Movie Tab II

Tools    

Nobody cares obviously but for my own peace of mind haha. While doing something on Letterboxd i realized that i forgot to log Odd Man Out which i watched on June 1st, so i added that to my June post.

You can all sleep comfortably tonight knowing that Camo's June Watches post is now 100% accurate.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Ladybug, Ladybug (Frank Perry, 1963)
-
Catfight (Onur Tukel, 2017)

China Girl (Henry Hathaway, 1942)

Broadway Melody of 1936 (Roy Del Ruth, 1935)

Eleanor Powell plans to dance while Buddy Ebsen & Vilma Ebsen “Sing Before Breakfast”.
Johnny Allegro (Ted Tetzlaff, 1949)

Flame of the West (Lambert Hillyer, 1945)

The Best of Everything (Jean Negulesco, 1959)

The Ninth Configuration (William Peter Blatty, 1980)

At a U.S. Army insane asylum, paychiatrist Stacy Keach learns that the Shakespearean director (Jason Miller) there has difficulty working with his cast, including several dogs and a black Superman (Moses Gunn).
The Silver Whip (Harmon Jones,1953)

Stampede (Lesley Selander, 1949)

Shock Corridor (Samuel Fuller, 1963)
+
A Touch of Zen (King Hu, 1971)

Peace-loving scholar Shih Chuh becomes akin to a fighting tiger after he sleeps with fugitive warrior Hsu Feng.
Remember My Name (Alan Rudolph, 1978)

By the Dike Sluice aka Am Siel (Peter Nestler, 1962)
-
Cria Cuervos (Carlos Saura, 1976)

A Kind of Loving (John Schlesinger, 1962)
-

Draftsman Alan Bates marries typist June Ritchie after she gets pregnant when they sleep together. They get married and move in with her mother (Thora Hird), but he feels an unwanted domesticity beginning to cripple his freedom.
From Beyond the Grave (Kevin Connor, 1974)

The Sport Parade (Dudley Nichols, 1932)

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Guy Ritchie, 2017)

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Albert Lewin, 1945)

Influenced by his nobleman friend (George Sanders), naïve Dorian Gray (Hurd Hatfield) lives a life of debauchery referenced by his painting.

Let the night air cool you off
I've been watching a lot of short films this month, and I watched the new Spider-Man movie. (
)

The Land Beyond the Sunset (1912; Harold M. Shaw) -

Twenty Minutes of Love (1914; Charlie Chaplin) -

Entr'acte (1924; Rene Clair) -

The Starfish (1928; Man Ray) -

Un Chien Andalou (1929; Luis Bunuel) -

Mirror of Holland (1950; Bert Haanstra) -

Night and Fog (1956; Alain Resnais) -
+

The House Is Black (1963; Forough Farrokhzad) -

Simon of the Desert (1965; Luis Bunuel) -

Film (1965; Alan Schneider) -

The Crimson Permanent Assurance (1983; Terry Gilliam) -

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992; Aleksander Petrov) -

World of Tomorrow (2015; Don Hertzfeldt) -

Kung Fury (2015; David Sandberg) -

Zygote (2017; Neill Blomkamp) -

Thoughts? Questions? Remarks? Differences of opinion?

Welcome to the human race...
Kung Fury rating is too high, otherwise nothing I feel like I could argue against. Definitely agree with the high rating for World of Tomorrow.

Welcome to the human race...
Another 48 Hrs. (Walter Hill, 1990) -

The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963) -

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (David Gelb, 2011) -

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (Mami Sunada, 2013) -

Deliverance (John Boorman, 1972) -

The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodóvar, 2011) -

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017) -

Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012) -

Woyzeck (Werner Herzog, 1979) -

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972) -

Kung Fury rating is too high, otherwise nothing I feel like I could argue against. Definitely agree with the high rating for World of Tomorrow.
Agreed with Iro on Kung Fury. Night and Fog is perfect. Not seen any of the others.
It's funny, because I was feeling like maybe I was going too low on Kung Fury. The humor is alright, the bit with the phone shill was awful though, but I am way more into the visual aspect of the film than almost anybody else seems to be. The film's aesthetic was on point in my book, which is why the rating is that high. Plus, I am overly generous when it comes to rating things, I like/love almost everything I watch. That might be the result of enthusiasm or proper vetting before I let a motion picture roll before my eyes.

