There Will Be Blood

Tools    

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced they will be releasing Paul Thomas Anderson’s There Will Be Blood onto a 2-disc HD-DVD (SRP $39.99) and standard DVD April 8th. Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Dillon Freasier and Paul Dano the film will be presented in 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen 1080p, along with English Dolby TrueHD (for HD-DVD) and English,French and Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround Sound (for DVD) audio tracks. Subtitle options are also available. Extras for both formats include four featurettes, two additional scenes and trailers. Complete details are below.

There Will Be Blood will be available in both a barebones Single and 2-Disc Special Edition standard DVD , as well as Two-Disc HD-DVD. Features for 2-Disc are as follows:

Technical Specs
  • 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen (1080p on HD-DVD)
  • English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound (HD-DVD Only)
  • English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround Sound
  • English SDH
  • English, French and Spanish Subtitles

Supplements
  • 4 Featurettes: "Dailies Gone Wild", "The Story of Petroleum", "15", "There Will Be Blood - Pics, Research, Etc."
  • 2 Additional Scenes: Fishing, Haircut/Interrupted Hymn
  • There Will Be Blood Teaser Trailer
  • There Will Be Blood Theatrical Trailer

(Revised Coverart)

As much as I love the movie - I'll probably get the one disc version - because the second disc has barely any extras on it. Depends on how much more it cost though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You know what? I could never really tell from your review why you liked it so much. It certainly is not fast-paced or -edited. I would have thought that you would have immediately tossed it at the beginning. How, for example, did he get himself and his broken leg out of the middle of nowhere? Oh yeah... they edited the movie.

I should have waited. I will probably cancel my pre-order.

Paramount has requested that all versions of There Will be Blood be taken down from sites as pre-books and to await further annoucement about this title.

I'm guessing they're going to wait so they can have a Blu-ray version ready for day and date with the other versions. We'll have to see if the release date changes when they re-announce it.

I cant wait to see this movie. I didnt want to see it at first, but after watching the oscars im going to get the book tomorrow and read it after finishing No Country For Old Men, and hopefully check this film out once the DVD is out.

Though Paramount has yet to detail its Blu-ray transition plans, it looks like at least one of its previously-announced HD DVD titles won't be hitting store shelves as originally planned.

Announced just last week, the April 15th release of 'There Will Be Blood' would likely have been among the biggest titles to hit HD DVD this Spring, but following Paramount's announcement that it will re-embrace Blu-ray, the title has quietly been removed from from the studio's official media website.

At press time it wasn't clear whether the cancellation was a direct result of Paramount's move to Blu-ray. The studio has yet to provide a timetable for its first Blu-ray releases, nor has it commented on the fate of its upcoming HD DVD slate.

Paramount still lists over a half a dozen HD DVD titles for release through early Spring. Here is a complete list of previously-announced Paramount/DreamWorks titles that remain officially scheduled as of this writing:

February 26: 'Beowulf'
March 4: 'Into the Wild,' 'Things We Lost in the Fire'
March 11: 'Bee Movie'
March 25: 'The Jack Ryan Collection,' 'The Kite Runner'
April 1: 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'

Source: Hi-Def Digest, Hi-Def Insider

You know what? I could never really tell from your review why you liked it so much. It certainly is not fast-paced or -edited. I would have thought that you would have immediately tossed it at the beginning. How, for example, did he get himself and his broken leg out of the middle of nowhere? Oh yeah... they edited the movie.
It was pretty fast for me , something is always happening - there are never shots where it's just completly pointless. As for his broken leg - I can't even remember that part , but it's obviously not a huge important plot hole.

Well i got the book today...but some jackass decided to steal another book and just so happened to take the sticker scan thing off and put it on the middle of page 246 of the copy i just so happened to buy XD. So tomorrow im getting another copy. I finished No Country For Old Men today. Amazing book.

Specialty Films Cinema
I drink your milkshake. Hahaha. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Looks to be awesome.

Another good, well-done film. I must say there were a lot of fires. I felt sorry when the little boy got injured, and was glad when he finally recovered and returned to normal, although I daresay the fact that his father didn't see to his son's rehabilitation until he was pressured into doing so by the church minister was disgusting and disgraceful. The son "got even" when he got older by moving elsewhere and refusing to be involved in his father's business. The ending was rather grisly, though.

I finally got around to seeing There Will be Blood a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it primarily because of Lewis's great performance. He reminds of Paul Muni in the way he takes on a role so that he looks and sounds different with each character he plays.

I also liked that the story was about the early oil industry, something I know a thing or two about. Except that the promoter appeared to be buying unnecessary surface rights in addition to mineral rights, they mostly got it right, especially the part about draining oil from the property that the one holdout wouldn't sell. Serves the sucker right for trying to jack up the price. But they should have figured out real fast that it was a hell of a lot safer to stand on the rig floor and bail oil out of the cellar with buckets tied to ropes instead of going down in the cellar where you're trapped like a rat if something falls or the oil ignites. And only Hollywood would let a gusher blow that long; real oil men know that's money coming out of the hole and have a blowout preventer in place. They got extinguishing the well fire exactly right, however. Ol' Red Adair couldn't have done it any better.

Two things I didn't believe, however. The kid's anger at his adopted father to the point of trying to set his sleeping quarters on fire--after all, it wasn't the old man's fault the kid was up on the roof of the engine house and got his eardrums busted by the blowout. Also, I don't believe the father's later claim that he never cared for the kid and only kept him around to softsoap the royalty owners. No one can show so much love early on to a kid that he doesn't like.

Other than the fact it was named after the book, what does the title There Will be Blood come from? Blood was the last thing I would have expected from that silly feud.