Vertigo (1958)- A Club Discussion

→ in
Tools    

Don't want this thread to die. I asked this inside my Vertigo review, what do you think guys?

Just curious with the Psycho explanation talk if anyone has a problem with Judy writing the letter explaining everything?

Here's my answer in spoiilers:

WARNING: "vertigo" spoilers below
I don't i think it was necessary; it had to be explained that Judy/Madeleine wasn't actually Gavin's his wife, it's something that i don't think can be worked out at least easily from the rest of the film up to this point. I find it an inventive way of doing so and it also holds a practical story purpose with Judy/Madeleine confirming that she did have feelings for Scottie that it wasn't all an act.
Hithcock explains that scene in his interviews with Truffaut.

Hitchcock says it's a vital scene, because he wanted the audience to experience Judy's side of the story and all the confusion and (especially) tensions that go with it. Therefore he had to explain what the whole plan really was.

I happen to agree with him here. The information we receive changes our perspective. It makes the whole thing even more haunting and dark and it's very important for the audience to know what happened in order to truly grasp the deeply troubling psychological territories the film is exploring.

I think you describe the inherent darkness of the situation pretty well in this part of your review:

A nice fairly subtle thing during the very brief dinner scene is Scottie being fixated on the blonde who walks in and Judy noticing it, it really cements how traumatized Scottie is by all of this and shows her deep regret over essentially ruining this man's life. Scottie having to take care of and protect her despite her being a very self-suficient, confident woman brings us back to one of the main themes explored here that i'm sure will come up in our discussion. Him trying to turn her into Madeleine is so disturbing on so many levels, and it plays into his need to take care of her since it feels like he's trying to turn this perfectly fine woman into the helpless, troubled person Madeleine was. Then i remember that Madeleine isn't real, she's a creation of Judy; a part she played and yet she can't stop Scottie from changing her into this person that never existed despite having full knowledge of all of this and my mind is blown. "Judy it can't matter to you" is the perfect line here, it can't and it shouldn't but it does. Her self-worth is now tied to a deeply troubled man (troubles she mostly caused), she needs his approval and love to function now and she is re-living the brief life of this completely fictional persona she herself created. Not on a superficial level either the feelings and problems this made up person had are now being transferred to her and she is powerless to stop it. I know it's only a brief couple of scenes before Scottie figures it out but that part of the film is still amazing to me and gets completely under my skin.

It didn't strike me the same as the Psycho scene, but now that you mention it. Why do we let some movies get away with things we call others out on?
Because the problem isn't the "explanation aspect" of that kind of scenes. It's the fact that the given explanations in those scenes are sometimes unnecessary.

In Psycho, it's perfectly reasonable to argue that the explanations at the end do not contribute to the film (even though I don't entirely agree with that, as you all know) and even narrow the events down and therefore weaken the overall story.

In Vertigo, however, the explanations offer valuable context. They are necessary in order to make us experience what follows in the way Hithcock wanted us to. I think it's almost unreasonable to argue that it's a disposable scene in this case.

this movie i would consider one of the top 10 best movie experiences i ever had, and san francisco to me is one of the most intriguing set pieces and filming locations in the history of hollywood, a true classic

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Vertigo

While not my favorite Alfred Hitchcock film, it's certainly a film that I have a deep profound respect for. Obviously Hitchcock and Stewart are a perfect match and it continues to show that in this film as it did in Rear Window. Through the first few times I saw the film I wasn't sure about the chemistry between Stewart and Novak, but I certainly feel like they have a good connection now. Is it Hitchcocks most beautiful film visually? Well, it very well may be. That's one of the strengths of the film. His green and red colors make the characters and the scenes stick out, it's very admirable. It's also admirable how obsessed he makes Stewart's character. His connection to the necklace scene was simply brilliant. I think the film takes off when we are introduced to Judy. That's when it becomes a bit more tense. Seeing Stewart obsess over her being like Madeline is just great filmmaking.

I know I should think it as a masterpiece, but as I've said before there are definitely a handful of Hitchcock films that I would put above it. I feel certain personal lulls to the film that perhaps others are able to look past. But still a very well made film that an aspiring filmmaker can look to for ideas of how to execute.

-

I just looked up the viewing schedule for this Hitch binge and I'm gonna be a lot more involved with those to come...

Psycho and Vertigo I recently rewatched before this whole thing started, while Rear Window for example is a movie I'm equally excited to watch again as I was with Vertigo.

North by Northwest was my first ever Hitch and the one that got me into his works and made me a huge fan, as well as old films in general. I hadn't really watched anything pre-70s (which was EXTREMELY old to me at the time), so this movie and Hitch as a director really showed me what cinema could do and that it was timeless. I was on the edge of my seat like I thought no old ass movie could make me be. It was a wonderful experience and I very much look forward to properly rewatching it for the first time since then.

Dial M for Murder might be my favorite Hitchcock, so that's one I DEFINITELY look forward to seeing again!