Why Do You Post Here?

Tools    

First of all i can see this becoming controversial and that's not my intention (i'll explain my intentions below) so i'm going to repost Yoda's new guidelines and a link to the thread; please just try to be civil so this stays open i know i'm worse than most in this regard:

Hi everyone,

Throughout this site's history, we've allowed virtually any topic to be discussed. This has led to many heated discussion, though we've generally told people they can expect some latitude in the moment as long they don't let it go too far, and make a good faith effort to be civil and substantive. Until recently, this worked well.

But this lassez faire approach was contingent on most of the people buying into both sides of that informal, pact, and over the last several months, the arrangement has broken down. Virtually every political discussion has devolved into sarcasm and ad hominem attacks, and the arguments that do get sprinkled in are increasingly mere contradiction. In some threads, there's been no trace of any desire to even persuade, let alone understand.

Therefore, we've concluded that a new standard is needed. Here it is, in a sentence:

Any controversial topic in the Intermission forum is going to be moderated very, very strictly. Threads will be closed or removed faster. Posts will be edited or deleted faster. Temporary bans will be issued for multiple offenses, and provocation, unless extreme, will not render someone exempt from any of it.

Basically, whereas the practice before was "it's a heated topic, so it's okay if you go over the line now and then," the practice now will be the opposite: "it's a heated topic, so you need to go out of your way to be civil and stick to the topic." It's on you not only to avoid crossing that line, and in many cases, that's going to mean not straddling it constantly, either.

If you have feedback on this change, or merely want clarification, please PM me.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=49561

Okay, i think there's a few members at all times that i always complain about because they don't post outside of Intermission Threads. I think i'm too readily easy to dismiss them and pin some problems on them.

So @Wplains @Don Schneider why did you join a movie site to talk about political issues.

Or did you join it for another reason and end dragged into political issues or whatever?

I post on this g0dd@mn site so I can tell all of you @#&%ers to go #%&! yourselves! And that all your #@&#ing stupid movies $uck! That's why!
Two years I've been doing this $#%@ now and tonight's my second anniversary "Friday night bash."
So bottoms up all you &$%#ing b!otches!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I invited a super nice person here yesterday because she loves movies and I said there are some incredible movie fanatics on this board. Huge wealth of knowledge about film. Lots of recommendations, great film reviewers etc. Hilarious fun in bananabox.

She joined yesterday but got held up. She runs q few groups in facebook which is how I know her. she's like the lady version of Yoda

She joined yesterday but got held up. She runs q few groups in facebook which is how I know her. she's like the lady version of Yoda
I'd suggest not bringing attention to her haha.

You are great Captain. I think some of your views are horrific but whatever that's not what this thread is about.
I am a horrific person with horrific views - fearfully and wonderfully made.

I was sad when I first came to this site and found that the slot I wanted to fill was already taken by @Sexy Celebrity (and you can't have two Sexy Celebrities)!

But seriously, you can blame @Citizen Rules and @gbgoodies for me being here - they invited me here when I got banned from the eBay boards for NOT breaking any guidelines that they could actually cite, but for not towing their PC line.

Because I think I might be a closet masochist.

Actually I joined because I was on a different movie board (not IMDb) and didn't like the atmosphere there and it didn't feel like a community. So I googled movie forums and found this. I mostly came to talk movies, but being a veteran of other boards I also wanted lively discussion about other things. I wanted a board that felt personal. That was almost 8 years ago. There are people here that I can't stand and there have been times when I've considered leaving, but there are also some people here that I genuinely love interacting with.

Because I think I might be a closet masochist.

Actually I joined because I was on a different movie board (not IMDb) and didn't like the atmosphere there and it didn't feel like a community. So I googled movie forums and found this. I mostly came to talk movies, but being a veteran of other boards I also wanted lively discussion about other things. I wanted a board that felt personal. That was almost 8 years ago. There are people here that I can't stand and there have been times when I've considered leaving, but there are also some people here that I genuinely love interacting with.

Love you so much. i do think////

I post here because IMDB.com disappeared. I posted on IMDB.com for about 10 years. I found this site accidentally. I was posting for several years on a website totally unrelated to movies, etc., but that website was over-moderated. You almost could not burp there without receiving an "infraction". The owner of that site was extremely pleasant & gracious, but she allowed her mods to overstep their boundaries.

I post here because IMDB.com disappeared. I posted on IMDB.com for about 10 years. I found this site accidentally. I was posting for several years on a website totally unrelated to movies, etc., but that website was over-moderated. You almost could not burp there without receiving an "infraction". The owner of that site was extremely pleasant & gracious, but she allowed her mods to overstep their boundaries.
haha

Because I love movies and wanted to be part of an online community that also loves movies.

MoFo gave me that and more.

And.. I totally agree with Yoda clamping down on the threads that can just be flame and troll bait and turn into slanging matches because someone doesn't agree with someone else.
I don't go into the politics threads or world-issues threads, terrorism threads et al, simply because I joined MoFo to talk about something that isn't those things.

Watching a movie, is an escape... logging into MoFo, is also an escape.

Hope to see you all in the chat room in about 10 and a half hours to watch Predator!!!

Hope to see you all in the chat room in about 10 and a half hours to watch Predator!!!

OMG, Thanks for the reminder, Rattus

Let the night air cool you off
At first I posted here because I was looking for a good movie site that did lists where the members voted on the films. I was part of some other forums that did stuff like that, but the community wasn't as pleasant as the one I found here back then. I don't watch as many movies now, but I found some people I like here, so I stick around and make a post or two every now and then.

i think people regularly ignore IRO and they shouldn't.

They shouldn't, IMO.
I like him. He'll probably now tell me to go drown myself and I'll say - well that's pretty easily done because it's raining here so I'll just step outside and swim with sharks. Back soon