Psycho (1960)

→ in
Tools    

Psycho

I can add absolutely nothing new to the conversation about one of the most iconic films of all time. It is especially frustrating to try and put your thoughts into words when you don't find the film to be the masterpiece most do. Before you stab me with a butcher knife let me say I like this film very much. It is my third time sitting with it and I think I am safe saying I have landed where I am going to with Psycho. Through the first hour and fifteen I think this movie is absolutely perfect. I thought of The Birds a lot while watching because I think Hitchcock uses the same technique in telling both stories. Hitchcock Is so patient in his story telling. That's the word that kept coming to mind, patience. Hitchcock spends so much time building to that iconic shower scene that we are squarely in Leigh's corner by the time it comes. Despite her sins we are devastated when that scene finally arrives. There are so many great moments that lead us there. The millionaire she takes the money from, who is just the right amount of creepy. The officer who finds her and tails her. Of course her final moments when she is being sympathetic to one of cinemas greatest villains, Norman Bates.

Perkins bring us the perfect antagonist. His mannerisms and stare are intensely creepy. One of the things that came to mind this time that I don't remember thinking about much in the past is what audiences thought of this character the first time watching it. I am so jealous of anyone who got to see this film free of knowing the twist. I wonder if how I have always felt about the last half hour of Psycho is colored by the fact that I was familiar with what was coming long before I saw it. I will never know but what it doesn't change is what I sacrilegiously find to be the best scene in the film, the dinner between Marion and Norman. I love this scene so much. The tension that is building. The small ways that Hitchcock shows us Norman's capability for snapping. The way that Marion wants to mother Norman who she views as a poor innocent soul. Finally, the way Norman so coldly pulls that frame off the wall and views Marion on the other side. This had to be the moment when audiences knew the fear Hitchcock had been subtly planting was real.

The next scene in the film has been gone through frame by frame by so many people so many times that I feel silly bringing my opinion to it. I will say every frame is intense and perfect. From the stark white of the shower tiles to the simple but effective upward camera shot of the shower head. It's the end of the character that Hitchcock and Leigh have been so patient in letting us get to know. Sadly for me it is where the film goes from perfect to good.

There are still things I love. Perkins is still Norman to the fullest so I am still engaged. I really like the scene between him and the detective and then with Marion's lover. What I don't enjoy so much is the reveal of the dead mother. This moment I think would really be seen better through the eyes of someone not in the know. I don't enjoy the murder of the detective. This feels like the most antiquated scene in the film. Last but not least I hate the last ten minutes with the psychiatrist. Maybe it didn't seem this way in 1960, but I really feel like this is the point where Hitchcock loses faith in his audience. This might be a harsh criticism of a director who always held the audience in the palm of his hand, but I hate it. He spells out everything that we have spent the last hour and a half learning. It is only ten minutes but it takes me out of the film and I am left wishing I felt differently.

Psycho is a great film. One I enjoy going back to because I get to have the feeling that this is the time. This is the viewing Psycho becomes an all time favorite of mine. I get to get to know Marion all over again and go on this tragic journey with her. I get to watch a master at his all time manipulative best. My God, that first hour and fifteen. Hey, maybe there is a directors cut.

Forgot you were doing this, i'll try and rewatch it if i get the the chance. It's gonna be difficult coming up with anything that's not been said though as you pointed out.

Last but not least I hate the last ten minutes with the psychiatrist. Maybe it didn't seem this way in 1960, but I really feel like this is the point where Hitchcock loses faith in his audience. This might be a harsh criticism of a director who always held the audience in the palm of his hand, but I hate it. He spells out everything that we have spent the last hour and a half learning. It is only ten minutes but it takes me out of the film and I am left wishing I felt differently.
Agreed with this, this is the only part of the film i don't like. The reveal of his mum and the detective's death don't bother me but that part does feel like you are being treated like a child; so pointless. Who knows maybe it was needed then, still though.

What one is next Sean? If i find the chance to watch it sometime between now and when it's up for discussion i'll do a write-up in advance so i don't feel like i'm repeating what others have said.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
To start my discussion I remember the last time I saw the film being the first time I was completely in awe with the beginning fifteen minutes of the film. I'm looking forward to watching it again just for that.

Hey now hey now, I thought this started on the 15th!
Some of us work the night of the 15th and didn't want you mofos begging for what will undoubtedly be the busiest thread of February.

What one is next Sean? If i find the chance to watch it sometime between now and when it's up for discussion i'll do a write-up in advance so i don't feel like i'm repeating what others have said.
Vertigo next.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Yeah that stuff with the psychiatrist explaining everything bugs the crap out of me. I do believe there is a fan edit called the "Roger Ebert cut" which removes it entirely.

