish and "Portuguese America" to describe Brazil.

We call the countries that speak English, "Anglo-Saxon countries", that is, US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.

Also, I have a Norwegian friend who also used the term "Anglo-Saxon countries" so apparently it's not unique for Brazilians.

Well, if he doesn't like it, he can give up the forum and stop doing it. He's not a victim. He isn't being forced to run this place.
Not sure why you keep trying to pick a fight with me. I'm not the one you're pissed at. If you don't like his policies, you're free to leave... as you have on numerous occasions if memory serves. I can be just as nasty as you, you know...

I post here for a few reasons. One reason is that I enjoy attention. Another reason is that I like to know what other people think about movies. I also like being entertained with reviews by others and hearing stories. Another reason I post is so I can continue to succeed with online friendships, which I have sort of found here after many years of being a freak at bluray.com. At bluray.com I'd usually give my 2 cents about a movie and ask lots of technical questions. Well, a lot of those users over there have no sense of humor and are just plain miserable and snotty. So I called them out and got banned a few times for it. So I came here..to behave and try to be an adult, and talk movies (since I learned about technology of film transfers etc, earlier). I like the set up here. It has a nice interface. I dig the notifications. It's like a FB without the old obligatory high school friend requests and judgemental family members watching you carry on and..and judging you. No one knows me here even though my name is already out of the bag. I also like to make myself laugh by typing. So far, I haven't chuckled once. Maybe next time.

You've said things that made me react in a way that might have seemed negative, but I'm not trying to fight with you. It's just... they've got a reaction out of me. Maybe not the best thing to hear, but, it's what I thought.
You lost me a little bit here. What are we talking about? I apologize, I'm on now more than I have been for the last two years or so I may have missed something and not realized it. I like to think I "get" you probably more than maybe most of the folks on the board. This seems kinda private. Wanna pm me?

We call the countries that speak English, "Anglo-Saxon countries", that is, US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
Americans speak English?

I post here for a few reasons. One reason is that I enjoy attention.
That's an interesting reason to post here.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Poor things don't know their fannies from their bums.
LOL. Or their g strings from their flip flops. Awkward.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Oh? I haven't heard that one.

LOL I stuffed my wording. I meant Their g strings from their thongs. Derp. Joke fail.

LOL I stuffed my wording. I meant Their g strings from their thongs. Derp. Joke fail.
(I think you're missing the joke...the joke was that Americans actually got the meaning of the word "fanny" wrong, and continue to do so. I don't think they confuse meanings of the words you offered).

I used to post here mainly about movies about 12 years ago. But the reason I stayed was because there's a particularly anti-muslim anti-arab feel on the miscellaneous part of the forum and I felt it was my duty to show anyone who stumbled upon this corner of the internet that: NO, we do not all hate Muslims. Islam and Arabs are an important and welcomed part of our world and I will always stand in the way of bigots, racists, anti-Semitism, islamophobia, and all other similar things that prove our species is not as evolved as we think it is.