I watched Night and Fog on Blu-Ray this time around, so now I can be devastated with an ultra-clear picture.

As far as World of Tomorrow goes, I flirted with giving it that fifth star, but felt that maybe if I thought the little girl was slightly funnier that would have done it. It's a visual feast no doubt, it's take on the world is very interesting, and a lot of the humor hits, so that is just a nitpicky quibble that doesn't really hurt my experience.

And I want to urge everyone to watch The Dream of a Ridiculous Man. Come for the Dostoevsky adaptation, stay for (maybe?) the best animation in any piece of visual art ever. @Mr Minio said that it might be his favorite animated short of all-time. He's seen plenty of animated shorts, so I think that holds some weight.

I've been watching a lot of short films this month, and I watched the new Spider-Man movie. (
)

The Land Beyond the Sunset (1912; Harold M. Shaw) -

Twenty Minutes of Love (1914; Charlie Chaplin) -

Entr'acte (1924; Rene Clair) -

The Starfish (1928; Man Ray) -

Un Chien Andalou (1929; Luis Bunuel) -

Mirror of Holland (1950; Bert Haanstra) -

Night and Fog (1956; Alain Resnais) -
+

The House Is Black (1963; Forough Farrokhzad) -

Simon of the Desert (1965; Luis Bunuel) -

Film (1965; Alan Schneider) -

The Crimson Permanent Assurance (1983; Terry Gilliam) -

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992; Aleksander Petrov) -

World of Tomorrow (2015; Don Hertzfeldt) -

Kung Fury (2015; David Sandberg) -

Zygote (2017; Neill Blomkamp) -

Thoughts? Questions? Remarks? Differences of opinion?
Excellent selection of movies. It reminds me that i need to see Simon of the Desert.

I too love Night and Fog, The House is Black and Un Chien Andalau which are all excellent!

Im interested in The Dream of a Ridiculous Man by Aleksander Petrov. I havent heard about it or of him. Can you tell something about it?

Im interested in The Dream of a Ridiculous Man by Aleksander Petrov. I havent heard about it or of him. Can you tell something about it?
It's a paint-on-glass animated film that adapts the Dostoevsky short story of the same name about a man's dream the night on which he nearly commits suicide. During this dream he is shown the "truth". I think maybe the description of the plot is really underselling it, as it's not as cliched as I make it sound. It's an existential piece of art that's accompanied by some of the most visually appealing animation you can imagine. The animation looks like actual paintings, and actual paintings that would be respectable to hang on your wall. Also throw in a touch of surrealism, because dream sequences are an excellent excuse to get surreal.

Chance at Heaven (William A. Seiter, 1933)

Wise Blood (Jhon [John] Huston, 1979)
+
How to Be a Player (Lionel C. Martin, 1997)
+
Kate Plays Christine (Robert Greene, 2016)

Actress Kate Lyn Shel in character as suicidal newscaster Christine Crubbock starts to be filled with many of the same depressive feelings.
Bed of Roses (Gregory La Cava, 1933)

Smoky Canyon (Fred F. Sears, 1952)
+
Essays aka Aufsätze (Peter Nestler, 1963)

Heli (Amat Escalante, 2013)

Heli (Armando Espitia) battles the drug cartel, crooked cops and the rapist of his 12-year-old sister (Andrea Vergara), but this is a quiet moment he shares with his wife (Linda González) and son.
Kismet (William Dieterle, 1944)

Lucky Partners (Lewis Milestone, 1940)

