Japanese Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
High and Low

For whatever reason I've had a hard time clicking with Kurosawa films outside of Ikiru. I think that the primary story here is an intriguing one but I felt it's delivery to be a bit too slow for me. The length of the film was felt and there were a lot of times I found myself getting detached from the story. The film looks really good and I thought Mifune did a really great job of acting. Kurosawa is one of the better directors as far as attention to detail but sometimes it even seems like he goes a bit overboard with it.

I'm not saying it's a bad film but it definitely could have been chopped at least a half hour and it would have made it a better film. I've always liked films that deal with things such as ransoms so this was something on the surface that should have been a favorite, but it fell a decent amount short of that for me.

While I have all kinds of high praise for Kurosawa I've often felt that way as well. It, at times, seems to bog down the films - exceptional as they are.

If anyone knows where I can get a hold of The Third Murder that would be great! Thanks!
I actually had to go to my library to locate one with decent subtitles - which, I must say, is a first for me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I actually had to go to my library to locate one with decent subtitles - which, I must say, is a first for me.
I think I found one when this first started. I'll just have to backtrack. I only have that and the Nausicaa rewatch left.

Kamikaze Girls (2004)

I first heard about Kamikaze Girls back in 2015 when I was perusing the top 200 Japanese films list made by Kinema Junpo and among the many black and white movies by Kurosawa, Naruse, Ozu, Mizoguchi, and co, and the half a dozen Miyazaki movies, there was this weird fellow: a relatively recent live-action film featuring teenagers. When I watched it I already expected it to be a good film given it was named one of their best films ever by local film buffs but my expectations were easily blown away.

What makes Kamikaze Girls such a great movie is that it is a movie about the most fundamental problem that young people face in life: how to "adjust" to society while preserving individual autonomy and happiness. Made by a culture that is often said to be collectivist, this film shows such stereotype is absolute non-sense: This is an extremely individualistic narrative. Although I was not surprised by its style since it reflects the same aesthetic senses that prevail in manga/anime aimed at a young audience.

Another great thing about the movie is the incredible almost experimental visual style, the over-the-top style of the acting and costumes, and finally the dynamic style of editing: instead of following the typical stereotype of Japanese films being slow and plodding (as was the case with a lot of the nominations here) this movie is filled with so much energy in its 100 minutes that it requires multiple watches so all its details can be appreciated. A truly 100% Japanese movie that does not follow the Western preconceptions of what a pure Japanese movie should look like (i.e. like a slow Mizoguchi film).

10/10

I just finished my last film, Kamikaze Girls. Still need to write a review for it and my 21st HoF nomination. I'll vote in a day or two to ensure I have the order right (it's quite easy this time, only two films are close enough to cause any issues).

P.S. I liked Kamikaze Girls quite a bit.

I just finished my last film, Kamikaze Girls. Still need to write a review for it and my 21st HoF nomination. I'll vote in a day or two to ensure I have the order right (it's quite easy this time, only two films are close enough to cause any issues).

P.S. I liked Kamikaze Girls quite a bit.
Wow, never would have seen you enjoying that.

Kamikaze Girls (2004)

Take a flashback montage from Guy Ritchie, extend it to feature film length, add in characters that could have been at home in later John Waters movies and play it out like a live-action anime. That's how I'd describe Kamikaze Girls. It does sound exhausting, and in a way it is, but somehow it manages not to become a hectic mess.

Momoko is one of the best characters in comedies ever. She's a selfish ass, but despite that, she's adorable (or should I say kawaii) as hell. Her refusal to fit in is both childish tantrum and mature philosophy. Ichiko is not as interesting on her own but provides the necessary contrast for Momoko in her desire to belong. Not surprisingly, they learn from each other and, in the end, they're both better and more whole people. Isn't that what teen comedies are usually about (a thing that often bothers me, but here it just works)?

What sets Kamikaze Girls apart from its ilk is its style (I'm quite sure this is at least partially due to my limited experience with anime as the film seems to be much more like them than traditional Hollywood teen comedies). Its structure, pace, and visual composition are constantly teetering on the brink of chaos, making it feel fresh. There's quite a bit of overacting but, in a sense, the characters do demand it (Ichiko could have used a little more restraint with her machoism though).

