I'd Be Happy To Give You Movie Recommendations

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Recommend me one of your favourite films.

I don't want to sound generic, but I would recommend my Top 10 of course. If you haven't seen those, I'll add

"Shadows In Paradise" (1986)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I like action movies, but I don't like how in a lot of them, the main hero and villain do not have as much of an arc. Usually it's a supporting character that has the bigger arc. Are there any action movies, where the hero or villain has much larger arcs than usual?

But I mean big moral arcs too, and not just small ones, like action movies, like Die Hard,
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
The action scenarios are going to help my marriage, etc.

I like action movies, but I don't like how in a lot of them, the main hero and villain do not have as much of an arc. Usually it's a supporting character that has the bigger arc. Are there any action movies, where the hero or villain has much larger arcs than usual?

But I mean big moral arcs too, and not just small ones, like action movies, like Die Hard,
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
The action scenarios are going to help my marriage, etc.

Hmmm, I'll need time to think. I don't know if I've ever finished an "Action" movie.. I'm an insomniac, but I was feeling very sleeping within 20 minutes of "Die Hard"....

Speaking of arcs, what would you say distinguishes a thriller from an action movie?

Plenty of big (im)moral arcs in the Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit trllogies if you just adopt a British West Country accent.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Like:
Romancing in Thin Air (2012)
‎The Yellow Handkerchief (1977)
She Was Like a Wild Chrysanthemum (1955)

Dislike
Call Me by Your Name (2017)
Titanic (1997)
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Like:
Romancing in Thin Air (2012)
‎The Yellow Handkerchief (1977)
She Was Like a Wild Chrysanthemum (1955)

Dislike
Call Me by Your Name (2017)
Titanic (1997)
All That Heaven Allows (1955)

Ok, so I scratched off the sentimental stuff, and most of the European movies, and I remember you saying years ago "I hate leftists", so there goes a lot of Italian movies mostly..

Mr. Kinky (1968)

A Generation

My Way Home (1965)

Sudba cheloveka (1959)
Szegénylegények (1966)
Little Fugitive (1953)
Series Noire (1979)
Sult/Svalt (1966)
Abschied von gestern (1966)
Két félidö a pokolban (1961) It Happened in Broad Daylight (1958)
Sundays and Cybèle (1962)
All Fall Down (1962)
Carriage to Vienna (1966)
Home Before Dark (1958)
Interogattion (both parts are on YouTube) -

I didn't like his much (6/10), but you might - Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971)
"Blind Beast" (pink film)... I know you've seen the main Japanese directors, all the Setsuko Hara (who I adore),
Pitfall (1962), Onibaba, The Insect Woman, a few greats by
Teshigahara like "The Face of Another" (1966)

And since you picked one road movie, you might like "Last Chants For A Slow Dance" (1977)... If you haven't seen "Harry and Tonto", its a great road movie...

I'll add those 3 to my watch-list. Thanks.

Ok, so I scratched off the sentimental stuff

and I remember you saying years ago "I hate leftists"
I never said it! My waifu did!
I'm afraid I don't really get Dino Risi's sense of humor, but he's a solid filmmaker, so I might watch this one soon.
Well, recommending a Polish film to a Polish cinema buff makes it very likely he's already seen it. I have. And it's nowhere near Wajda's best.
My Way Home (1965)
Szegénylegények (1966)
I've seen most Jancsó films, these two included. A masterpiece, indeed. His use of long take was unmatched back in his time, and he influenced all the greats every self-respecting cinema buff lists in one breath.
Sudba cheloveka (1959)
Indeed a great film, and a deeply humanistic masterpiece made long before his grandiose, larger-than-life epic War and Peace, it's actually his directorial debut! I mean, he gulps down an entire glass of vodka in this, what a beast!
Little Fugitive (1953)
A damn fine proto-cinema verite goodness.
Series Noire (1979)
One I haven't seen, but kept my eye on for quite some time. I've become quite averse to Polar films ever since a friend kept spamming me with scenes from Le Samurai on a daily basis.
Sult/Svalt (1966)
Yes, I've seen it, too. Probably the best Danish film, although it's based on a Norwegian book.
Abschied von gestern (1966)
And another one from my backlog. I guess I was quite let down by Die Macht der Gefühle, so I put off another Kluge for some time. Maybe it's time to give him another chance?
Két félidö a pokolban (1961)
Pretty good, and the leaves scene is amazing, but seriously, without Stallone and Pele, you can't do match, can you? xD Just kidding.
<insert pedo joke>
Haven't seen it. Frankenheimer is a big hit with Seconds, and a small miss with The Manchurian Candidate, so anything's possible here.
Needless to say, it's a masterpiece! Ať žije republika was already good as hell, but with this movie Kahyna proved he's a beast!
Another American film I haven't seen. There will never be a point at which you've seen all American films. Just too many of them!
Interogattion (both parts are on YouTube) -
Yeah, seen it, loved it, recommended it to non-Polish cinephiles. :P
I didn't like his much (6/10), but you might - Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971)
Yeah, it's a total masterpiece. I've seen all Terayama films except for The Boxer.
"Blind Beast" (pink film)
A wonderful film, one of Masumura's best. I've seen a handful of Masumura films, and obviously the best one is Red Angel. Weird trivia is that Ayako Wakao and Masumura didn't really like each other, and yet made dozens of films together. o.0
Pitfall (1962), Onibaba, The Insect Woman, a few greats by
Teshigahara like "The Face of Another" (1966)
Oh, come on, you really thought I haven't seen those absolute Japanese cinema 101 flicks?
And since you picked one road movie, you might like "Last Chants For A Slow Dance" (1977)
I've seen it. It's great, but my favorite Jon Jost is The Bed You Sleep In.
If you haven't seen "Harry and Tonto", its a great road movie...
I haven't. Thanks for your recs.