Beautiful Budapest (James A. FitzPatrick, 1938)

Mardan (Batin Ghobadi, 2015)

Troubled police officer Mardan (Hossein Hassan) finally learns what happened to a missing man in Iraqi Kurdistan.
An Eye for an Eye (Steve Carter, 1981)

Cousins (Joel Schumacher, 1989)

Scenic Grandeur (James A. FitzPatrick, 1941)

Eldorado XXI (Salomé Lamas, 2017)

Miners work at the highest [5500m/18,000 ft.] settlement on Earth – La Rinconada y Cerro Lunar – in the Peruvian Andes, slaving away for what little gold is left there.
A Prayer for the Dying (Mike Hodges, 1987)

Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (Paris Barclay, 1996)
+
Johnny Dangerously (Amy Heckerling, 1984)
+
The Lure (Agnieszka Smoczynska, 2015)

Two vampiric mermaid sisters come to sing in a 1980s Warsaw underground club.

Mark, have you seen Christine as well as Kate Plays Christine? If so which did you prefer?

Someone told me Kate Plays Christine was much better and i've been more interested in that since, i already know the story so someone preparing for the role was always going to be more interesting to me probably though.

I gave them the same rating. Rebecca Hall is very good in Christine. This one is interesting in that it has a few people who remember or know about Christine while most of them do not. On the other hand, this is supposed to be a documentary, but like many of my recent watches, some scenes are obviously staged and scripted while others are theoretically real. The problem is that you sometimes can't tell which are which. Still, I'd watch both if interested.

On the other hand, this is supposed to be a documentary, but like many of my recent watches, some scenes are obviously staged and scripted while others are theoretically real. .
Yeah, i accept some documentaries are partially staged but the selling point of Kate Plays Christine is that it was an intense journey for her (the actress) and if part of that isn't true then yeah...

Been a mostly monkey week. Which has been pretty fun.

Planet Of The Apes (1968) Not exactly subtle thematically and the script is pretty stilted. Still I mostly enjoyed it. Fills in a blind spot, so, film lover bonus.

Rise Of POTA This used to be miles ahead of Dawn but I like them equally now. Great start to a really good trilogy.

Dawn Of POTA This one really hit me right on a second viewing. Looks absolutely amazing and the story is nice and tight. I really appreciate how these films just don't feel like they are running from set piece to set piece. There is a nice flow and the story continues throughout the action.

War For POTA Worthy conclusion but this film is bloated where the others were not. Everything with Harrelson kind of sucks. Looks just as amazing as Dawn and I love the characters of Ceaser and Maurice.

30 For 30: Mike And The Mad Dog

If you are a NY sports fan or a sports radio fan you should enjoy this 30 for 30 a whole lot.

Day Of Wrath

Dreyer should be my jam. Thematically he is right up my alley. His use of shadow and close ups is phenomenal. Look at that image above, how amazing does his frames look. Something about him leaves me cold though. All three films of his I have watched feel too clinical. Thus far they are lacking the emotional hook I want.

Far and away my favorite film this year. I was skeptical about Nolan making a war film, but I shouldn't have been. This story plays heavily to his strengths. There is not a lot of dialogue. so the impact is all made through the visuals and tension.

I love the array of characters Nolan chooses to focus on. The film has a lot to say about what constitutes bravery and cowardice. It makes no judgements on any of these characters. The situation is such that everyone needs to be evacuated, which can lead to some iffy decisions to say the least. The fact that we have sympathy for everyone despite their actions speaks to the strength of Nolan's script.

I can't overstate how incredible this film looks. Add that to the intense score, and there is never a dull moment. Just a perfect film that my words will never do justice. Nolan's best.

Hey 5/5 for Dunkirk! I've been hearing a lot of good things about it so I guess I have to watch it...Sean will I like it? or hate it?
I think you will love it. Not bombastic, edited really well. Not gory at all. Should be right up your alley.