Movie Tab II

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I tried to watch The New World(2005)
I really want to see it. How come you didn't like it?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Lots to enjoy. Kind of like Man on the Moon meets Leon. Kaufman seems to have got off to a good start with this kooky take on a gen-uine showbiz 'assassin'. Clooney does a pretty impressive job all told on his directing debut (altho i love how the cinematographer lets Georgey take full credit for the weirdly posterised/over-exposed flashback scenes )

Yeah, fun, without being a feel-good fix-up. Nicely handled too

history *is* moralizing
Constantine, 2005 - i'm rewatching the movies i liked recently, no time or almost for new ones. time's against me.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I really want to see it. How come you didn't like it?

Hmmm.... I can't figure out a way to tell you without spoiling it for you.... so, hurry up and watch it....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Posiedon 6.5/10

I enjoyed this one though no character development at all. How could there be when the wave hits 15 minutes in. Special effects were terrific and is what made it an enjoyable popcorn movie for me. Scary thing is, it could happen in real life and I do hate the thought of drowning with no way out. Kind of like I hate the thought of falling from a high mountain or cliff. Oh I'm just a wussy boy who fears everything.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
American Dreamz --- Now this could have been a well thought out drama or a well thought out comedy, instead it was a half arsed event with uneven tones of both. The structure of it was strange - there were storylines that were intriguing but in the end werent fleshed out properly and were lacking some character development e.g. Mandy Moores and Hugh Grants characters.

The whole mini plot of Willem Dafoe and Dennis Quaid was disappointing to say the least - Willem Dafoe being a credible and talented actor lowered himself to this and I think it was a mistake on his agents part. The idea that the president was having some kind of mid life crisis could have been very funny or very touching, but it didn't show what was going on or why and so it was bland.

There are so many things this film could have been if the right kind of effort had been made but it looked pretty half baked. I enjoyed myself a bit but i wont hold my breath for the dvd release.

High Fidelity - Liked it better this time. I'm so definitely hitting 30's headspace

Originally Posted by adidasss
Fight club - on second viewing,yeah, i can definitely see why middle-aged people love this
Why do you say that adidasses?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
The Snake Pit (1948) - yeah, it kept my attention well enough, it was interesting and Olivia de Havilland pulled off a pretty excellent performance.

Originally Posted by Escape
Because he fears middle-age? And soap!

<---click

Originally Posted by Escape
oh c'mon, people stuck in dead end jobs going crazy, realizing that capitalizm and material things will eat your soul, that your life so far has been empty and meaningless, a bunch of middle aged men fighting and destroying their bodies just so they could feel something, trying desperaltely to find some meaning, a new purpose in life, defying the system like a bunch of teenage boys...the entire movie is like a manual for a mid-life crisis...

A system of cells interlinked
Had the flu recently, and one of the days I was stuck in the bedroom with a broken DVD player and daytime cable to watch...

Project X (Kaplan, 1987) Well, at least the apes were cute.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1993 TV) - After foolishly drinking Nyquil at 2PM, I was subjected to a most horrific torture session when the cat knocked my remote off the bed. When I drank the Nyquil, my fever had been up around 976 degrees, and this movie, combined with the drug addled delerium, knocked about seven points off my IQ. Wow, would be the worst visual entertainment ever created, if not for our next entry.

Rolling Thunder (Unsold TV pilot, 1996) After Journey to the Center of Ass, I slipped into the Asslight Zone. Something is actually worse than Night Rider. Imagine Four David Hasslehoffs, but with somehow, less acting skill. Throw in a candy-ass, non lethel, let's shoot the bad guys with marshmellow guns attitude, and you have a furmula for a show that actually made me loose feeling in my legs as I watched. Damn my cat. Damn him.

Ahhh, well enough to venture out to the couch!

I'm All Right Jack (Boulting, 1959) - Wry English film about classism. Seller's makes his first appearance here in an underplayed role that broke him wide open. An enjoyable watch.

The Short Films of David Lynch (Lynch, Various dates) - Actually caught this one last night when I went out for a bit. Love Lynch, Loved this. Alphabet had one girl asking to "please turn it off, I think I am going to have nightmares". Oh yeah!

Images (Altman, 1972) - RIGHT up my alley. A psychotic identity crisis film with absolutely breathtaking cinematography and a bizzare minimal score by John Williams? Sign me up. Could be my favorite Altman so far, aside from Short Cuts, of course...

The Cat Returns 5/5!!
Another Miyazaki classic!

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
A Kiss Before Dying
The Killing

Interesting double-whammy of pre-feminist female characters, but a contrast: the first has a traditional female character who falls prey to a bad guy, as well as a more headstrong young woman who finally connects the dots.

The second has an array of women, but the strong one is a conniving shrew.

Both were pretty good films though. The Killing established writer/director Stanley Kubrick as a Hollywood entity, and tells the story out of time sequence - which I really didn't know was done much before Pulp Fiction. Come to think of it, this has to be an ancestor of PF - there are a lot of similarities.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Breakfast On Pluto (2005, Neil Jordan)

3.5/5

A slow burner, I just wasn't in the mood for BoP for nearly the first hour, particularly Cillian Murphy's Kitten. Too much simpering and not enough depth, frankly I wanted to smack him in the mouth.

But...

This fairytale of a confused young Irish lad in search of his mammy (and him/herself) picked up remarkably in the second half, probably after the injection of the ever wonderful Ian Hart.

Any film that has a pair of CGI robins quoting Wilde and acting as the chorus and Brendan Gleeson giving someone a kicking dressed as Great Uncle Bulgaria (of Wombles fame, natch) definately deserves a look.

Good old Neil Jordan. Just as I'd given up hope he brings me his best film since The Crying Game.

Time Machine (remake) 6/10

One of the movies I didnt generally hate like many others do.