I never said it! My waifu did!
I'm afraid I don't really get Dino Risi's sense of humor, but he's a solid filmmaker, so I might watch this one soon.
Well, recommending a Polish film to a Polish cinema buff makes it very likely he's already seen it. I have. And it's nowhere near Wajda's best.
I've seen most Jancsó films, these two included. A masterpiece, indeed. His use of long take was unmatched back in his time, and he influenced all the greats every self-respecting cinema buff lists in one breath.
Indeed a great film, and a deeply humanistic masterpiece made long before his grandiose, larger-than-life epic War and Peace, it's actually his directorial debut! I mean, he gulps down an entire glass of vodka in this, what a beast!
A damn fine proto-cinema verite goodness.
One I haven't seen, but kept my eye on for quite some time. I've become quite averse to Polar films ever since a friend kept spamming me with scenes from Le Samurai on a daily basis.
Yes, I've seen it, too. Probably the best Danish film, although it's based on a Norwegian book.
And another one from my backlog. I guess I was quite let down by Die Macht der Gefühle, so I put off another Kluge for some time. Maybe it's time to give him another chance?
Pretty good, and the leaves scene is amazing, but seriously, without Stallone and Pele, you can't do match, can you? xD Just kidding.
<insert pedo joke>
Haven't seen it. Frankenheimer is a big hit with Seconds, and a small miss with The Manchurian Candidate, so anything's possible here.
Needless to say, it's a masterpiece! Ať žije republika was already good as hell, but with this movie Kahyna proved he's a beast!
Another American film I haven't seen. There will never be a point at which you've seen all American films. Just too many of them!
Yeah, seen it, loved it, recommended it to non-Polish cinephiles. :P
Yeah, it's a total masterpiece. I've seen all Terayama films except for The Boxer.
A wonderful film, one of Masumura's best. I've seen a handful of Masumura films, and obviously the best one is Red Angel. Weird trivia is that Ayako Wakao and Masumura didn't really like each other, and yet made dozens of films together. o.0
Oh, come on, you really thought I haven't seen those absolute Japanese cinema 101 flicks?
I've seen it. It's great, but my favorite Jon Jost is The Bed You Sleep In.
I haven't. Thanks for your recs.

You're welcome, and thank you for the responses. I've always respected your movie tastes and your descriptions, even if I didn't like a couple. I KNEW you would have seen those Japanese 101 movies, but I thought at worst, one might have slipped away, and maybe someone else would check them out... I knew you would have seen most of the European, but some had less than 1,000 votes on IMDB, but I'd definitely give "Yesterday Girl" a shot. It's stylish, and has substance. "Gelegenheitsarbeit einer Sklavin" is pretty good, gave it a 7/10, but most of his seem to be short movies, and finding subtitles has been difficult, especially for the more rare movies, which I'm seeking out because I've been on a slump, in part because I've rated at least 2,000 feature films, and only started consistently rating them when I joined MOFO.

I put out "Mr. Kinky" as an inside joke, and some of his humor is silly and ridiculous, and must admit I went to my "Last Movie" thread, as well as my IMDB ratings (thousands).

But I recommend "Harry and Tonto" first, because its my very favorite movie, because you mentioned a road movie, and because one of the characters is Polish.

I forgot to mention "Adrift on the Nile" (Thartharah fawq al-Nil; 1971). Cairo 30' is very good, as is Cairo Station. Subtitles are available for these, but there are a ton of Arabic movies without them... "Dry Summer" might be my favorite Turkish movie, too.

"Ladybug, Ladybug" is a very good American movie (Frank Perry was quite great until his divorce and writing partner) that didn't get attention oddly enough, despite being released around the Cuban Missile Crisis..