At least on the first watch, the beginning feels little off (like an intro that never ends, but that might change on a rewatch because I'd no longer have traditional expectations). I was also bothered by Momoko's apparent asexuality after making sex such a big deal in her initial explanation of the Rococo period. The ending was little weak compared to the rest of the film too, but nothing disastrous. I don't have any big complaints about this. A great nomination that I probably wouldn't have watched otherwise.

intriguing review @pahaK. I've been pretty curious about Kamikaze Girls and this definitely adds to that curiosity.

Also, watched Hanna-Bi and will be getting a review posted in the next day or so.

The Third Murder

A very well directed film from Kore-eda, who obviously has a lot of talent. It was a refreshing thing to see some more modern Japanese films in this Hall of Fame as I've mainly only seen the older popular stuff. But the guy has a ton of talent and it's showcased moreso with this film than in After Life I thought.

The acting is a huge strong point and although my subtitles weren't great I could still make out how the story was progressing for the most part due to it's really strong characters.

The highlight is the technical standpoints of the film though. It looked really pleasing to the eye, there were a lot of cool camera shots and the sound and score were truly great.

My weakness that holds it back I feel is parts of the story can be hard to follow, which again I would just chalk up a lot to being a newbie with newer Japanese films and I would definitely wonder down the road how a rewatch would hold up with this.

I thought it was a very solid film.

I would like to wrap this up by the end of the month. Most are close except Ed so however much time you need Ed. It's no rush really but I think end of the month would be good.

High and Low aka Tengoku to jigoku

Ginjirô Takeuchi, medical intern: I'd rather be told the cruel truth than be fed gentle lies.

This is my second detective film by Kurosawa, the first was Stray Dog.
As I remarked before, like raul, the films I've seen of Kurosawa, for all their greatness - which can not be denied, have had a tendency to drag a bit at times.
This did not.
Along with so many great shots and his usual attention to detail, we get a very full investigation in finding, pursuing and the eventual capture of a kidnapper. None of which had that lull that had caused me to drift on other films, such as Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood and Stray Dog.
I found myself fully immersed, pausing the timer out of curiosity and pleasure of how it moved along for me. Which in itself is a bit of a curiosity since if you asked me, I could not say why this specific film of his kept my complete attention as opposed to other truly great films of his.
But I was.
From the first introduction of Gondo and his fellow Directors of the Board for the shoe company they worked for to the kidnapping, the drop off and the real chase: Finding the kidnapper and capturing him for a greater crime and thereby, the more harsher punishment.
The final third of the film as they followed him as he purchased more heroine was far more gripping than many films I've seen with similar circumstance.

To state a Kurosawa film as excellent is pretty much redundant, but, for me, this is something new, it was gripping.

BRAVO

I would like to wrap this up by the end of the month. Most are close except Ed so however much time you need Ed. It's no rush really but I think end of the month would be good.
Very, VERY kind of you, raul, but I should be able to knock it out much sooner than that.
I'm posting Hana-bi shortly, I'll be watching Kamikaze Girls tomorrow night and with my copy from the library, I'll have Third Murder watched by Sunday. Leaving me with A Hen in the Wind and Afterlife which I'll be trying to watch in the next week, preferably.
If I can get them done faster, I definitely will.

Hana-bi aka Fireworks

Watching this film I was able to discover the more retrospective side of Kitano. Researching, I discovered even more beneath the stilled waters of this gentleman.
Such as, much like the crippled detective who learns to paint, so did Kitano after a very serious motorcycle accident. In fact, all of the artwork in this film was done by Kitano himself.
Another intriguing aspect that pleasantly surprised me was, for Japan, he is far more known as a comedian as opposed as the stoic and violent character he plays in many of his yakuza connected movies.

And so, learning this I felt a deeper appreciation of the movie I was watching as well as the film maker Takeshi Kitano.

While the film pacing as a somewhat erratic behavior to it that takes a bit to get used to, it does pose some great shots, cuts and lingering compositions. As well as see a more touching and at times, amusing side.
With this film, there is a more poetic credence to the more violent crescendo I'm more used to with other films I've seen by Kitano.
And I gotta say, I very much enjoyed it and will be searching out the others that are of a similar nature.

When I first saw that this was nominated, I mistook it for another film that came out a few years before; Sonatine which I've been dying to see and initially thought, "Oh well, I guess this'll be good too."

It was more than that.
It was a discovery beneath the still waters.
F@ckin YAY