THE MOFO CHILL CLUB

Tools    

Hey guys, I know it's lame but I took a picture of myself for my avatar. What do you think? I've lost some weight.
Woooooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. Always had you down as being an asian female

(I did think of making my new avatar Knives Chau.)

Master of My Domain
(I did think of making my new avatar Knives Chau.)
Have you read the Scott Pilgrim comics?

Master of My Domain
Nope, just seen the movie.
Man, you should read the source material! The movie's in my Top 100 for sure, but the comics ruled my life for a while; it had that much of an impact. Great characters, action sequences, and super-quotable lines. They also explain some plot inconsistencies found in the film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Can I get some opinions....

I currently work at a job that is a 3 hour a day commute, in a dirty warehouse that is physically demanding on my body with a team that isn't what it use to be, free parking, making $49K a year. Prominent company that *might* move closer to my house, cutting about 40 minutes off my commute.

I interviewed at a new place that is $30K a year, 40 minutes a day commute, non-physical in a clean office setting, working from home every Friday, paid parking, small start-up company with room for advancement.***

Money is tight, but we're making it work. I feel like if I take this new job, it'll be a big lifestyle change, but is it worth the pay cut? I know everything in life isn't about money, but we're just getting by, this might make things a bit more difficult. Yet on the flip side, I won't be spending as much money on the car maintenance and gas. The wear and tear on the car and my mind will be virtually zero now.

***They also play a lot of Mario Kart on their downtime. But don't let that factor in.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I currently work at a job that is a 3 hour a day commute, in a dirty warehouse that is physically demanding on my body with a team that isn't what it use to be, free parking, making $49K a year. Prominent company that *might* move closer to my house, cutting about 40 minutes off my commute.

I interviewed at a new place that is $30K a year, 40 minutes a day commute, non-physical in a clean office setting, working from home every Friday, paid parking, small start-up company with room for advancement.***

Money is tight, but we're making it work. I feel like if I take this new job, it'll be a big lifestyle change, but is it worth the pay cut? I know everything in life isn't about money, but we're just getting by, this might make things a bit more difficult. Yet on the flip side, I won't be spending as much money on the car maintenance and gas. The wear and tear on the car and my mind will be virtually zero now.

***They also play a lot of Mario Kart on their downtime. But don't let that factor in.

Your time is worth something. Plus, if you think that you'll be happier at the new job, then maybe you should strongly consider it.

However, keep in mind that it's a "small start-up company", so it has no track record for success. Do you have a fall-back plan if the small company fails?

Basically, it sounds like you'll be happier if you take the new job, so you have to figure out if you can afford to take that size pay cut, and if you think the job is secure for the long-term.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
He's not, but I love @Swan regardless of him not being one.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My wife use to have a 3 hour commute and she put so many miles on her car that she had to buy another car every few years, and gas cost was extremely high too.

Do the math, figure out over a period of x number of years at your current job how many extra miles you'll drive and how often you'll have to replace the car, buy tires, oil changes, gas, and mechanical repairs. When you factor those cost, compared to a close by job, the difference in pay cut might not be as great as difference as it initially seems.

@TheUsualSuspect I agree with pretty much everything CR and gbg have said.

Take a look at the numbers, see if you can really take the pay cut and estimate how much wiggle room you'll have if things change. This change will bring a lot more time with your family/for yourself and the easier days you have will make a big difference on pretty much everything, too.

I'm someone who needs security, but I'm also someone who values their free time a hell of a lot more than any employer ever will and the commute you're talking about alone would be enough for me to seriously consider any move.

For me, it would all be about how promising the start-up company is and how much growth potential I'd have (both money-wise and function-wise). Do you have a clear view on that?

All in all, a job being less physically demanding and MUCH closer by is always worth a significant pay cut, in my opinion. It also seems like you'd be happier with your new job. From the information I have now, I'd go for the new adventure!

Follow the Mario Kart. 3 hour commute?! I'd be "screaming like banshee" with that drive everyday. 49k a year isn't bad money for us commonfolk, and 30k is a bit less...but life is much too short to be miserable (as I ready myself for another 70 hr workweek in a dirty warehouse)....what's the wife think if I can ask?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Make Lisa a catwoman and I would watch the entire film.

I'm surprised Greta Van Fleet didn't just call their debut album Greta Van Fleet I.

Tomorrow at 4pm EST, 10pm GMT+1 I'll be joined by one of our younger members @Violetlvr, and most probably the spirit of Jason Voorhees. That's about all I can predict, so be sure to tune in and find out.

As usual, the lines will be open as soon as we settle in, the number is still 0-800-CATCHAT, and we'll still be trying to guess what our guest is wearing.

That color bar is freeballin'
@Captain Spaulding mentioned it while it was IN MY HEAD, but perfect song, and in fact, song MoFo SHOULD cover is... Tom Petty's FreeBallin'.
Yeah you know it has to be done....