"Ana-ta-han" is a great movie by von Sternberg, and on YouTube. "Next Stop, Greenwich Village" is one I haven't seen in years, but I loved it (Mazursky). "Dodsworth" is a great movie, but Wyler is highly regarded. "One Is A Lonely Number" (1972) is another good non-commercial American movie starring Trish van Devere, who also made a decent movie with her husband George C. Scott called "The Savage is Loose". "The Happy Ending" (Richard Brooks) is also on YouTube, one I liked a lot. I recently saw a "comedy" (which has one very funny part, then again, I have weird humor taste), "Made For Each Other" that is on Youtube and good. "Payday" is another fun movie, also on YouTube, starring the late Rip Torn, who is even funnier in my favorite TV show, "The Larry Sanders Show".... Also on YouTube is "The Incident", which is a great American allegory.

"La Terrazza" is a great Italian movie I just saw, even though I've been a fan of Scola for years. Mastroianni is a bonus to this fine satire about modern life, made in 1980. "Lulu the Tool" is another good Italian movie, but very political. "A Brief Vacation" is an overlooked movie by De Sica that I liked very much.

Glad you had "Series Noire" on your backlog, fine movie, and there's some other good ones with Patrick Dewaere, one of my favorites, but pretty standard movies. You might have seen these French movies, but I gotta recommend "Le Chat" and "Sign of the Leo".

Have you seen all of Aki Kaurismaki? "Shadows in Paradise" is my favorite of his, but I've liked most of his.

ENJOY!

I just saw one -- "The Yellow Handkerchief".... I loved it. Thanks a lot!
Yeah, it's incredible, and a personal film to me. Make sure to watch other Yamada films. He's one of my favourite directors!

Where Spring Comes Late
A Distant Cry From Spring
My Sons
Kabei: Our Mother
A Class to Remember
The Village
Home From the Sea
Tokyo Family

Are all freakin' masterpieces, I can't even... Chieko Baisho is a great actress, too, and an addition to my shortlist of all-time favorites. She's also incredibly charming, and I've only seen her in the films in which she's over 40. Can't wait to watch two early Yamada films with her (Flag in the Mist and Sunshine in the Old Neighborhood) to see how she looked when she was younger. She also starred in Shinoda's Our Marriage (1962) I've yet to see.

Yeah, it's incredible, and a personal film to me. Make sure to watch other Yamada films. He's one of my favourite directors!

Where Spring Comes Late
A Distant Cry From Spring
My Sons
Kabei: Our Mother
A Class to Remember
The Village
Home From the Sea
Tokyo Family

Are all freakin' masterpieces, I can't even... Chieko Baisho is a great actress, too, and an addition to my shortlist of all-time favorites. She's also incredibly charming, and I've only seen her in the films in which she's over 40. Can't wait to watch two early Yamada films with her (Flag in the Mist and Sunshine in the Old Neighborhood) to see how she looked when she was younger. She also starred in Shinoda's Our Marriage (1962) I've yet to see.

"Where Spring Comes Late" was the first one I tried looking up immediately after it finished, but couldn't find it unfortunately. I actually saw the first 5-10 minutes of the beginning again. I'm convinced you'd like "Harry and Tonto", it kinda reminded me of it.

The actress was so beautiful! The dude was such a goon-looking fella, and despite Ken being a convict, they were all good people, and I wanted to get to know them immediately. I know I enjoy a movie when I don't want it to end. I didn't even want to know the time or where the movie was at time-wise...

I also noticed the letter from the beginning had yellow dandelions all over the perimeter. He even seems to walk the same street while he's drunk, it looked so similar. I don't know too many road movies, but I seem to like almost every one.

A great movie like this caused me to reflect on my own life, to compare and contrast. I've already recommended it to others. Once again, thanks! I've been real depressed, which might be a reason for my movie/life slump, but I'm very relieved seeing a great creation (another lament of mine). I better milk this and try to find as many by this director, and Japanese movies in general. Thanks again!

P.S. - Do you have a list of your favorite movies besides your Top 10?

Do you have a list of your favorite movies besides your Top 10?
I guess the list of my RateYourMusic 5/5s is the closest you can get. Also, more than 700 (!) 4.5s, all of them films I really, really love. Sadly, I didn't rate any Yamada 5/5, but it's probably because I'm freakin' stupid. I'm looking forward to bumping a film of his to 5.

Hello I need some Recommendations on some good horror movies that are Not Cheesy.

I like movies that make you think & not just a Slasher in the Woods.

I really liked the 2019 Movie Sweetheart.

Here is a list of other Horror Movies that I really liked:

Don't Breathe
The Village
The Pact

Hello I need some Recommendations on some good horror movies that are Not Cheesy.

I like movies that make you think & not just a Slasher in the Woods.

I really liked the 2019 Movie Sweetheart.

Here is a list of other Horror Movies that I really liked:

Don't Breathe
The Village
The Pact

Check out "Room For Rent" (2019)