To start my discussion I remember the last time I saw the film being the first time I was completely in awe with the beginning fifteen minutes of the film. I'm looking forward to watching it again just for that.
I watched it for the second time just a couple years ago and I still felt surprised by quite a bit of what I loved. Which is cool because it made me feel the same way. I need to rewatch films more often.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Have you guys watched the trailer he made for this? I think that this could be an entire talking point by itself, maybe even something you could write a mini review of. If you haven't seen it, hit the play button. Hell, even if you have seen it, watch it again.

It's so wierd and yet it works as a suspence filled trailer when it really shouldn't.

The first 15 minutes are perfect; probably my favourite part of the film. The dinner scene Sean mentioned is excellent too; so well done by Hitch somehow he made Bates briefly seriously unnerving then right back to his harmless, child-like self to keep it convincing that Marion wouldn't have just left immediately. Like she briefly touched on a sore topic and he initially snapped then regretted it, giving her reason to believe it was odd behaviour but not to the point were he'd be dangerous.

I watched it for the second time just a couple years ago and I still felt surprised by quite a bit of what I loved. Which is cool because it made me feel the same way. I need to rewatch films more often.
I've found a lot of redeeming value in watching films for a second, third, twentieth time. My wife isn't big into rewatches unless she absolutely loves the film.

I even rewatch films I don't like like Eyes Wide Shut. Sometimes my ratings change even.

I've found a lot of redeeming value in watching films for a second, third, twentieth time. My wife isn't big into rewatches unless she absolutely loves the film.

I even rewatch films I don't like like Eyes Wide Shut. Sometimes my ratings change even.
I'm usually probably more like your wife but I'm trying to rewatch more. Especially since film has become my main hobby now. My tastes have definitely changed and it's fun to watch stuff through different eyes.

For me it's probably bad memory. After about 3 years I start to lose details of films. Hell I couldn't even write a review of a film if I didn't write it immediately after watching it.

For me it's probably bad memory. After about 3 years I start to lose details of films. Hell I couldn't even write a review of a film if I didn't write it immediately after watching it.
I'm terrible with the details. I remember characters and my feelings real well, but when it comes to trivia I'm a dunce.

Good review, sean, I see and understand the points you make and I agree a lot about what you say. I'm not bothered much about what you critcize, but I do agree - like many others - about the last ten minutes. I always just assumed people were not used to this kind of stuff and they needed to have things explained more - still it doesn't feel like a Hitchcock thing to do. He was pushing boundaries and going against what is "cinematically correct" or common. Anyways, that part is one of the main reasons why this will never be a perfect masterpiece to me, but still an imperfect one great enough to get around 4.5/5 from me.

I feel like I just rewatched this film, but whether I choose to watch it again and do a write-up, here is what I wrote when I put the film on the #2 spot on my Top 50 Horror List...

~His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films~

2. Psycho (1960)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

Alfred Hitchcock is arguably my favourite director of all time, and while Psycho isn’t his best film nor does it receive a perfect score from me, it is still among the best horror thrillers ever created and a milestone in cinema on so many levels. It pretty much pushed the buttons on what would eventually become the slasher subgenre, and did so many things ahead of its time and beyond what you could get away with in the 60s. Apart from its famous twist ending and iconic shower scene, it takes plenty of twists and turns throughout, going through classic Hitchcock themes and a wide arrange of genres as well. You never truly have control of what is happening, which is something I really love about this film…

The pacing within the story and the constant structural consistency is simply spectacular, while the direction is classic ‘cock with plenty of tense sequences and clever cuts, not to forget the amazing and aggressive soundtrack that just rage away almost uncontrollably. A truly great blend of the manic and mysterious, which fits perfectly within the atmosphere of the film. The acting is great all around, but honestly it is Anthony Perkins who steals the show as the weird and intimidating Norman Bates.

Why is it on my list?
So obviously it is a classic; evidently it became an inspiration; clearly it is a respected milestone in cinema... But when it all comes down to it, the most important thing is how great of a film it is in its own right, coming from the mind of a very gifted director.

That's a nice short review MM. I forgot to mention the score. Man, so great. You remember the score from the shower scene we have all done 100 times. What I forgot is how great it is throughout. Really amazing score.

The score is perfection. When you think about how edgy, agressive and "all over the place" the score is, it's amazing how controlled and sophisticated it feels. One of the greatest pieces of music ever imo.

It's not exactly "kick back and relax" music to the ears, but how it is composed and how it evolves is so good I could listen to it extensively. It does have quieter periods, but it still feels like you are "moving" and never quite calm and the menacing danger is always lurking just beneath those strings...